What's new
What's new

OT Forklift Propane Conversion

Your best bet is find a dead forklift and remove the components. There are way more LP FL's made than other fuels. The hard part is trying to find a gasser.

Why would you want to convert it?

Couple reasons: you can run it inside the shop without the CO genie creeping up on you. (It provides some nice heat inside the shop should you require that ;)) Also, provided the battery can be maintained, an LPG engine fires up immediately...no gumming of carbs or other fuel restriction problems you'd face with a gasoline engine which sits around for long periods in between uses.

I replaced the bendix propane system on my Continental engine. For $500 I bought a complete retrofit kit for an Impco system. Every part you need to convert the engine to propane is included, with the exception of the hose to the propane tank. Just go to your nearest forklift repair company and order the kit through them.

lpg is not all it is crackedup to be a lot of work have to clean the system about every 2 months. they put oil in the gas and it gums up the works. i know i work on them at work.

IMO I always liked the systems with the diaphragms in the vertical position as they seemed to last longer between cleanings as they have more oil capacity without sagging to affect the adjustments. Most people also push the accelerator pedal when starting which is counter productive to starting as there is no accelerator pump per say and depends on vacuum to operate the system.Most systems , when properly set, will start by key only, no acc. pedal or VERY little.

Impco vaporizers have a primer button on them. If you depress this button for 10 seconds or so, it greatly speeds up the startup. The old bendix/zenith systems ran pressure all the way to the mixer, so there was no vacuum operated vaporizer. These had a fuel solenoid on the vaporizer (in the coolant outlet). I am very happy with the ease of the impco system, and because they only make a few models, nearly every forklift has the same parts, because the HP range is the same. This means any forklift dealer will have replacement parts in stock.

No Impco vaporizer I have ever seen was vacuum operated. They maintain constant pressure to the carb. You can buy a electric primer coil for the Impco vaporizer that will allow you to mount a "choke" button on the dash for priming. This is handy if the vaporizer is mounted in an inaccessable location. The primer coil wires can also be hooked to the starter solenoid for automatic priming if your system can tolerate that much boost.

The fuel shutoff is vacuum operated from the mixer, the vaporizer has a primer button on it to allow a little gaseous LPG to the mixer, before the proper fuel flow is established. The vaporizer is a Model J and the vacuum fuel shutoff/filter is a VFF30. A remote primer button can be mounted to the Model J and it's operated much like a choke cable, except it's a push button.

Why do I want to convert it? As Matt said;
"Couple reasons: you can run it inside the shop without the CO genie creeping up on you. (It provides some nice heat inside the shop should you require that ) Also, provided the battery can be maintained, an LPG engine fires up immediately...no gumming of carbs or other fuel restriction problems you'd face with a gasoline engine which sits around for long periods in between uses."
It is owned by our Community College and we have the "clean out the carb" routine after every long break.
I need sorces for the conversion parts, or kit. My local forklift dearer wants almost 2 grand to supply the parts and do the conversion. He even quotes $100+ and labor to change a leaky water pump, how he got that notion about a leaky pump, I don't know as he hasn't even seen the machine. Now, know why I want to avoid him and do it myself?
I had several of my own forklifts that were propane and were trouble free.They were IMPCO units, but can I buy them other then from my dealer? I haven't been able to find a website for them yet.
Mahalo,
Doug

I just pulled the propane system off my lift and installed a carb. I got tired of dealing with the propane system all the time and the hard starting. It start and runs a whole lot better now.

I just pulled the propane system off my lift and installed a carb. I got tired of dealing with the propane system all the time and the hard starting. It start and runs a whole lot better now.

Wierd....in all the years I've been moving iron around I don't recall having but maybe one minor problem with a propane lift truck. Besides the reasons Matt lists, gasoline looses octane rather quickly...even with stabilizers best not to leave gas over a year in the tank.

My only annoyance with propane is I seem to use up tanks so quickly. My diesel CAT used to seem to go forever on a few gallons of fuel...but it was pretty tough to use inside the building even with all the exhaust fans on. Say what you will, there is good reason 99 percent of inside use folklifts are either propane or electric. But if you never need to go inside, diesel is the way to go.

Back