What's new
What's new

OT: How to resign employment

capital7

Cast Iron
Hello all,

I'm going to be quitting my job soon, as I don't make enough to support myself even after getting a small raise, have mentioned this to my employer and the response was along the lines of "Life is rough"... My savings account is completely drained so I can't afford to keep working here, even with overtime.

How should I go about this? I like my employer, and I like the job, I just can't stay.

Thanks in advance.

Generally I advise having the new job already lined up and doing the stand up thing and giving the old boss 2 weeks notice. With any good luck he'll say "see ya" now and ask to not come back and the new guy will say you can start 2 weeks early.

Agree with the above. Just a mention though, if you give your 2 weeks notice, actually follow through with it. Never know if you will need them for a reference in the future and a sure way to torch that bridge is to not follow through on what you promised to do. If they ask why you're leaving, be honest and tell them what the new job pays. You might luck out and have them match the offer.

Generally I advise having the new job already lined up and doing the stand up thing and giving the old boss 2 weeks notice. With any good luck he'll say "see ya" now and ask to not come back and the new guy will say you can start 2 weeks early.

I have 2 new jobs lined up already, and planned to give 2 weeks notice.

Thank you

Agree with the above. Just a mention though, if you give your 2 weeks notice, actually follow through with it. Never know if you will need them for a reference in the future and a sure way to torch that bridge is to not follow through on what you promised to do. If they ask why you're leaving, be honest and tell them what the new job pays. You might luck out and have them match the offer.

The place I'm working now is very low wage, I make the same starting wage as most of the uys who have been here for years and I am no better than them, so I doubt the wage would be matched, I've seen quite a few people walk out the door on friday and not come back monday on only a year...

I have 2 new jobs lined up already, and planned to give 2 weeks notice.

Thank you

Sounds like you are all set. In the HIGHLY unlikely event that they offer you a raise, don't take it, it doesn't sound like you are leaving a great job.

Put in a good 2 weeks of work, depart on good terms and move on.

Steve

And even if they match the number . . . as stated, walk away and keep your commitment to the new employer. Finish strong, the best thing you can do at this point is to make your present employer consider changing their ways by regretting your departure rather than having them pat themselves on the back thinking it was a good move not to pay you more.

And even if they match the number . . . as stated, walk away and keep your commitment to the new employer. Finish strong, the best thing you can do at this point is to make your present employer consider changing their ways by regretting your departure rather than having them pat themselves on the back thinking it was a good move not to pay you more.

Alright, that seems to be the consensus, I'm going to wait to hear back from the other employers, and as soon as I do, I'll give my 2 weeks notice, put in 2 weeks of hard work, and then make the jump.

Thanks everyone.

I have all sorts of wise-ass answers but I'll answer with the proper answer.

1) Give two weeks' notice.
2) Don't even consider any offers to increase your compensation if you stay.
3) Be a good employee right up til you leave the parking lot.
4) Approach your resignation with the 'Gosh, I really hate to leave but I just couldn't say no to this better offer. I've learned so much here and like everyone and wish the best to all' attitude.
5) Show no signs of contempt or retribution. No burning bridges of any sort.
6) Shake hands wit the biggest assholes you've worked with and part ways with no hard feelings.

The bottom line? Be classy. Don't forget - you are the one who is moving on, they are stuck right there still.

That said...I gotta warn you. The idea that you can't afford to stay where you are is fraught with peril. It's most likely a cover-up for the truth - you aren't living within your means in the first place. A new job that makes you 15% or 20% more money isn't going to solve anything.

BTW..never ever tell them what your new job pays. Not their business. Just tell them "I can't disclose that but I can tell you that at the rate I am achieving increases here it would have taken me many years to reach the level of my new compensation."

Never ever use the word 'pay'. Always use 'compensation' when talking to an employer.

On your post #10 - Right decision. Since you liked the job and liked the man you worked for, it would not be insincere to let him know that before you leave. You might find that having his good will will stand you in good stead one day down the road.

-Marty-

Last edited:
Any year end bonus or x-mas extra or anything like that you might want to wait until after you get that. Calculate what it's worth to you and then decide. Just be polite when you tell your boss you're leaving. Be honest if he asks you why. Be willing to stay 2 weeks but be prepared if he doesn't want you.

Any year end bonus or x-mas extra or anything like that you might want to wait until after you get that. Calculate what it's worth to you and then decide. Just be polite when you tell your boss you're leaving. Be honest if he asks you why. Be willing to stay 2 weeks but be prepared if he doesn't want you.

If the employer has any class at all and doesn't want you around for the last two weeks, he will cut you a check for those two weeks and help you out with your tools.

I secound the std of living thing. Now not saying you have to eat crap and live in a cardboard box, but its a really good idea to look at your finances from a clear perspective some times, asking what are the essentials? What are the nicer bits? and finally what are the luxuries????

You need to make sure you fully understand your taxation too, that 10% raise will be being taxed at the band its in, over here for some one in the sub £30K range that means even a 10% raise only makes you about 7% better off after tax and national insurance here. Annual inflation being at circa 2% or more and getting a 10% raise really only ends up making you 5% better off. If your not currently living with in your means is that 5% going to be enough to put you back in the black????

Lots of people seam to forget you don't have to waste your time earning it if you don't need to spend it.

If the employer has any class at all and doesn't want you around for the last two weeks, he will cut you a check for those two weeks and help you out with your tools.

I wonder how many would do this?
And if around for a while throw a pizza/barbecue party to honor the leaving employee and wish him the best of luck on his journey.
Every boss should understand the motivation of a bigger paycheck. They would jump ship for it too.
2 weeks notice is kind of the standard stand up way to quit a job. I've had people give me one day and others one month.
Some places, for reasons I do not get, will toss you out on the street as soon as you mention it.
Bob

No matter what someone is gonna get squeezed, our shop rate is $85 an hour and that seems like a lot but after paying off everyone with their hands out there is little left.

A big part of the problem is minimum wage, which drives up all wages and of course the cost of living so that soon another minimum is set.
Government should mind their own bailiwick as prescribed by the Constitution and leave business alone, the natural laws of the marketplace can be tough enough to bear. Supply and demand are the only laws needed as far as wages and prices go IMO.

Just slip out the back Jack.
You have a new plan Stan.
No need to be coy Roy.
Just set yourself free.
:D
Good luck

Oh, I donno... Best advice my Dad ever gave me was, "Never tell a man to go to hell when you leave a job. You may have to ask him for one again in the future."

Give your notice, work your notice is they want you to, and on the last day smile and shake his hand.

Dennis

Left loads of jobs in my time,Iv always been honest,I would always tell them the honest reason,even if they didn,t like it.Sometimes say if the place wouldnt invest in tooling or basic equipment.I would say be honest Iv had it messing about with unsuitable tools or setting jobs up wrongly because there isnt even ---.Done this at one job and the manager offered me a hugh rise(Too late) as long as I didnt reveal it to the others.I refused.So he said look if you ever want your job back give me a ring and I will have you straight back.A lot of the time I would say look I want to leave asap but I dont wish to drop you in the mire so I will stay untill you get a replacement but dont take advantage.Remember someday they might improve the place and you may want the choice of going back and it will probably be reflected in your refrence.Keep it civilised and keep your reasons to yourself once you have had your say to the people who need to know

Back