What's new
What's new

Adjustable tailstock live center for taper turning ?

topari

Aluminum
I'm trying to locate an item I saw in a Magazine sometime ago. I don't know what it's called, but it an adjustable live center which fits in a tailstock and used for taper turning. The idea being the tailstock remains centered and the live center is offset instead.

Thanks in advance.

Most people just adapt a cheap boring head. These are available with morse taper shanks, and you should be able to hard-turn the shank of a live centre to fit it. If the taper is other than very shallow, I personally prefer to use a female live centre, with a small bearing ball trapped between the work centre and the female centre.

adj tailstock center

Here is one I made. It fits over the tailstock barrel . Then I check that it is level then lock the setscrew .Set screw has a copper pad so it does not mark barrel.When
it is at center I turn the screw to offset as much as needed. I should have made a small ball at point. I'll do that next time I use it.
Jim

IMG_0002-1-2.jpg

Troup;
Quote "If the taper is other than very shallow, I personally prefer to use a female live centre, with a small bearing ball trapped between the work centre and the female centre."

GREAT idea!!! Takes the rub out of the centre.

Back