What's new
What's new

warm shop, cold machines

Waumbek

Hot Rolled
Winter has reached Virginia. It was about two degrees F when I fired up the shop woodstove this morning and about 20 F inside the shop. As the temperature slowly rises above 50 I'm thinking it would be nice to do some work, but I dare not turn on the Van Norman nor the Emco lathe as the oilbaths look like molasses and the machines are extremely cold to the touch.

Any of you guys up north have a rule of thumb about this kind of situation and when you can work?

Cheers, Charles Morrill

Charles;

How I envy you. Past few nights up here it's been -37 C, can't recall what
the wind chill Was. But This is winter, and must be expected.
Any time the night temp falls below 10 C ( 50 F ), I fire up "baby Bear" and
bed it down for the night. Even with the extreme cold we've had lately, Shop
temp has never gone below 16 C.
Machine castings take a long time to warm up, so I find it best to keep them
warm to begin with. So from Oct to April my Fisher ( baby bear ) is constantly
burning through the night.

Jamie

I live near Toronto, the last week the temperature has been around -20C (-4F), one part of my shop is heated to around 5C (40F), the other part is unheated. Unfortunately the CNC milling machine is in the unheated part but I still have to use it. It is doing some funny things but I live with it. I wear winter boots, insulated coveralls and mechanics gloves. The real problems start when the outdoor temperature quickly rises to 5C (40F) and it starts raining.

I don't know if this will help or not. Put a plastic tarp over the machine and put a light in there to keep it warm. I would think 60 watt bulb should do fine. I don't know if they will sweat when take tarps off though. be careful of fires.

Rick

Cold Machines

I knew a fellow in Minneapolis who kept an electrically heated dipstick in his oil gage holder. Of course, you can't do that w/ mach tools so the best way to go would be to keep the heat on 60 F. when not in the shop. This will save your machines & you won't have to worry about expansion & contraction on your poor bearings & continuous change of viscosity in your oil

I keep my garage/shop at 50+ degrees all winter (gas heat). If I know I'm going to be out there working I'll turn it up to 65 and go hang out in the house for a while.

Rex

I fire up my Kerosine heater the night before I want to use the shop. Turn it down and let it slowly bring the heat up for 12 hours or more.

By morning time its a nice toasty 70 deg out there

A good shop fan blowing on your equip. will help warm it up faster and maybe a dehumidifier to keep condensation to a minimum.

I noticed that when my machinery is extreamly cold and I fire up my kerosene heater once the air begins to get warm and the iron is still prety cold the iron starts to sweat. I have one of those torpedo type heaters. I have to bring the temp up slowly to avoid the condensation problem. Luckily it doesnt get that cold too often nere in Md.

wm

Insulate and buy a second hand oil furnace, dont' matter if this is a part time getaway or a full time gig, you and your equipment deserve to be comfortable.

Big, big second on the insulation. My shop is heavily insulated and is only heated with a 1200 watt electric heater and some solar. This morning was 5 F outside and 57 F in the shop.

Steve.

I know what you guys mean.
Last night it dropped down to 50 degrees and this afternoom it is 80 degrees. I hope I do not get sunstroke on my bike ride.

Lost in LA

Getting ready to head out to the shop now. It was about 0 here last night in the mountains of Tn. My shop is small and is always heated with electic heat with about a 3500 watt ceiling mounted heater..

I do not know yet what the lowest temperature was in the shop last nite as I have yet to read the recorder but usually the temp never drops below about 60.

Equipment and tooling is just to expensive to let set in a unheated shop and rust and I hate trying to work with a field jacket on.

Funny you guys mention insulation! I'm about 2/3 done with insulating the building and tomorrow I'll try to move that rock ahead. Before insulating, I absolutely could not move the inside temperature more than 20 degrees above the outside. One reason was that I built in a continuous soffit vent so the building was basically open to the outside until I insulated the roof over Christmas.

A small electric heater might make a good deal of sense. The lightbulb idea sounds good as well. I usually dehumidify 24/7 but in the winter the exchanger clogs right up with ice. I surely have to do something. The machines weren't reasonably warm until about 2 p.m. though I'd started the fire at 8 this morning.

Many thanks for all the comments. Charles Morrill

I should add that all my stove firewood comes from scraps generated at work as I live in a small city and there's not much firewood about. The kiln-dried hardwood I use burns super hot but won't last the night. It's great that it's free though.

cheers, Charles Morrill

Big, big second on the insulation. My shop is heavily insulated and is only heated with a 1200 watt electric heater and some solar. This morning was 5 F outside and 57 F in the shop.

Steve.

See how that werks three days strait.

When the iron and concrete are all warm - it's easy to only lose a bit of heat overnight.

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back