What's new
What's new

OT hospital again!

I can't believe it! I never get hurt......except for last night. I had a 4.5" cut off wheel on my milwaukee grinder, cutting a piece of .090 stainless, switch locked on. it grabbed and pulled out of my hand and quick as that it grabbed my shirt, wound it up and stalled it, but not before cutting the hell out of my belly. I hit something major because every time my heart beat I had a squirt of blood shooting out about 8" What a mess, blood everywhere, direct pressure did nothing so off to the ER to get sewed up. It can happen in an instant, be careful.

You don't fix your own pneumonia by opening yourself up and taking a look! That is about like my experiences of "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get".

Sorry to hear of your injury, and wishing you a fast recovery.

Hello Moonlight machine
Many, many years ago (in an earlier life) I worked at a place where the exact same thing happened to a guy, only he got lucky. No hospital visit required, just made a slight cut on his belly. Made a heck of a mess of his T shirt though, & took the colour (usually had a healthy looking, reddish face) right out of his face (pale white). He was laughing & joking about it right after it happened, but you could tell that he was scared shitless.:eek:
As a precaution, I make it a habit of putting my leathers on (apron on top of jacket) whenever I use an angle grinder.:cool:
Stay safe.

Same thing happened to me a year or two back. I considered myself an expert with the angle grinder. The angle grinder kicked back down and low. Disc went through my overalls and through my jeans but ravelled up my overalls and stalled the motor just as it reached my underpants !

A real close shave. I was working on my own in a huge building with only the caretaker somewhere in the place.

Be careful with angle grinders !

Regards Tyrone.

Damn, that's a scary visual. Glad they were able to stitch you up and you're posting on PM instead of laying in a hospital bed with tubes up the yinyang.

Recover quickly and smoothly!

Yikes!!!

Angle grinders scare me... I use them with respect... several years back working overseas I cut my finger right on the knuckle, nearly cutting a tendon. I escaped serious injury by only a miracle.

Similar happened to my dad running a 9" Metabo in his shop. Cutting wheel bit, bound up, and exploded. He had removed the guard to get in a tight space and he ended up with minor cuts all over the place, but the hand holding the body of the grinder took the brunt of it and he had to get some stitches.

Well at least it didn't get your dick!
David

"Dick" you can survive the loss or impairment of. Not that I'm volunteering, nor even recommending, but WTH - roughly half the humans on-planet never had one to begin with. Most of 'em seem the better for it.

Femoral artery is the show-stopper. Look it up. Get cautious.

Reaction Force Commander, 506th Field Depot, I get a call. A 9 year old kid, petty thieving (they can't really carry-off very much) trying to help feed his family panicked when a guard spotted him. No shots fired. We weren't really that vicious. Just loud shouting.

Kid ran into razor wire at full gallop. Opened femoral artery took him fish-belly-white bled-out dead in less than a full wall clock minute.

Good idea to be bellied-up tight to the edge of a workbench top when using tools of that sort.

Was the guard on? I saw a worker killed when a cutoff wheel exploded and a piece of it went into his heart. I disposed of all my tools that I had removed the guards and didn't have them anymore. Glad you are ok.

Dammit John! If there's something you need, or something I can do, call me. I'll drive down in a minute.

Thanks Ray, I'm OK. Just 18 stitches. The worst part of the whole deal was having 3 different people poking both arms full of holes trying to find a vein to draw some blood. I reminded them that there is plenty to be had on my belly but they wanted some fresh stuff. Got a tetanus shot as well.

Back