What's new
What's new

OT: Funny Machinist Sayings...

Putch

Hot Rolled
We're kind of a small group as far as trades go and I'm sure carpenters have theirs, but what some good sayings you've heard on the job that are kind of related to machining?

The best one I've heard is "I'd like to touch my tool off on that!" about one of the few lady-folks that we ever get to encounter in the shop.:drool5:

Y'know those jobs that SHOULD be simple, but unforeseen or just plain overlooked complications arise on?

"You'll have that on them bigger jobs"

one place I used to work at used to call face mills "chippers". And when I asked why, the explanation was " "because they make chips"!!

Or- "what's a few tenths/thou between friends?" (referring to out of tol specs)
Or going to the boss and telling them- "i made a boat anchor" (scrap part)

When I became a Machine Shop Instructor in a Wisconsin Technical College, when one of my superiors came around and asked me what I was doing, I replied "I'm doing my job, as I perceive it." This answer was always satisfactory and effective. Would work just as well in a machine shop (matter of fact, it was!)

Lord Byron

When I became a Machine Shop Instructor in a Wisconsin Technical College, when one of my superiors came around and asked me what I was doing, I replied "I'm doing my job, as I perceive it." This answer was always satisfactory and effective. Would work just as well in a machine shop (matter of fact, it was!)

Lord Byron

I bet you're a hit at parties

A few we use

Tight fit "Tighter than a ducks arse" (also used to describe someone carefull with money)

Loose fit "Like a dick in a top hat"

Shaft etc running out of true "running around like a turd in a piss pot"

Just thought of another one,
Do any of you guys refer to a burr as a "Raymond" " Just got to get the Raymonds off and it's done"

Veteran machinists would tell the new guys to watch out for one perticular alarm on the machine and they tell them to write it down so they don't for get...
ID-10-T

...i know that was lame, but they got me with it a long time ago.

"Tighter than a dick's hatband"
"Needs to go a cunt hair smaller"
"Ain't got enough power to pull a slick string out of a cat's ass"
"Clapped-out POS" (worn out)
"Finer than frogs hair" (finish/fit related)
"Slick as owl shit" (many uses, but mainly finish related - and on a second note, who originally checked to see just how slick owl shit was?)

Back