What's new
What's new

OT - Hyster Forklift Capacities

matt_isserstedt

Diamond
Just added this little gem to my arsenal of rolling stock. :D Price was very good, it was local, seller appears trustworthy.

It is a S70EBCS ("boxcar special" with the high-stacked counterweight for short wheelbase...even has vertical exhaust to save space so the inline 6 will fit inside there).

I'd take that to be a 7000# forklift if I think I understand Hyster's rating scheme.

However data plate indicates 5000 lbs at 24" load center....so wouldn't this just be a S50? Or am I missing something else?

This is more of a discussion point...I really don't plan to pick up anything near 7000# with it. Probably add a longer set of forks...it really has short ones on there*.

* which would be ideal if handling crates/skids/pallets inside a boxcar. I am not planning that type of work

hyster_01.jpg

hyster_02.jpg

hyster_03.jpg

[ 10-11-2006, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: matt_isserstedt ]

Matt
I will check on weight rating with one of my buddies, he works on Hysters for a living. BCS are fairly rare, but very nice.
Does this one have the Monotrol direction control? They take a little geting used to, but I feel they are better than the hand lever.
Marshall

Marshall, this has the Monotrol...a little different feel when I drove it for the first time, but I think I can get used to it.

It seems more oriented to the 8hr-per-day user but I'm fine with nearly anything...I just creep around and move machinery...no fast speeds or extended operating. Ideal accessory for me would be the fork width positioner...

I had looked with some interest at an S80EBCS but it was past my trailer's ability to carry the immense weight. The S80 is the "next step" up in Hyster's frame size lineup.

Matt-
When I was shopping around for a used forklift, I talked to a few used forklift dealers and each one had this to generalization to say about forklifts:

The 2K and 3K lifts are built on the same frame. The 4K and 5K lifts are built on the same frame. The 6k and 7K lifts are built on the same frame. The main differences are the counterweights which are heavier for the higher capacity for the same frame. While it's not guaranteed for safety and such, some folks add additional weight on the smaller capacity to bump it up to the higher capacity, given same frame.

8K and up doesn't really generalize too well but can be bumped up a little.

From the looks of you forklift, I say you have a 5K It's about the same width/length as my Allis Chalmers 4K but you have a much higher counterweight. Follows in line the generalization of same frame, just more counterweight.

But, on the other hand, read the data plate carefully because it might talk about the load center at a certain height. The higher you go with multiple stage masts, you loose weight capacity with each stage. Our fork is rated for 4k up to 132"? inches and then only 3K after that.

But it sure sounds like an S70 would be 7K.

Here is a newer version of the S70BCS.

Not sure of the differences other than a different "model year", the yellow version has the GM 4.3L V6, but the masts look to me to be nearly the same in "beef" factor.

Here is another BCS, advertised as a S80E which appears identical to the red one in controls, engine, and look, but nowhere is described as the BCS, which it surely is. The data plate appears much newer though...wonder what's up with that...

Maybe I should call Hyster

A local Hyster dealer should be able to get to the bottom of capacity, they probably will call Hyster. Make sure that you have SN, etc when you talk to them.

My buddy says that any factory sold attachment would also efect weight rating. In this area almost all BCS are set up with rotating paper clamps. The clamps are heavy!

Looks like you got yourself a nice machine!

If anyone was still interested I think I found the answer to the mystery after picking up the machine today.

The data plate indicates the original attachment is a CASCADE YYY-XZZ-UUU which I suspect is a very heavy paper roll manipulator, guessing 2000 lbs or so. This is long gone and Class 3 forks have been installed.

Sitting beside a true 8000 lb lift from another manufacturer, the cushion tire sizes are nearly identical...

Full time, probably not, but you never know...

Moving the shop stuff, the 2 Clarks I had were "on the edge" for some stuff, mostly lacking fork reach, or otherwise said, the counterweight to use longer forks.

We had an "ultimate home shop forklift" thread recently...the boxcar special is high on my list...essentially a big forklift in a small body, and this one came up locally at a price I couldn't believe. :D

So now having checked that "box" on the mental list of cool stuff, I can go pursue other esoterica, most of it heavy and ferrous

It did occur to me that someday I'd like to have a small VMC which from what I've seen longer forks and heavier capacities are needed...

Back