What's new
What's new

Looking for 1" dia 4FL or more 90 deg chamfer mill

aokun

Plastic
I have a job that has a fairly large chamfer (0.4") in PVC. The length to be chamfered is about 17" and currently I take multiple passes with a 3/8" chamfer mill which matches up pretty well but it does take extra time.

I looked around and the biggest 4FL chamfer mill I can find is 3/4". I need something larger, 1" would be perfect. I do have two different inserted chamfer mills but those only have 1 or 2 effective flutes and don't cut nearly as well as a sharp carbide tool.

Does anyone have a source for such a tool?

Thank you
Alex Okun

This one should take it in one pass.
Single Angle Chamfer Milling Cutter 1.5 dia X 45 degree MariTool

It's HSS not carbide, but I've used them in UHMW and they work pretty well.

Thanks, too bad they are not carbide. There seems to be a 3/4" dia limit for solid carbide camfer mills for some reason. I might have to try one of those. The amount machined by this tool is a lot less than what the main endmill goes through, maybe it will be an improvement.

UHMW is nice, we made some parts out of it, like cutting butter as long as you have a sharp tool. We had a slightly used endmill that was running aluminum and in UHMW it was leaving all kinds of burrs, put the same brand new endmill and no burrs whatsoever. We use OSG Blizzard aluminum em for those.

Looks like the largest cut width is 0.375" and I need 0.4". Are you associated with this company? Do you know if they can make a bigger tool? If you are not associated I'll give them a call to see if they can do it.
Thanks!

Why don't you try a 1/2" shank woodworking router bit. Pvc is no harder than a lot of hardwoods and I have had better results with router bits in a mill on Polyethylene than milling cutters. A carbide router bit may even be cheaper than a big chamfering end mill.

Guys, thanks for the info. Turns out AB Tool has BVL90-1.5 cutter with 0.5" cut width. Their website was listing it incorrectly as 0.375". It's 6FL solid carbide, exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks again!
Alex

Back