What's new
What's new

shed for small "home shop"

sen2two

Aluminum
I finally bought a house after many months of searching. But one of the major things I wanted, I had to give up. Which is A large garage or huge detached shed. I have a lot of car parts, mechanic tools, and 4 cars... So My normal sized two car garage will not fit a lathe and mill comfortably at all. The homes I found with nice detached workshops and larger garages were often beat down or over my price range.

So I was hoping to build a small shed just large enough to fit a mill and lathe with room to work. I don't need a lot of room, just enough to work without hitting my elbows on the wall or machines...

Coming up with a floor sturdy enough to hold these machines without them rocking is the main problem. Oh, since I am unsure at the moment if I would be allowed to pour concrete, I would like to keep that out of the plans.

Any ideas? I have no real experience with this type of work...

If you have a wooden floor, why not cut holes in the floor and cast in concrete pedestals at points suitable to mount your machines on.
Frank

Input from someone in a similar boat...

My 2 1/2 car garage has never had a car in it from the day I bought it. Decades of woodworking tools pretty much filled it up. I've shuffled and reorganized and have managed to cram my woodshop, ceramics shop (wife's) and metal/welding into the space, but there's barely room to function. Each job requires moving my RoadKing out into the drive and usually shuffling around tools. Mobile bases, one by one, for the smaller stand tools are helping, but I'm out of space with a mill just added.

I've been pricing steel buildings, more than a shed, and have come to the conclusion in the 2 years I've been trying that I can't afford one and a slab.

My neighbor runs a trucking company for a living and is currently shopping for a pair of containers with heavy duty floors for us (one for his stone business). The plan is to use one for storage of all my bike parts, stock, etc. and seldom used woodworking tools, freeing up the garage space.

I decided NOT to try to build or set up a detached area for working in, but rather for storing all the extras, leaving the 2 1/2 car garage for the 'working' shop.

Just a thought, and makes it TONS easier to find a suitable substrate if all you're doing is storing or housing smaller less used equipment.

If we can't come up with some containers within the next 6 months, I have my eye on a 20x20 shed/pole barn hybrid type thing and will build a deck with a couple layers of plywood for a floor.

Oh, and the innovation here is that we sketched out some plans for a facade for the containers so they look like the front of barn style sheds :) to keep the neighbors from whining.

If you have something that is removable, like a container or a shed on skids - you will probably pay no additional tax. Anything permanent is likely to increase your tax bill. Something to think about.

Ah, forgot a point... I'm planning to make up a really heavy duty extension cord to run out off some 20amp circuits for any small tools out there that can be used in place. Running electrical will require likely a new meter plus wiring. Think permits and hassle. Even with an electrician friend of mine doing the work and getting some great prices on wire, panel, breakers, etc. I'm still looking at a few hundred to the power company, plus a bunch of digging.

Another thing pushing me towards a running shop in the garage and storage in the back.

............ we sketched out some plans for a facade for the containers so they look like the front of barn style sheds :) to keep the neighbors from whining.
I saw one container that had soil piled against it and over it in a random way. It was part of the garden with grass, plants, and a kids slide down one side.

Florida, surely the cars the live outside? There's 9" of snow on mine right now, fingers crossed for more :)

If there's some sort of decent basement you might want to set up shop in there.

As to making a wood floor for machines, assuming 2-3K lbs each just brace it solid under with close spacing and either a few layers of plywood(not osb, stinks and I hate that stuff) or 2" or 3" thick rough sawn, all screwed down.

Yup, cars outside, bikes inside. No basements in FL as a general rule, hell, my house is about 4' above sea level, maybe. Three foot down in the backyard and I hit the water table.

Plus 1 on a disguised container. Much harder to break into than a shed and it's close to finished when they drop it off. Level it and it's instant storage for your machines 'til you get it wired etc.

At 8 feet wide and 30 or 40' long, all machines on one side leaves good access and materials can be slung overhead, out of the way but handy.

I bought a 40' semi van in '74, used it that way in different locations for years, everything already loaded for moves. Bought this place in '87 and turned the semi into shelved storage. Still gitten' my moneys worth ($750) out of it, amortized down to just over $20 a year, so far..

One disguise was a light trellis over, with fast growing vines. Great shade for it in the summer too. Had a new neighbor say, "love your flowering trellis".

My brother-in-law had couple containers dropped a few years ago, separated by 20' and we ran those light, manufactured wooden I beams meant as floor joists, across both, some plywood and roll roofing. Got shelter, shade and with a wall in back, and front closed with full width doors, a 20' X 40' dirt floor welding/fab shop between them.

Bob

we bought a "sea can" for storage in one of the parks.use it to store mowers and trimmers-a few tools also.
i reworked the door area for a lockbox to make it more secure and a ramp that folds up inside.
also enlarged the vents for more air movement.
i have heard mention of using two with a roof between them.great idea if you have the space.
lots of towns/cities have bylaws regarding the use of storage containers on private property.
I think we spent 4,500 to buy one in good condition.

Input from someone in a similar boat...

My 2 1/2 car garage has never had a car in it from the day I bought it. Decades of woodworking tools pretty much filled it up. I've shuffled and reorganized and have managed to cram my woodshop, ceramics shop (wife's) and metal/welding into the space, but there's barely room to function. Each job requires moving my RoadKing out into the drive and usually shuffling around tools. Mobile bases, one by one, for the smaller stand tools are helping, but I'm out of space with a mill just added.

I've been pricing steel buildings, more than a shed, and have come to the conclusion in the 2 years I've been trying that I can't afford one and a slab.

My neighbor runs a trucking company for a living and is currently shopping for a pair of containers with heavy duty floors for us (one for his stone business). The plan is to use one for storage of all my bike parts, stock, etc. and seldom used woodworking tools, freeing up the garage space.

I decided NOT to try to build or set up a detached area for working in, but rather for storing all the extras, leaving the 2 1/2 car garage for the 'working' shop.

Just a thought, and makes it TONS easier to find a suitable substrate if all you're doing is storing or housing smaller less used equipment.

If we can't come up with some containers within the next 6 months, I have my eye on a 20x20 shed/pole barn hybrid type thing and will build a deck with a couple layers of plywood for a floor.

Oh, and the innovation here is that we sketched out some plans for a facade for the containers so they look like the front of barn style sheds :) to keep the neighbors from whining.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. But given the size of my yard. This will be the best idea for me. The wiring, leveling, concrete and wood floor, ect. will just add up and take away money for tooling. So I'll just stick with my original plan for a 10x10 normal shed to store some stuff out back. The attic for the rest. And just make it easy to roll the cars and bike out into the drive way while I do my machining.

Thanks for the tips!

One addition, and mods forgive me for endorsing a HF tool - pick up a magnetic sweeper from HF. I got like a 24-30" wide one for $20 on sale. I run it over the driveway for 5 minutes when I'm done so I don't pick up wire wheel bits, cutoffs, etc. in the tires or my feet.

2x8 ,2x10 or 2x12's on 12" centers depending on the width of the shed and the weight of the machines.If the shed is 12'-0" wide then use 2x12 treated lumber for the joists.2x10's for 10'-0" span and 2x8's for 8'-0" span.3/4" sheathing on top of joists glued and nailed.5/8 or 3/4" plywood ( not sheathing) laid perpendicular to the sheathing.Glue and nail.
I am not familiar with Florida building codes,not sure if you need permits for a shed.
This floor will suffice for any home shop machines. If in doubt consult an architect or engineer.
mike

Back