What's new
What's new

Just bought an old kysor Johnson bandsaw...the switchgear is a hoot!

S_W_Bausch

Diamond
Photo to come....after the thread is created.

You owners know what I am speaking of, it's a two-button Start-Stop control station that is pushed "off" by a carriage bolt threaded through a hole in a cast handle.

I am not faulting it, it's just so.....simple and off-the-shelf.

I can't help but chuckle whenever I think of its simplicity.

I had to search ebay for other machines to confirm that what I have is the stock setup. It is.

attachment.php

My father had a little power hacksaw,probably sears, that had a toggle switch to turn it on a and off. The frame holding the blade had a carriage bolt, to flip the switch off at the end of the cut. By the time I was old enough to watch he had bypassed the switch and put one in the cord. He did not want his fingers near the blade and he said it would often not turn off. had to be adjusted all the time. As well the motor had a toggle switch to turn it on/off/reverse.
Bil lD.

I never understood the engineering on the Johnson saws with the 'boxes' at each end surrounding the wheels. Do they call them 'wheel houses'...? ;)
I've forgotten just how they're built but it doesn't seem to be the most rigid design out there. I do remember we had them in the Voc-tech shops, and the blades were always DULL and they never got changed because it was a major PITA to do it......those pesky boxes again.....
Seems like a million of those saws were sold tho....

dk

You owners know what I am speaking of, it's a two-button Start-Stop control station that is pushed "off" by a carriage bolt threaded through a hole in a cast handle.

I am not faulting it, it's just so.....simple and off-the-shelf.

I can't help but chuckle whenever I think of its simplicity.

I had to search ebay for other machines to confirm that what I have is the stock setup. It is.

Yes it is dirt simple.....but... kinda bad when the blade jams, and it's
3/4 of the way thru (hovering maybe 1/2" above the stop button,
and you have to mash your finger in there to stop it.

But, I'll bet a little piece of round stock could be made as a "pusher"
to stick up above, and made to be an "emergency stop"

Yes it is dirt simple.....but... kinda bad when the blade jams, and it's
3/4 of the way thru (hovering maybe 1/2" above the stop button,
and you have to mash your finger in there to stop it.

But, I'll bet a little piece of round stock could be made as a "pusher"
to stick up above, and made to be an "emergency stop"

I haven't studied the wiring on this specific unit, but a magnetic starter is involved, so an E-Stop button can be installed in a safe location.

That's the elegance of three-wire controls; it's possible to have multiple Start buttons, it's possible to have multiple Stop buttons. The Start buttons are wired in parallel, the Stop buttons are wired in series.

Back