What's new
What's new

OT Hotspot mobile modem

surplusjohn

Diamond
I am about to move my office/ shop/ studio and want to go to a mobile internet connection. I am considering Verisons Hot Spot 4G modem. It would add about 40 bucks onto my cell plan for 6 Gigs of data. Now paying about 60 for Road Runner. I do allot of research surfing the web but dont do things like down load movies or play games. Quite happy with my Droid Razr Max and have yet to exceed 1 gig/ mo usage. Due to family situation, helping my parents, divorce, and visiting my kids, I want to make my self completely mobile. Does anyone have anything to say about the Hot Spot? thanks

Verizon Jetpack™ 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot 890L
Verizon Jetpack™ 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot 890L

Bring the web with you and connect up to 10 Wi–Fi devices on 4G LTE with this mobile

Depending on what you have for a data plan, it might be better to just pay for the hotspot feature on your phone. If you're on a tiered plan, I think it's even included.

I tried one on a trial basis last year, it sucked. Internet was slow, and not always available. To be fair, i am in a metal building, and 4G wasn't where my shop is yet(But the sales guy assured me it would be the end all for me). I returned it, and got landline internet.

I could see it being great for travel, but don't expect it to be what the're gonna tell you it is. They said they offered a two week trial for a fee, think it cost me like $15+ data usage for the trial. I would ask about a trial first.

I used a different model of Verizon 4G hotspot last year when I was travelling a fair amount. It was as fast as DSL or cable in the areas where I used it and it worked great for my purposes, while were similar to yours - email and basic web use without streaming. I have now changed jobs and moved and currently use an iphone 4S with the 3G wireless hotspot feature, which is slower since it is 3G but otherwise works well for checking email almost anywhere.

The key is how reliable the 4G service will be where you need to use the hotspot. Give it a try and if you have a strong enough signal and reasonable performance at your desired locations you will probably be happy with it.

I have a third party app on my Droid Razr to use it as a hot spot and it has some quirks but, once I get connected t is pretty good, as fast as 12MB. I have thought about a hot spot in lieu of cable at my shop but cable is noticeably faster, if a slow DSL connection was the only other option a hot spot is a viable choice. With a fast cable connection it is a nice back up and, on the road solution.

Steve

thanks all. The 4G signal is good at the primary location. I dont want to tether to my phone because I will loose the connection when a call comes in. However, I may just try tethering until I get settled since I will have to keep RR here for a while.

thanks all. The 4G signal is good at the primary location. I dont want to tether to my phone because I will loose the connection when a call comes in. However, I may just try tethering until I get settled since I will have to keep RR here for a while.

I can use the phone and surf the net at the same time, it is a wireless tether, the only down side is it really needs a power supply for more than a half hour or so of use.

Steve

I got one last month, but I am running in 3G because I live deep in the country and no 4G is available. No Cable or DSL available. It is faster than the local wireless internet service i was using. About 54mbps supposedly. I used 5 Gig last month with the wife on Facebook nightly, stepson using some games and streaming one movie from Netflix. The movie used 0.45 Gig.

John, 4G LTE doesn't use the CDMA network, so the data connection is still on when you're talking on the phone. They use different radios.

LTE is at 700Mhz, CDMA hopscotches around on a few other bands.

With the new "share everything" plan, you get hotspot on your phone included, no additional cost. I switched the wife and I over to the new plan, added a tablet, and pay $20 less for the same level of service, but now have unlimited talk minutes.

In the first month with the tablet, I used less than 500MB of the 4GB allocation I pay for. We had a 2+2 allocation before, so that's what I chose with the new plan.

I personally don't like the Mifi devices, I'd rather use the phone. I have the same phone, shouldn't be any problems, and the battery should last longer than the Mifi.

I also have a Motorola Razr Maxx on the Verizon network. I occssionally need to light up a wi-fi hotspot so I can use my work laptop. I refuse to give Verizon any more money than they currently take from me, so I downloaded "FoxFi" from the Google Play store. It works PERFECT, though only for about 15 minutes at a time. They want you to buy the full version for $6.97, and many of the reviews I've read say that the free version works better than the paid one.

I use my phone for calls and text messages while FoxFi is running, no problem.

I have used probably every net connection known at one time or another. If you use the phone as a hot spot a lot it is hard on the phone and reduces the phones life in the long run. My choice would be the separate hot spot. I have one for use in the truck when on the road.

I have the Verizon Jetpack™ 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot 890L. I bought it to use when visiting the parents. Our prime use is to go to sites like the bank and QVC. Not real bandwidth hogs.

It works well when there is a good signal. The latency is much better than the Verizon CDMA or Verizon 3g.

I like that I can find a place where there is a slightly better signal ( the window ) and use the PC or tablet 20 feet away.

The wifi signal is not real strong. It will cover a room or two but not a whole house.

Dan

I have used probably every net connection known at one time or another. If you use the phone as a hot spot a lot it is hard on the phone and reduces the phones life in the long run. My choice would be the separate hot spot. I have one for use in the truck when on the road.

He has a RAZR MAXX, like me. The battery will last 3 days typically, it's 3400mah, which is twice the capacity of just about every other phone out there. I guarantee his battery will last long enough to talk and make a hotspot, and then have plenty left. My comment was that the battery in his phone would last longer doing both tasks than the battery in the Mifi.

Back