What's new
What's new

Hydraulic Ram Gland Nut Removal

angus murray

Aluminum
I have 3 leaking 10T rams on a Chief frame machine. Bronze gland nuts have 2 small rectangular slots to accept a removal tool which I can't seem to find. I took a chance on an OTC 7463 thinking I might file round tool pins (which all adjustable spanner wrenches seem to have) but really need a wrench w/ rectangular pins. Hammer and punch methods bother me. Anyone know who makes dedicated tools for this application? Thanks in advance for any help.

I've made similar tools in the past as Mike C. suggested or have use key stock welded to the side of a sutiable size pipe with a nut welded on the end for turning. It's quick and dirty but it works.

Your right to avoid the hammer and punch on bronze. Stuff is so soft, your almost certain to derorm it. Then you get to make a new one. Things always snowball on something like this. They probably used bronze to avoid bushing a steel nut with a bronze sleeve. Steel would have been a bit more robust, but depending on the wall thickness, still a candidate to deform with a punch.

if you do need to resort to a hammer and punch method, one thing I have found works well is to use a small ball peen and small chizel that has its end ground down to fit square and to rapidly tap it with light taps. If you think it is stuck at all then use a penetrant before hand. I used this method on an aluminum nut like this and it caused minimal damage.

Usually the bronze gland retainer is the easiest to remove (punch or spanner method).....the trick to these is to release the return spring before you try to remove the ram from the cyl barrel.....

It's connected from under base (if is an OTC style Ram), thru the top of the ram (small hex acorn nut if it's enerpac), or take out the QC coupler and you'll find a screw or roll pin under the fitting(if it's blackhawk style)......

Back