What's new
What's new

OT- Hino idiot light mystery (photo)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Hino diesel cabover truck, 1996 or so vintage. Light upper left, like exclaimation point..what the heck does that mean ??

hinoidiotlight.jpg

If engine is cold it typically stays on for a minute or so..... and if I release the parking brake before it goes out, the warning buzzer sounds. So, it's sorta like air brake tank filling up...except this truck doesn't have air brakes. So what is it ? :confused:

Thats a brake system alert, note the drum and brake shoes (even though the shoes are outside the drum)

Could be anti-lock, brake fluid, hydroboost pressure or a number of other brake warnings.

They also have a self check feature when the ignition is turned on.

Self-diagnostics for the hydraulic brake system, which should go out after a short time, as you've indicated.

You might also get feed back through the brake pedal, as a vibrating cycle, when initially starting off. This is typical in older Mercedes cars too, where the ABS diagnostics start when rotation of the hubs and therefore signal from the reluctor wheels begin.

The light should also go on if the reservior level is low, whereas the BRAKE light is for the parking brake only.

note the drum and brake shoes (even though the shoes are outside the drum)
Funny, now that you mention it, that does make sense...except whoever conjured up that graphic and worse, whoever approved it... should be dope slapped.

Like others, I would say it is brake-related. My old BMW has three similar symbols all denoting brake tests, i.e. a circle with 'shoes' either side.

The symbol with 'dotted' shoes is the disc pad wear indicator. Next one with just a circle and pads is the fluid level and system pressure indicator (BMW uses hydraulic booster). The third symbol has 'P' in the centre and is for hand brake.

My fluid level/system pressure light stays on until I touch the brake pedal for the first time after start-up.

Hino Light

Hey,

I have a Hino truck also. Mine is a 1995 FD2218 (box truck).

On my truck, this light is the warning light for air brake pressure.
But I also have gauges for the front and rear air brakes.

Doesn't sound like your system though.

On mine, it's a bendix air brake system. The air reservoir tank has three chambers in one tank.
Forward for the front brake, rear for the rear brake and it looks like the center is a manifold/accumulator. There is a pressure sensor switch for this dummy light on the center chamber. The front and rear chambers are plumbed with lines to actual air gauges in the cab to read the pressure directly.

I've got the chassis shop manual for 1995 (models FD, FE and FF).

Which model do you have?

By the way, I LOVE my Hino. Runs like a swiss watch. I've done a lot traveling overseas over the years and although you don't see Hino's too much in the US they are VERY popular overseas and in a lot of third world countries. They are all over the place in Afghanistan and Iraq and are absolutely hammered. But they run and run. Pretty much all you see over there. Hino's and Mercedes Benz trucks.
I hear they are popular in Australia too and hold their value very well. Hino is Toyota's heavy truck division. Very old company.

Which model do you have?

By the way, I LOVE my Hino. Runs like a swiss watch. I've done a lot traveling overseas over the years and although you don't see Hino's too much in the US they are VERY popular overseas and in a lot of third world countries. They are all over the place in Afghanistan and Iraq and are absolutely hammered. But they run and run. Pretty much all you see over there. Hino's and Mercedes Benz trucks.
I hear they are popular in Australia too and hold their value very well. Hino is Toyota's heavy truck division. Very old company.
I forget the model..it's the smallest one. Yes, it is ironic that Izuzu is the standard cabover here and yet Hino is a way better truck. Mine has 365,000 miles on original engine and (auto) tranny and still runs great. Only irritant is top speed is 67 mph, otherwise love it except for the noise in the cab....but all those commercial trucks are noisey as hell.

Hino Light

Hmmm,

Well I'm not seeing a non-airbrake diagram in my FD,FE.FF manual. Your series must have something different. If there is anything I can get for you from the manual though, just let me know.

I had a old chevy COE 1.5 ton from the 50's before and it had a big hydro-boost brake system. Might be something along those lines. Where it's measuring the vacuum pressure or the boost side that's created by it. If it's going out after warm up might be sticking a little bit with the cold. Can you put it in the garage and warm it up and try it then?

Don't feel bad about your top speed. Mine is nt much better. I can squeeze 70 to 75 out of her going down hill with breeze behind me.

365k! I hear these go a lot farther than that. Mine also has an auto trans (allison). Runs great but it really needed an overdrive gear. Great city truck though.

Interesting story about mine (as related from the guy I bought it from). The story went that it was imported by Toyota and modified for their use. They used it to haul vehicles from the dock to where ever, while inclosed. They used it for years but not much and replaced it. It only had around 8k on it when I bought it. It's got around 12k on it now. the Cab is like the day it came out of the factory. The Hino mech's that I took it too once said they had never seen an old one in such nice shape. I really like it a lot.

It has a very cool hydraulic liftgate that is actually like a huge draw bridge that folds up and becomes the back of the truck box. It lowers horizontally then you swap the chains around so it lifts up and down. Very cool.

It was designed to lift a car up high enough to drive into the back of the box truck. It had a flip out extension to extend the length of the lift, but the guy I got if off of removed it, leaving the main draw bridge part. That part when lowered is still about 10' long and 8' wide. For moving pallatized things it's the cat's meow.

Let me know if there is anything you might need from the manual. I know it's not the right one for that system but you never know for other stuff.

If the above replies don't work, check the air pressure in your tires.

I don't know about the Hino but I have had several vehicles where a similar icon meant you had low air pressure in one of your tires.

It has a very cool hydraulic liftgate that is actually like a huge draw bridge that folds up and becomes the back of the truck box. It lowers horizontally then you swap the chains around so it lifts up and down. Very cool.
Mine also has liftgate that doubles as rear door... by AHT, made in Austria... the liftgate is worth more than the truck ! Cost around $10,000 in 1996.

AHT Liftgates

If the above replies don't work, check the air pressure in your tires.

I don't know about the Hino but I have had several vehicles where a similar icon meant you had low air pressure in one of your tires.
In 1996 ??? Plus that makes no sense given the description of how and when it comes on and goes off.

Hino Light

The light with a circle, exclamation point and brake shoes is the main brake warning light (air pressure on those so equipped).

The only other note of interest I see in the manual is that the warning buzzer will sound when either the brake warning (exclamation point with brake shoes) indicator or the "brake fluid" warning light illuminates. It states the buzzer will not sound IF the parking brake is engaged. Once the parking brake is disengaged, if there is a problem, the buzzer will sound.

On mine the indicator that says "brake" is the parking brake warning lamp.

So when the parking brake is engaged it cuts out just the warning buzzer for a main brake system problem.

Hope this helps.

PS- Nice lift gate on your truck. Looks light and compact. I like it. That's a bit different than mine. It was built by a company in California (name escapes me). It has two hydraulic motors (bottom) that drive parallel jack screws that run up both rear corners of the box, from bottom to top, enclosed in "C" rails, totally greased and covered. It has sets of hard points on the back that are fixed and a set that rides up and down the jack screws that provide the lifting points for the gate. It's a very simple yet effective system. I agree with you too on the lift-gate cost. It would cost a fortune for the setup today. Good luck with your baby. ;-)

it is most likely a vacum sensor.
the brake warning indicator would come on if the vacum isnt sufficient for braking.It has a vacum pump on the back of the alternator,to supply the brakes.a minute isnt bad,but if you can deplete it with less than 6 brake applications i would be concerned.
i drove a 1986 LB for over one year,put on 100,000 + kilometers most of them at 113 KPH
as that was as fast as it would go.this one was equipped with a water tank,1500 gallons.
was a nasty job when it was -30 outside.
it had near 500,000 on it when i moved on to another job.

As an American, I often wonder who dreamed up the actual symbols used for these "universal" symbols.

More often than not, I am at a loss as to what they indicate.

I looked at the symbols on that link IcemanMotorsports provided about the symbols, and all I could think is WTF.

I could understand 1, 2, 3, 8, 14, 19, 23, 25, 26, 33, 34, 35, and 36. The rest are undecipherable....

Some locomotives have computer screen dashboard displays for information. When I turn on the headlights, I get number 13 on his list showing up (the headlight looking thing with a slash line thru the light beam. WTF does that mean?). We don't have "foglamps".

When you blow the horn, a picture of a bugle shows up. When you sand the rails, a picture of what looks like sand falling in an hourglass shows up. The only thing that makes sense on it is a picture of a bell when you ring it.

Back