What's new
What's new

OT: How many miles can a gas Silverado 1500 go before it's done??

Spud

Diamond
2006 2nd generation or 2007. Crew-cab Silverado 1500 . 2wd or 4wd . Gas engine.

How many miles is too many for the average Silverado of above years ; before it requires a major overhaul , including engine rebuild, transmission rebuild, bushings replaced etc...

Is 190,000 miles too much?

Suppose the engine and trans are replaced, what about the Frame??

That depends very much on where it called home for most of its life. I wouldn't think a half million miles would be a problem for an Arizona/New Mexico truck, but 200000 might be for a place where they salt the roads a ton.

I have 190,000 miles on 2000 Yukon xl only thing it needs is a new windshield, wouldn't be afraid to drive it anywhere.

Assuming you are looking at this truck in Brookfield, that truck only has a couple years left on it, which is probably why it is being sold. In another couple years the frame and undercarriage are going to start to look pretty rusty, and 190K is a lot of miles, expect minor drive line repairs soon. Of course it depends, if it was kept in a garage, not stored outside, and the miles are all freeway, that would be good. If it was used as a salt spreader well....

Assuming you are looking at this truck in Brookfield, that truck only has a couple years left on it, which is probably why it is being sold. In another couple years the frame and undercarriage are going to start to look pretty rusty, and 190K is a lot of miles, expect minor drive line repairs soon. Of course it depends, if it was kept in a garage, not stored outside, and the miles are all freeway, that would be good. If it was used as a salt spreader well....

Lookin to get a 2nd gen 2006 or 2007 but not limited to getting one in the region. The replies here have convinced me to look for said truck from a dry hot region of the US. Unless I happen to run into one in my area or the NorthWest that has been taken care of. My budget dictates that the truck will have 150,000 + miles.

If I can drive it without major issues for 4-5 years then I am ok.

It will likely last well beyond the point where you are embarrassed to be seen driving it. 250,000 is no problem. But with all mechanical things, the risk increases every mile that some small thing will break and stop the whole system.

I think the chances are good that the engine will still run acceptably well when some other thing makes you stop driving the truck. I would think in your environment cancer of either mechanical components or electrical connections would be the cause of death.

The transmission will fail before the engine. The older Vortec engines had trouble with intake manifold gaskets when they got a lot of miles on them, but it's not something that would make you get rid of the vehicle. Don't know about a 2006.

I used to deal with a shop that built water well pumps for farms based on the Chevrolet V-8. These engines ran pretty much continuously at full throttle, or nearly so. They told me that in their experience (thousands of engines) the engines were probably good for about 400,000 miles. They said that the weakest part was the hydraulic lifters.

I sold my old Tahoe with 373,000 miles, and I would not have hesitated to hop in and drive across the country in it.

Got a 2002 Silverado 1500 with 30,000 original miles on it--I bought it new, to launch boats.

The age thing seems to matter more than the mileage--I'm paying for repairs constantly, and it obviously isn't the mileage.

I don't think it's strictly a Silverado thing--vehicles want to be driven.

Lookin to get a 2nd gen 2006 or 2007 but not limited to getting one in the region. The replies here have convinced me to look for said truck from a dry hot region of the US. Unless I happen to run into one in my area or the NorthWest that has been taken care of. My budget dictates that the truck will have 150,000 + miles.

If I can drive it without major issues for 4-5 years then I am ok.

If you can stand going through a stealer-ship, I know Carmax will ship any car from any of their locations nationwide to your local dealership. I'm pretty sure they'll do it pre-purchase so you can inspect it, free of charge.

I have a 2006 1500 2wd extended cab. 206,000 on the clock. Admittedly I'm not the best about getting the oil changed every 3k miles exactly but it still runs great. A couple of minor interior issues with various dash lights and buttons not lighting up . Nothing major has been done to the engine/trans. On set three of front rotors and calipers (factory originals went over 150k miles go figure) back brakes are original. AC has had 2 minor repairs on the electrical side of the system. Current set of tires has about 35,000 miles left on them. When they need replacing, I may consider a new vehicle. I have a company truck and travel a lot with it so the miles on my truck have been poured on in roughly 9 months of every year.

it really depends if it was 190,000 miles of short trips, idling, and poor maintenance or long trips with perfect service. many times the interior falls apart before the truck becomes unreliable, and thats about any brand.

Got a 2002 Silverado 1500 with 30,000 original miles on it--I bought it new, to launch boats.

The age thing seems to matter more than the mileage--I'm paying for repairs constantly, and it obviously isn't the mileage.

I don't think it's strictly a Silverado thing--vehicles want to be driven.
i find trucks 13 years or older the luck runs out and repairs are more often needed

268,000 miles on a 2000 silverado. 3 ac compressors and a rebuild on the tranny (not Bruce). 86 miles a day four days a week. 5 hogs, two deer and a turkey. Two radiators and ac condensers,(thanks to the deer).
good to go
i_r_

The number one thing to look at on a used Chevy truck up north is all the steel brake lines. Every one, all the way 'round. Ticking time bomb.

Chip

wise words,,, I rusted a hole in a line under the bed along the frame of my 2000 F350. Lucky I was not loaded when it let go..... look at all the rubber brake hoses too.

Contact "The Right Stuff" in Westerville Ohio for stainless steel brake and fuel lines cnc bent exactly as original. Exact fit for most cars and trucks. If they don't list yours send them your originals, they can bend new ss lines for a perfect fit.

I have a 2005 Z71 that I bought when it was 6 mo old and has been in Wisconsin it's whole life. It only has 121,000 miles but has had numerous small electrical issues. The last year it really started rusting everywhere from the inside out. Still has the original brake and fuel lines. If I were to buy a used truck this age getting one from a dry climate far west would be a good investment. Just make sure that the truck you purchase from a dry climate wasn't originally from the Midwest.

Back