What's new
What's new

OT: Just got tasked with writting Senior Machinist job description

i_r_machinist

Titanium
Manager came and asked if I had ever seen a description for job qualifications for senior maintenance machinist here at the plant. I told him no. He gave me the description for senior mechanic and asked me to use that format (ms office) to write a job description for a senior machinist, in case we needed to post a job.
My first bullet was "Guard the boundary of stupidity against all who would challenge it", but I figured that wouldn't go over too well, so I deleted it. Hell, when I got this job I wasn't what I'd call a "maintenance" machinist, I was a straight up cnc guy, but I learned.
I'm hoping some of you will donate something I can plagiarize and make myself seem more articulate than I actually am.
Thanks
have fun
i_r_machinist

You're old enough for the job, sounds like they picked the right man. :D
Kudos for management for going to the horses, uhm, mouth for the experience you have to offer. But don't you have anything better to do?
Ron

SENIOR MAINTENANCE MECHANIC III (MACHINIST)
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
: Under general supervision, an

incumbent of this foreman level position supervises a staff, including at least one

journeyman, in performing maintenance and repair. The incumbent
directs, plans,
supervises and performs machinist work involving maintenance and repair. The
incumbent performs and gives direct supervision to a wide variety of machinist work,
cutting and shaping machine parts, repairing broken machine parts, dismantling worn
equipment and installing new. The incumbent inspects facilities and recommends action.
The incumbent plans and lays out work,
estimates materials, costs and staffing
requirements. Work is performed with considerable independence in accordance with
departmental goals, procedures and trade standards. More complex jobs may require
detailed instructions, blueprints or sketches from an engineer or technician. The
incumbent is fully proficient in the skills and practices of the trade, with full knowledge of
the principles, tools, and techniques. The difference between this foreman level position
and that of the
journeyman, is that the foreman supervises at least one journeyman
machinist and may supervise a number of lower level full time, seasonal and temporary
personnel. Does related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
: (Illustrative Only)
Lays out, schedules and supervises machinist work coordinating job schedules with
supervisors of the various treatment plants to insure the least possible "down-time" on any
one piece of equipment which may need machine work;
Supervises and operates various machines, such as drill presses, lathes, milling
machines, etc.;
Supervises and repairs pumps and motors where machining is required;
Supervises and participates in the cutting and shaping of new parts to replace broken or
worn out parts;
Sketches replacement parts for use in machining of new parts
;
Insures that work areas are kept in a clean, orderly and safe condition
;
Requisitions materials and equipment
;
Assigns daily
work schedule and makes routine inspections of assigned work;
Complies information and assists in yearly budget formulation
;
Estimates material costs and staffing requirements
;
Trains, evaluates and instructs subordinates;
Performs routine and emergency repairs and maintenance, both scheduled and in
response to emergency situations, as required;
Depending on work location, may operate equipment and devices, participate in
snow removal, etc., as assigned.

SENIOR MAINTENANCE MECHANIC III (MACHINIST)
Page 2
REQUIRED, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND ATTRIBUTES
: Thorough
knowledge of the tools, techniques and terminology associated with the machinist trade;
thorough knowledge of the accident and safety precautions of the trade; ability to organize
a program and to effectively supervise others in carrying it out; ability to use a micrometer,
to read blueprints and to draw accurate working sketches of machine parts; ability to get
along well with others; good judgment; physical strength and agility; physical condition
commensurate with the demands of the position.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
: Either: (a) high school or
equivalency diploma and eight years of increasingly responsible machinist experience,
four of which must have been in a wide variety of machine repair, maintenance and
installation work without close supervision and two of which must have involved the lay
out of work; or (b) two years experience as a journeyman machinist subsequent to the
completion of a four year apprenticeship program under a journeyman.
NOTE
: Apprenticeship training gained by the completion of technical courses in the field
at a school or institute or branch of the Armed Services may be substituted for the above
training and experience on a year-for-year basis.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT
: Possession of a valid New York State
drivers license at time
of appointment.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT
: Depending on work assignment, must meet standards of
OSHA regulation 1910.134 Respiratory Protection, and will be required to meet Federal,
State and local standards with respect to health and safety

Manager came and asked if I had ever seen a description for job qualifications for senior maintenance machinist here at the plant. I told him no. He gave me the description for senior mechanic and asked me to use that format (ms office) to write a job description for a senior machinist, in case we needed to post a job.
My first bullet was "Guard the boundary of stupidity against all who would challenge it", but I figured that wouldn't go over too well, so I deleted it. Hell, when I got this job I wasn't what I'd call a "maintenance" machinist, I was a straight up cnc guy, but I learned.
I'm hoping some of you will donate something I can plagiarize and make myself seem more articulate than I actually am.
Thanks
have fun
i_r_machinist

I'd say, first off, ask yourself why they asked YOU for this description. Most likely, cause they consider you to know what YOU need to know to do your job, thus you likely know the job description. It's a bit of an off hand compliment. You may not have been a full blown maintenance machinist when you got there, but it sounds like they consider you at least know what one is, so go from there.
Working in the work area that you work in likely gives/requires specialized experience and knowledge not necessarily applicable elsewhere. Try to figure THAT out, and include it. Might look into any NEW requirements expected to come down the pike in the near future, try to work those in as well. Sounds basically like they are wanting you to describe YOUR job. In a nuc plant like you are in, that has to be a pretty specific bunch of skills, and you've likely gotten better at some things than others because you use them more. Lots of machinists are more comfortable DOING thing than talking/writing about them, so this is possibly out of your comfort zone. Stretch a bit, you have the knowledge locked up inside your head. You just need to figure out how to verbalize and write it out.
How long have you been up there anyway? Has to be quite awhile, you've been posting for several years now and it's all been since you were up there as far as I know. That's a lot of on the job experience, especially these days with machinists playing gypsy for a dollar.

Gorilla,
As far as them singleing me out to do the job description, they didn't have much choice as I am the only machinist left on site. Everyone else has retired. On my yearly review I got an "average" machinist rating because there was nobody to compare my skill set to.
customer
** Hey Ron, I GOT A FREAKING CUSTOMER!

Gorilla,
As far as them singleing me out to do the job description, they didn't have much choice as I am the only machinist left on site. Everyone else has retired. On my yearly review I got an "average" machinist rating because there was nobody to compare my skill set to.
customer
** Hey Ron, I GOT A FREAKING CUSTOMER!

Hmmm... I suppose that could have went the other way too "you are not meeting expectations (even tho we don't know what those are!), no raise"

" I got an "average" machinist rating because there was nobody to compare my skill set to". And you fell for that??? Time to push back my friend- that's manager speak for "I have no idea what good performance is, I have no idea what it takes to do your job, and I have no interest in rewarding you for your skill set or dedication to our operation". Make sure you do a really good job on the job description assignment. Next time, push back hard- you might just be surprised at the response! MANAGERS NEED TO FIGHT FOR THEIR PEOPLE Dan

Last Tuesday I had to get a couple of stents,so I show up to work Monday and just before noon new supervisor wants me to go to HR.Seems they got their pantys in a wad because of not having them a doctors release to come back to work.Not a big deal,I understand their pov.
They gave me o bunch of paperwork to take to my doctor and included was my job title and requirements.

I dawned on me that after 22 years this is the first time I have have ever seen an actual written job title and requirement document!
Pretty similar to what you have written.
Over the years we have had a few good machinists,a few good welders,a few good electricians and not to many good mechanics.However none covered all bases as the job document described.I also realized that the job as written is worth way more than most companys would ever pay and that there are very few tradesman that could meet those requirements.

The up side is that there will always be need for maintenance people(with those all around abilitys) at better than average wages.

1. Works best unmanaged
2. IN management's absense will make the most common sense decisions
3. knows how everything around here works
4. is the one guy we could never do without
5. deserving of the highest pay in the facility
6. never to be blamed when things don't go exactly as planned... it was planned to never go exactly as planned.
7. can tell a tap from a backscratcher
8. knows the difference between a drill and a reamer
9. never uses the the term " lathe this down for me"
10. can make anything with nothing but a sharpie and hand drill

Front office guys love to come up with something new.. If it aint broke... break it then pat your self on the back if you fix it.

Could have said "Just give me a 20% raise and I will be that person."

I've seen job advertisements for senior machinist with a minimum requirement of 15 - 20 years of job experience. I currently am a Journeyman who went all conventional / manual machines with some CNC about 18 years ago. Currently doing the maintenance / repair / field machinist gig for the last seven years. I would say the the 15 - 20 years of experience in the title would be a requirement.

Lots of good stuff here and some fun,

Just don't over due it. I love seeing these job descriptions that insist a guy should be able to build the space shuttle on a sewing machine at night in the dark then offer $18/hr and OH BOY OVERTIME to make up for the loss in wages/hr.

Be sensible about the requirements and the money.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Back