What's new
What's new

OT - Ivy growing on building walls

GregSY

Diamond
An ivy vine started growing on my shop wall, all on its own. I'm thinking of letting it grow rather than ripping it off.

1) Does anyone recognize this type of ivy? For all I know it could be poison ivy.

2) Is there any harm to the building in letting it grow?

3) Could I encourage it to grow by affixing some galvanized chicken wire to the wall so the ivy has something to latch on to?ivy 1.jpg
ivy 2.jpg

Check the archives, I asked this same question (about the Reed Tool building here in Erie)

Ivy can be pretty damaging- it will get between your wall and downspout for example and eventually push it off the wall. Don't let it get up to the soffit, as it will grow into the joints. Be prepared to keep it trimmed and under control. It tends to hold a lot of dirt and dust as well. I've seen it literally rip a wood fence apart and peel corrugated iron off the side of a building if left to do its thing.

Not poison ivy, beware leaves of three and berries white poison in sight. Same for Oak and Sumac.
Ivy and nearly any clinging vine will drive tendrils into grout, under siding, and latch onto painted surfaces.
Plant green beans instead!
John

Not poison ivy.

The old ditty is "leaves of three, let it be"

Poison ivy has three very shiny leaves (the shine is from the resin that causes rash). If you want to know what it looks like just google it.

I'm not a fan of mixing vegetation and buildings. The same process that allows these plants to cling erodes the mortar and sets the stage for further damage. If you want a decorative plant on your wall set up a trellis and buy a climbing plant from a nursery.

If the plant is something that "dies" every winter, you could end up with a flammability problem.

Your photograph looks like what I identified as Virginia Creeper that grew on my shop wall in South Carolina. It multiplied rapidly and grew very fast, forcing it's way into the openings around the doors and into the grills in the eves. If you want an Ivey covered building, I recommend that you spray the creeper with a vegetation killer and get some cuttings of English Ivey to give you the coverage. The Ivey will be much more manageable than the creeper.

Jim

Your photograph looks like what I identified as Virginia Creeper that grew on my shop wall in South Carolina. It multiplied rapidly and grew very fast, forcing it's way into the openings around the doors and into the grills in the eves.

..tearing off soffit, siding, etc, etc, and you'll need more than just ordinary weed-killer and have to chase it for years.

This shit is still taking its revenge for the way Grant took Richmond, or Sherman's march from Atlanta to the Sea...

After cutting the back acre at my shop, we found a 30 foot by 25 foot patch of that stuff growing up the back wall. It tore thru the water damaged cinder blocks and ripped the faces off them. The roof leak provided plenty of water for it and destroyed several blocks when we tore it off the wall. It was partially in the channels of the roof decking. Stop it now before its too late.

That's neither ivy nor poison ivy. Probabaly Va creeper as others have said, I'm too lazy to hit the books and key it.

It'll be a nuisance if it keeps growing. At this stage it looks small enough to just rip out by hand, weedkiller not needed. May have to do it a couple of times as root fragments will sprout again, but not a big deal.

Interesting English Ivy observation: When pulling it (and other ivys) off a wall, pull up from the bottom, instead of down from the top. Pulling down results in short segments; pulling up usually gets it all in one pull. Probably a survival mechanism.

Chip

OK thanks everyone. I'll rip it off. I was hoping to have an Ivy League sort of building but I sure don't have time to dick with it if it's gonna cause trouble.

Look at pictures of the Smithsonian Castle in Washington, DC. The walls are covered in poison ivy -- that sure would keep burglar from climbing the wall to break in a second floor window.

Back