What's new
What's new

OT, getting ready for winter, time to replace a few windows in the house

I have one that has to go for sure, lots of rot in the frame. It is a big one, 100" wide and 60" high. It is one normal window on each side with a big window that does not open in the middle. I don't really have time to mess with it so I called this outfit that advertises all the time here. Renewal by Andersen. There quote even after all the "discounts" he was ready to give was over 10,000.00 About twice what I expected as a worst case. anybody had a big one changed out lately? what did it cost?

I have one that has to go for sure, lots of rot in the frame. It is a big one, 100" wide and 60" high. It is one normal window on each side with a big window that does not open in the middle. I don't really have time to mess with it so I called this outfit that advertises all the time here. Renewal by Andersen. There quote even after all the "discounts" he was ready to give was over 10,000.00 About twice what I expected as a worst case. anybody had a big one changed out lately? what did it cost?

Not "lately'. Twenty years now. Pulled the original side-by-side pair of double-hung winders, 72" wide, total. Cut sill out clear down to floor level, re-framed the opening with stock sized materials. Set a 72" "Pella" Atrium door, one side fixed, other side normal door hinged.

All stock parts, and about $700 at the time. Less than half a day's labour, go-fetch, lockset and trim included, frame & vinyl siding house. Brick or block, I'd need another full day and a rented diamond saw is all.

Stock parts, bit of jiggery on the opening and/or filler's at intervening mullions, either side or "chin" under if need be, - I say again STOCK PARTS - you should be able to have all-new for mebbe $3,000 and in a frame not likely to rot. Outside of mine is vinyl-clad, hasn't needed paint, either.

Setting windows ain't Rocket Science. Family has been DIY'ing that since 1763.

First settler West of the Allegheny's had no choice, y'see. Second family to move in were many miles away, weren't winders salesfolk anyhoo.

Had to wait for the need for whores, cattle rustlers, horse thieves, highwaymen, crooked politicians, feather-merchants, whisky drummers, and flatland inch-hoorance peddlars to be filled, first.

THEN came winders salesfolk and cold-call telemarketers for Diesel-powered a**-dildos.

The winders folk are the ones as come to the door, not call on the phone.

The arse-reaming is all part of their service. Kinda neat, as it dasn't leave yah smelling of diesel fuel. Just bleeding.

Yeah,. I know . ."DIY"...the very insult of hands meant to work the sacred METAL ever touching sawdust is embarrassing.

But if you know how to use glaziers putty, have a router and a power saw, this don't need anything store-bought but sheet glass. We can all be hoors for that sort of savings.

:)

That is a big window. Anderson are among the best. Pella is good too. If you were quoted a custom window to closely match your old one then that is a fair price. If that is the case You might bring the price down a bit by using a standard size just smaller in one or both dimensions and modify the opening to fit. You could also use three standard window sections and combine them when installing to ease lifting in place. Making things easier for a contractor (or yourself) saves dollars to.

Two years ago I installed an Anderson sliding glass door. I did the work myself. The "materials" cost to complete the window installation with new wood interior and exterior trim was about $2,500. About half the size as your window but with similar complexity. It took me three weekends. On a Friday evening I got everything ready and Saturday morning 6:00am started by removing the old window. The new window was in at 11:30 pm. The next two weekends I made and installed custom interior and exterior wood trims.

There was about 20 hours planning and ordering parts and about 60 hours doing the work. My only help was to lift the large glass sections in place. Installing windows is really a two man job. That should give you an idea on why you contractor's price seams high. It is a lot of work and they need need to eat too.

Because your old window has deteriorated you may also find the wall is too and will add to the cost.

I did about 25 windows in our 100-year-old place over a couple of summers. One room at a time, of course. They were all Andersen Woodwright? replacement windows, custom size. Clad outside, white oak inside.They went in well, and I'm happy with price vs. quality. Took out sashes and separators, but no removal of inside trim is necessary. Installed in completely brick house. I did them solo, and it is a difficult task. I got them through Anderson's General Store, who is now out of business. Pricing was pretty good back then.

Linworth Lumber on 161 might be a place to check out for the goods. Might hook you up with installers, too. You can special order thru Home Depot or Lowe's or whoever, too. Oh, and Keim Lumber up in the northeast of the state, Amish country. Great prices and great store, too. They would have installer contacts, too.

The nice thing is custom sizing doesn't matter for them -- it's all computer-controlled production, and they seemed to not care about standard sizes.

If you can move to separate elements that make up your total window, things get more manageable from an install standpoint. Andersen's website has chapter and verse on multi-element windows.

Chip

Not "lately'. Twenty years now. Pulled the original side-by-side pair of double-hung winders, 72" wide, total. Cut sill out clear down to floor level, re-framed the opening with stock sized materials. Set a 72" "Pella" Atrium door, one side fixed, other side normal door hinged.

All stock parts, and about $700 at the time. Less than half a day's labour, go-fetch, lockset and trim included, frame & vinyl siding house. Brick or block, I'd need another full day and a rented diamond saw is all.

Stock parts, bit of jiggery on the opening and/or filler's at intervening mullions, either side or "chin" under if need be, - I say again STOCK PARTS - you should be able to have all-new for mebbe $3,000 and in a frame not likely to rot. Outside of mine is vinyl-clad, hasn't needed paint, either.

First settler West of the Allegheny's had no choice, y'see. Second family to move in were many miles away, weren't winders salesfolk anyhoo.

Had to wait for the need for whores, cattle rustlers, horse thieves, highwaymen, crooked politicians, feather-merchants, whisky drummers, and flatland inch-hoorance peddlars to be filled, first.

THEN came winders salesfolk and cold-call telemarketers for Diesel-powered a**-dildos.

The arse-reaming is all part of their service. Kinda neat, as it dasn't leave yah smelling of diesel fuel. Just bleeding.

Yeah,. I know . ."DIY"...the very insult of hands meant to work the sacred METAL ever touching sawdust is embarrassing.

But if you know how to use glaziers putty, have a router and a power saw, this don't need anything store-bought but sheet glass. We can all be hoors for that sort of savings.

Might be the most unique piece of literature I've read in a long time.

I can do the job, I now have a 40 hour / week job as well as my shop and all its work. somewhere in there I need to eat, sleep and take a crap once in awhile. That's the only reason I was looking into having it done. As far as a sheet of glass and glaziers putty what are you smoking, This is Ohio, It gets a bit too cold here for that "solution".

I can do the job, I now have a 40 hour / week job as well as my shop and all its work. somewhere in there I need to eat, sleep and take a crap once in awhile. That's the only reason I was looking into having it done. As far as a sheet of glass and glaziers putty what are you smoking, This is Ohio, It gets a bit too cold here for that "solution".

*yawn*

We doubled, sometimes TRIPLE glazed that way back in the day. Ohio's Alps. AKA "WBGVA".

Yazzz it is nice to have the modern ones where the pane itself is doubled - inert gas & all..

BTW.. you want some seriously costly and VERY useful windows, have a look at what the Swiss and Austrians use, especially in an old Gasthaus to upgrade for fire escape regs.

Complex compound frame so the window can slide panes, swing the frame, or tilt, or open as a door, be laid flat for cleaning, or be removed. Good used car is cheaper..

OTOH, they tend to keep a building in service for several hundred years more than we do here.

I had a 107" X 52 1/2" window replaced recently with an Infinity (from Marvin) fiberglass one. It had a single 22"x52 1/2" casement at one side. The grand total was $3,225.00. Excellent prime quality window and very good work by the crew. Since my old window was smaller, we prepared a rough opening for them (otherwise, it would be $1000 more). The internal trim installation was also done by us using stained wood provided by the installer at no additional charge.

They replaced quite a few windows for me, so their "per window" charges are, probably, a bit smaller. But I don't think they cut off more than $200 or so on each. So I assume that without any discount and work done by us, the turnkey replacement would be below $5,000.

P.S. Here is their description taken form the estimate:

Bahama Brown Exterior
EverWood Pine Interior
2W1H - Rectangle Assembly
Assembly Rough Opening
109" X 52 1/2"
Unit: A1
Infinity Casement Picture
Basic Frame 86" X 52"
**Oversized Unit**
Rough Opening 87" X 52 1/2"
IG - 1 Lite
Low E2 w/Argon
Black Weather Strip
Unit: A2
Infinity Casement - Right Hand
Basic Frame 22" X 52"
Rough Opening 23" X 52 1/2"
IG - 1 Lite
Low E2 w/Argon
Black Weather Strip
Satin Taupe Folding Handle
Easy Wash Hinges
Interior Full Screen
Satin Taupe Surround
Charcoal Fiberglass Mesh
2 1/4" Jambs
Nailing Fin

INSTALLATION:
Owner to remove existing window and demo interior wall. Owner to frame new opening with a rough opening at: 107” x 52-1/2”. Soberg to install new window in new opening and cap the exterior with aluminum and caulk. Interior jamb extension and casing will be supplied and stained by Soberg, but final installation of trim is “by owner”.

PRE-STAIN:
Stain & seal all windows, casing & jamb extension Old Masters “Provincial”

I had a 107" X 52 1/2" window replaced recently with an Infinity by Marvin fiberglass one. It had a single 22"x52 1/2" casement at one side. The grand total was $3,225.00 (pre-stained windows, turnkey installation). Excellent prime quality window and very good work by the crew. Since my old window was smaller, we prepared a rough opening for them (otherwise, it would be $1000 more).

That's a LOT more realistic than 10 large!!!

I think the Renewal guys are 'factory list price + premium install price'. You'll want to find a way to get the goods at contractor/discounted pricing, then hire an installer as a separate service. There's lots to read up on when spec'ing Andersen, but it's all covered on their site. I liked the Marvin windows I looked at, too. Not a fan of Pella due to their within-window-cavity blinds eliminating the benefits of true thermopane/argon units. They may have changed that up since last I looked.

Chip

about 42 square feet. Really good glass is 50 -60 bucks per square foot. Like world class insulating glass

its really 3 windows, I would look on andersens website as 2 opening windows say 24x60 and the one fixed pane of ~52x60 and see what they charge.

Close off the opening, insulate it well, and hang a video camera on the outside and a big flat screen TV on the inside to see what the camera is viewing :D Big window is really like having a big hole in the wall, considering the massive wooden beams needed inside the wall, etc.

moonlight machine;3031131Renewal by Andersen. There quote even after all the "discounts" he was ready to give was over 10 said:
Something is wrong with that price. I had Renewal by Anderson do Dad's whole house, twenty double hung windows and a large picture window, and the total was only twice that. This was a brick house and the windows were sized to fit within the old cased openings, so no disruption of the interior finish.

Dennis

Not a fan of Pella due to their within-window-cavity blinds eliminating the benefits of true thermopane/argon units. They may have changed that up since last I looked.

Chip

Thats certainly not true now, if it ever was. The blinds are an option. For new residential windows, the energy efficiency regulations demand certain levels of performance depending on the area where the window is sold.

Pella was originally Rolscreen Company, still family owned today.

Consider mulling multiple double hung windows. 4 years ago I replaced two pair of relatively modern but rotten large Andersen windows with Pella double hung units that I mulled three wide. Three standard double hung were much cheaper than two custom units.

I can do the job, ..................

If you want to PM me your email address I can send you a couple of articles from Journal of Light Construction on some of those picky little installation details that make the difference between a decent job and a really good one.

Update: I went to the JLC web site to buy a newer version of the archive USB and it doesn't look like they sell it any more as all the issues are now online and you can search on "window installation" directly on their web site.

http://www.jlconline.com/magazine/

Steve

BTW.. you want some seriously costly and VERY useful windows, have a look at what the Swiss and Austrians use, especially in an old Gasthaus to upgrade for fire escape regs.

Complex compound frame so the window can slide panes, swing the frame, or tilt, or open as a door, be laid flat for cleaning, or be removed. Good used car is cheaper..

Guaranteed WTF if not "shit your pants" moment when you grab door handle in central europe and the heavy glass door starts to fall over you! :D

Something is wrong with that price. I had Renewal by Anderson do Dad's whole house, twenty double hung windows and a large picture window, and the total was only twice that. This was a brick house and the windows were sized to fit within the old cased openings, so no disruption of the interior finish.

Dennis
Around here 100x60" triple glazed window with frames cost about 600-700 USD so there surely is a lot of expenses counted for labor!
Sure you need more than one guy to handle the installation but 9 grand should include team of topless girls :D

Around here 100x60" triple glazed window with frames cost about 600-700 USD so there surely is a lot of expenses counted for labor!
Sure you need more than one guy to handle the installation but 9 grand should include team of topless girls :D
Not worth it. They'll do lead testing, and they will find lead, they always do, as they have an additional charge for "remediation". The topless girls will all have to wear hazmat "moon suits." Bummer.

Dennis

Back