What's new
What's new

Hmmmm.... straight truck with curtainsides....

S_W_Bausch

Diamond
There is one on the indy craigslist.
3k83p23le5O65U65P3b1g4d51e54fdc051510.jpg

I have noticed that Internationals are rarely mentioned as potential vehicles here on PM, but I think a used medium class truck can be a great alternative to those overrated ('hold their value') dually pickups.

Not mine, can't act on it, though the price is only $5200.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2163409303.html

Anybody considering this needs to know what the GVW plate says for this truck. If the weight is over 26,000 lbs, it will require at least a class B CDL to be able to drive it. Depending on the state there may be some gray area if the truck is used for personal pleasure. It may also be very difficult to convince a DOT officer that the old iron chained to the bed is a hobby and not a business venture.

I think a used medium class truck can be a great alternative to those overrated ('hold their value') dually pickups.
Not really... I have both and would waaaaaaaaay rather drive the dually pickup truck. As discussed on PM already, the medium duty trucks get abysmal mpg (compared to a diesel pickup..and compared to a semi hauling 40,000 lbs for that matter), and are LOUD as an AC/DC rock concert in the cab. Plus the tires and parts cost a fortune, and the cabover style seem a bit dangerous to me (just sheet metal up front, no air bag). Before the current Hino box truck I owned a Freightliner FL60 about the size of the International. Was a good truck for intended use but mine was underpowered...this one might be too since they don't bother to mention what exactly the engine is. Mine had a standard issue Cummins but the Cummins in my Dodge pickup has way more HP and torque than that huge Freightliner had !

Re curtain sides....I've always wanted one with the curtain just on one side. That way you could have E track on the other side and still secure tall machines (that aren't super heavy..like medium drill presses) to the wall....plus less to replace when the curtain wears out....but I've never ever seen a "curtain on one side only" curtain side truck for sale.

Having said all that, the truck you reference does seem like a great buy and I'd probably check it out myself if it was nearer to me.

While AC/DC is loud, I found Chicago to be the worst. Those horns went right through me! Trying to outdoo Terrible Ted? I ended up leaving I think?

Hope to see tham aggin. Hopefully outdoors next time.

Not sure what good an airbag is gunna doo for you with 10,000# comming through the back of the cab?

The diesel versions of those trucks don't doo too terribly bad like the gas versions that were discussed last week.
I/H seems to be about the most popular in that sized truck that I have seen.

I have a chumm with curtain sides on his 25,900.... (gas)

--------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The diesel versions of those trucks don't doo too terribly bad like the gas versions that were discussed last week.
I/H seems to be about the most popular in that sized truck that I have seen.

--------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Those IHs generally have DT466 diesels in them. The farmers around here love them because they have wet sleeves and you can rebuild them in the frame, so they resell used well. The pulling tractors posted this week spitting engines out had modified DT466s in them, they were put OE in tractors too.

Re curtain sides....I've always wanted one with the curtain just on one side. That way you could have E track on the other side and still secure tall machines (that aren't super heavy..like medium drill presses) to the wall....plus less to replace when the curtain wears out....but I've never ever seen a "curtain on one side only" curtain side truck for sale.
Can you get a curtainside body with a roll up door on the back? A heavy lift gate would make it even handier. I've seen some 1 ton box trucks here with a big roll up door on one side, and one on the back for body shop parts deliverys, I suppose you can order anything but I wonder about the strength left if all 3 sides were "doors".

My chumms soft side has basic "barn doors" on the back.

I'm guessing this truck isn't running quite as much boost?

"Got studs?" ;)

Actually, a customer of mine builds and is marketing a bottom end plate for the 5.7L Ford (I think) that werks off the same concept of a cross bolted FE or Hemi. Theirs hasn't died yet and they apparently run some crazy number through it! (pulling truck)

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

While AC/DC is loud, I found Chicago to be the worst. Those horns went right through me! Trying to outdoo Terrible Ted? I ended up leaving I think?

Hope to see tham aggin. Hopefully outdoors next time.
LOL... toss up between Styx, Kansas and Mahavishu Orchestra in my experience. I figured you were a Cowsills or Three Dog Night man ;)

It's amazing how different our American trucks are. Over here Curtain siders are KING to say the least. Back doors are normally just 2 doors but i have seen roll ups too. But its rare to open the back doors on a curtain sider any rate. Normally its only for dock deliveries even then it only works if stuffs at the back.

There is becoming a ever increasing number that have little forklifts ride on the back too. Not up to cnc loading but drill presses and normal palitized goods no problem.

Equally air suspension is std more or less too and has been around here for a while now. Its rare to find much else, even the dust carts over here are air sprung :-)

But its rare to open the back doors on a curtain sider any rate. Normally its only for dock deliveries even then it only works if stuffs at the back.

Why doo you say that? Is it b/c of the weight of the forktruck on a lighter duty truck possibly?

If that is the case - then you just add jacks to the back corners.

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back