What's new
What's new

OT Gage Block ID help.

"Grade "B" exists only in China. How much did they pay you to get rid of them?

Years ago you could find US makers designating their "shop blocks" as Grade B (and A, AA, etc.). True enough it's likely a Chinese maker today (Squareregular??). Today's blocks have numerical grade certifications.

FWIW, I once had a two sets of Taiwanese blocks that were sold by MSC with proper US lab certifications. They wrung and repeated OK. And by selecting the best blocks from either set, managed to get a set that was pretty good.

These days not sure what is most embarrassing -- sourcing something from Taiwan or MSC.

As far as I am concerned, gage block sets like that are a bargain for general shop use.... Probably the least source of error, when compared to other measuring tools, fixtures, surface plates, etc. Of course, I do realize there are times that better ones are needed.

Zero info googling..... But the name "Squaregular" does not suggest "chinglish" to me, it seems more likely to emanate from the brain of a native English speaker.

Might they be fairly old? Being from a garage sale does not suggest recent or new.......

Agree that a set of gage blocks is quite handy to have around, if you have any intention of measuring things to the same standard your customer will. Even a fairly loose spec set of blocks, will, if not stacked up with too many blocks, be adequate for calibrating mics, etc. (assuming the blocks are legit.... ones that don't meet specs are worthless).

Back