What's new
What's new

Recomendayons on a bench grinder and wheels

dbosco002

Aluminum
*recommendations

I got my lathe all set up now but I need a bench grinder that would be good for grinding HSS tooling. I am not looking to spend a ton of money on a baldor or anything but if someone could recommend a grinder and wheel type/grit to grind cutting bits and drill bits that would be sweet.

looking around, it looks like I should be getting a grinder with a 1" SHAFT SO THAT i CAN FIND WHEELS.

I know almost everyone on this board has something like this.

I've owned a dozen grinders from a 10" Baldor to cheap. I'd look for an older US-made grinder, even an old Craftsman. If it's used, turn it on to be sure it reaches speed quickly, turn it off, and let it roll. Should go a long long time, with no bearing noise. Taiwanese models also aren't bad (e.g. older Jet). My sampling (just one and never again) of an 8" Chinese-made one (Wilton, if I recall) was here and gone within two weeks.

You don't need large wheels or a lot of power to grind HSS tools. A 6" unit with 1/3 real HP would be fine, a 7" unit just right IMO. You also don't need a 1" arbor -- something smaller can be bushed out to fit most any wheel that is appropriate.

A soft aluminum oxide white wheel (softer than the gray) is what you want to avoid burning HSS. I use a 60 grit wheel, but then touch them up on a Leonard lapping machine. You might put something like a 60 grit on one side and a 100 grit on the other. Lots of woodworking supply places have white wheels in 6" to 8" sizes, for use in lathe tools, chisels, etc. The larger supply houses will also them. And, once you know your way around wheel specs, a surface grinder wheel may do (softer grades, open grit). However, you'll like want to be up around 7" to find a wide enough wheel from the surface grinder realm and also be sure your wheel flanges are plenty large enough.

Tool rests on a lot of grinders (even those with decent motors) are hard to adjust. Lee Valley and others make good replacements.

Another good combination might be a good quality 1-2" belt grinder, plus a lapping machine, even homebuilt.

+1 on the older US made grinders. Three phase a plus. I like enough horsepower to turn at least 8" wheels, with enough torque to not bog down when I'm creating a tool on the end of a bit. Those small grinders will do if you're using 3/8" bits or just sharpening something larger.

I know a company named Blue Ribbon Abrasives. If you Google the name, there is a web site and 800 numbers. I am sure he can give you some good advice too. He is my brother Tom King and is a one-man company and works out of his house. That's why he can sell good merchandise cheap, no overhead.

I spent the last 3 months looking for some decent used grinders....ended up finding an old craftsman with cast iron wheel housings. All the new ones, with the exception of some Baldor and the higher end grizzley (pricing in line with Baldor) seem to have shitty sheet metal wheel housings and tool rests, making them suitable only for a wire wheel. They're junk. I have 3 of them that I use with scotchbrite/flap wheels/wire wheels, but they're no good for grinding. I recently found a deal on a proper tool grinder, so I never use the bench grinder any more. I changed the bearings, made a replacement for the missing tool rest out of a piece of scrapbinium, painted the castings and because I was bored, made an swirl polished stainless center cover. It's for sale for $150 if you're interested.....with 2 new norton rocks.
fee8921a.jpg

bbad5da2.jpg

You won't find 1" shafts on anything small. My 1/2HP 7" bought new in '79 for $100 still runs quite and smooth and has 1/2" shafts.

hey guys, Thanks for all the good information. It looks like I will be on the hunt for decent US made grinder. I will keep my eyes on CL because it looks like shipping is going to be a killer on those old heavy grinders. I live near saginaw, MI and there is a wood working tooling store there, I should go check out what they have for grinding wheels and grinders.

oh yeah! i was at work going through reclamation which is where they sell the old used equipment.. they had a HUGE! grinder. it must have been 10-15HP, it was a beast. but way to big for me.. I have never seen such a big grinder. anyway just something I thought I would share.

You need to remove the words "too big for me" from your vocabulary. You'll never get anywhere on these forums thinking like that!!!!!:D

Back