Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bill D is offline Titanium

Never saw it done but my father had his meter switched out hot. The put a sealed plexigass box around the meter, outside the unions. like a glove box used in medical research. They put a new meter and tools inside then seal the door. Fill it with propane or CNG to regulated pressure then remove the old meter and hook up new one. Purge box with airthen remove.
    BillD.
    PS only enough gas for pilots, all apliances get turned to pilot only

JunkyardJ is offline Titanium

Arrow I was just suprised it wasn't locked.

Not that I care if you discuss removing the lock on your gas valve, but I am EXTREMELY suprised this thread wasn't locked because of potential legal ramifications. It's one of those things you just don't expect to be left to go on, but hey, it's not my decision. I could care less about you removing the stupid gas valve lock, it's not like I wouldn't do the same if the consequences were minor enough. Then a thread about ads that screw up the site does get locked, I just didn't get that. Anyways, I hope your gas is back on.

On a side note, they replaced the gas meter/regulator on my house HOT one time when I lived in town. Our meter had a very slight leak. It was a simple procedure, they closed the valve, unhooked the low pressure side of the supply line and layed the meter on the ground with the flexible inlet hose still attached. Then the new meter was installed with a new valve, and it was all ready except for the inlet. They simply unhooked the junction, let the gas on the HIGH PRESSURE side VENT (I was told it's 40 PSI), and hooked up the new meter. It was LOUD, and the flexible high pressure hose that sticks up out of the ground didn't look like it was very easy to handle while they hooked it back up. What was BS is they wanted to charge me $$ to re-light the pilots after THEY chose to interrupt service to change the meter! I told them EXACTLY where to stick that. When they opened the valve, they just cranked it open, no special procedure.

I dunno what kind of meter requires a special procedure, but appearantly new ones don't. This special procedure sounds like.

Spud is offline Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by JunkyardJ View Post
    Then a thread about ads that screw up the site does get locked, I just didn't get that. Anyways, I hope your gas is back on.
    I think it might have been locked because it was due to the guy not having the required plug in and not because of some innate problem with PM. I remember in the past there were PM website problems affecting most if not all PM users due to some technical problem with PM and this case Milacron discussed the issue and didn't lock the thread.

PaulJr. is offline Aluminum

They did that to me once in Long Beach CA....I just disconnted the piping and made one to replace the section with the lock, got the pipe/coupling parts from Dooleys in No LB, well that monday the gas guy shows up with key to unlock and seeing the valve with the lock laying on the ground gets back in his truck and drives away, I finally tossed the pipe/valve/lock away as it had laid on the ground about a month, got tired of dodging it with the lawn mower. Never heard from the gas co , that was in '83.who knows

DJFAB is offline Aluminum

As with all utilities, the meter is the property of the utility company. You tamper with it at your own risk. Is it really worth the cost/headache/legal issues if the gas company gets upset with you for tampering with THEIR private property? That's a call you will have to make, but put your anger aside for a moment and really consider that fact. None of us here will suffer or benifit from our advice to you on how to get around their lock-only you will.

I think the fact that you don't know how to get around the lock and are uncertain as to how it works should give you your answer as to your course of action. Gas is nothing to fool around with if you dont know about it-it has the potential to leave large, smoking holes in the ground-no joke.

Rudd is offline Stainless

Default LET IT DIE, it's over.

OK, I'm to the point where *I* would like this thread to die. Gas company got their dead butts out there in only 4 days. It's over, let it die.

When the gas co. here gets p.o.'d at someone, they just take the meter.

DJ, it really really helps to read a thread before replying. Note that I posted the corrected patent number, which has a drawing, and my proposed tool to use to operate the mechanisim.

(It is a really clever little piece of work, worth looking at just for the inginuity and thought that went into it, also to see from the patent application language I never want to write something like that. )

I'm very very grateful to you to point out to me the dangers of flammable gas. I never considered the stuff will actually burn... imagine, just turning a valve that HAD a lock it it, would cause a big smoking hole in the ground. Now that it's unlocked, it's evidently quite OK for me to operate that same valve, otherwise it would be locked open.
    I'm also grateful to you for pointing out the same thing 20 odd other people have already pointed out, the gas company might get pissed if I screwed with their lock. Would have NEVER even considered that.. when I asked about how to operate the mechanism so it could be replaced intact.

loggerhogger is offline Stainless

SHEESH! tAKE A PILL!

MarshSt is offline Aluminum

Default How it works/stirring the pot

The gas guy gave the tool tool me years ago when we were relighting heaters in empty warehouses after the owners turned off the gas to save money. They forgot that the heaters were there to keep the sprink lines from freezing. An expensive mess for them.... They record the reading when the meter is locked off so you're not going to get away with anything anyway.
    Anyway for those who are interested in how the slick little lock and key works (no illegal intentions encouraged) here is a picture. Just a ball detent pin with an internal release. Just insert the key so it bottoms on the pin and keep pushing to engage the taper. Pull on the handle and it's open. I have made do with a Cleco also but it's a little more fiddling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gas-lock.jpg  

lildipper1972 is offline Plastic

Default here's what I found

Quote Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
    Does anyone know how these things work? Gas Co. is telling me it will be Monday before they can turn on my gas. I'd whack the thing with a saws-all but they tell me they can charge me an unspecified amount for doing so.
    Cylindical do-dad in a padlock type hole on valve, top totates freely, bottom has a small hole up into the body, too small for me to see up.

Would like to remove the thing, and put it back in before they get here.

appears to be some sort of spring loaded plunder "around" the inside of the hole, can push it up with a small allen, but no dice on removing.
    e.j. brooks co. patent 3002668, images do not come up when I search the patent.

thanks in advance

Rudd
    A tamper indicating cover for use on a nut securing a gas supply line pipe to a gas meter is disclosed. The cover is adapted to fit around the nut so that the nut cannot be accessed (for removal) and once it has been placed around the nut and snapped shut cannot be removed without being broken. In one embodiment of the invention the cover is made up of a pair of plastic "C" shaped mating cavity sections sized to fit around the top, sides and bottom of the nut, a hinge section which pivotally connects the lower end of each cavity section together and which is integrally formed with the two cavity sections and a metal clip which is adapted to be snap-locked into an internal slot formed in the upper end of one cavity section and then caused to snap-lock into a corresponding internal slot formed in the upper end of the other cavity section when the two upper ends are brought into engagement with each other. The edges of the lower end of each cavity section are bevelled at a 45 angle so that the two lower ends cannot be easily glued together if the hinge section is broken. A lateral groove is formed inside the upper end of one of the cavity sections defining a hidden line of weakness which breaks if the hinge section is broken and the cavity sections pivoted about their upper ends after the upper ends have been joined to each other by the metal clip. The outer surface of the hinge section is shaped so that it cannot be easily clipped or cut off. The metal clip includes a pair of spring biased locking elements which are directed inward when the clip is locked into the upper ends of the two cavity sections so that the clip cannot be subsequently disengaged from the upper ends by inwardly directed pressure. In another embodiment of the invention the cover is made up of a pair of plastic, "C" shaped, mating cavity sections, a first metal clip for snap-locking the two upper ends of the two cavity sections together and a second metal clip for snap-locking the two lower ends of the two cavity sections together.

lildipper1972 is offline Plastic

Default it's really simple if you just look at it for a while. But it is ILLEGAL

A tamper indicating cover for use on a nut securing a gas supply line pipe to a gas meter is disclosed. The cover is adapted to fit around the nut so that the nut cannot be accessed (for removal) and once it has been placed around the nut and snapped shut cannot be removed without being broken. In one embodiment of the invention the cover is made up of a pair of plastic "C" shaped mating cavity sections sized to fit around the top, sides and bottom of the nut, a hinge section which pivotally connects the lower end of each cavity section together and which is integrally formed with the two cavity sections and a metal clip which is adapted to be snap-locked into an internal slot formed in the upper end of one cavity section and then caused to snap-lock into a corresponding internal slot formed in the upper end of the other cavity section when the two upper ends are brought into engagement with each other. The edges of the lower end of each cavity section are bevelled at a 45 angle so that the two lower ends cannot be easily glued together if the hinge section is broken. A lateral groove is formed inside the upper end of one of the cavity sections defining a hidden line of weakness which breaks if the hinge section is broken and the cavity sections pivoted about their upper ends after the upper ends have been joined to each other by the metal clip. The outer surface of the hinge section is shaped so that it cannot be easily clipped or cut off. The metal clip includes a pair of spring biased locking elements which are directed inward when the clip is locked into the upper ends of the two cavity sections so that the clip cannot be subsequently disengaged from the upper ends by inwardly directed pressure. In another embodiment of the invention the cover is made up of a pair of plastic, "C" shaped, mating cavity sections, a first metal clip for snap-locking the two upper ends of the two cavity sections together and a second metal clip for snap-locking the two lower ends of the two cavity sections together.

USMCPOP is offline Titanium

Brooks has a few variations of the barrel lock: http://www.brooksutility.com/catalog...ary.asp?Cat=36

METER KEY MAN is offline Plastic

Default Meter key lock opener

BARREL LOCK KEY- METER I Have 4 meter key locks opener it will open the regular Highfield Lock's & EJ Brooks & Some Inner-Tite.CALL IF YOU REALY NEED ONE. CALL US AT 951-505-0455 OR 951-351-2020. This Tool IS A VERY SPECIAL TOOL IT WILL OPEND MANY LOCKS. CONDITION NEW.
    SOLD AT IS NO RETURNS. PRICE $595.00 EACH.
    PAYMENT Cashier's Check or Money Orders
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails high-field.jpg  

bjorn toulouse is offline Stainless

Wow, not only is your speelage weak, you aren't very good at noticing the date of the thread you responded to.

Great first post Meter Key Man!

Rex

DieselPower is offline Cast Iron

I like is price though! Geeze, I maybe I'll send him a money order!

metlmunchr is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by DieselPower View Post
    I like is price though! Geeze, I maybe I'll send him a money order!
    Better send him the money by Western Union. They're gonna go fast and you don't want him to be sold out before he gets your money

Now taking bets on how long it takes before Don dropkicks this toad and his tool off into the abyss

fkancir is offline Plastic

If the lock center piece has a hole in it.
    you will need a small rod magnet to slide down in the hole
    to release the 2 metal balls that lock it.
    slide magnet in the hole as far as it will go ,
    grab the round free turning end and pull out
    frank

bosleyjr is offline Diamond

I know that this is dated, but if you are competent to get your pilots lit, then saw the damned thing off, and call the Gas company.
    "Gee, thanks for getting me back on line. Hot water is nice!"
    "Uh, we didn't do anything"
    "Sure you did! The lock's off and the gas is on! I checked, and all pilots are lit! You guys are THOROUGH! THANKS! Bye!"

9100 is offline Diamond

Two personal experiences- In the mid 1960s a tenant moved out of a house owned by my boss and the gas co. locked the valve. Same kind of situation, this was on Friday and they would not come until Monday. The problem was that the weather guessers were predicting temperatures far below freezing, which would mean cracked pipes unless we managed to get them all drained. I sawed the lock off and turned the gas back on. There was no reaction from the gas co. Of course, that was a long time ago and policies may be different now.

Second story- I have two gas lines coming into the building, so I converted one to a "high pressure" line, which is still only about 2 PSI, to run torches. I turned it off to do some plumbing and opened it slowly. That broke the regulator. The gas co replaced it as a regular repair and didn't gig me for it, but the repairman told me that I had opened way too fast. You really do have to barely crack it and let the line fill up. It isn't a plot to line plumber's pockets.

Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12