What's new
What's new

OT, kinda Cordless impact wrench recommendations or don't buys?

gbent

Diamond
Its time for a couple of new cordless impact wrenchs. My employee currently has one from Snappy and I didn't realize how much he used it until it broke. The new Lithium Ion batteries are recommended for the power and life. What brands can anyone recommend or suggest to stay away from? Maximum flexibility between tools with a specific battery pack would be a plus.

I have a pair of 3/8 Makita 9.6Vs that get used all over the shop, never a problem. Also have a 3/8 Snap On - it's a little more powerful but a lot heavier, it get used to change chuck jaws, the Makitas do everything else.

I needed one 3-4 months ago and looked around at them and since I already had some DeWalt 18V stuff I went with that brand. I just bought the tool only no batteries or charger and it was something like 89.00 bucks on sale. These are one of those little tools that you don't realize how handy they are till you get one. I had really wanted to buy one with the 3/8 drive on it but no one had one on hand and I ended up with the 1/4" hex drive and bought 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive adapters.

tim

I've got the Makita 18v. Very happy with it, and two people have bought one after using mine. Makita makes two different lithium batteries, one lightweight, limited run time. the other heavier(almost twice the size) but with correspondingly longer run time.

Impact

I've got the Makita 18v. Very happy with it, and two people have bought one after using mine. Makita makes two different lithium batteries, one lightweight, limited run time. the other heavier(almost twice the size) but with correspondingly longer run time.

Ditto on the Makita !

I have a 18 volt Dewalt 1/2" drive. Works good for me,only one I have ever used, mabe I don't know any better!!

Check the ratings . The Snap on li ion 1/2 drive is rated for 600 foot pounds and most of the others are rated between 300 and 350 foot pounds. You may not always need the torque the Snap on can give you but it sure can be handy. I bought the Snap on and am pleased with it

+4 On the Makita 18V. I like the smaller battery for better balance. Works great on the car, driving long wood screws - but it will take the heads off Chinese screws sometimes.

Chris P

I have two. The smaller is a Bosch 12V compact impact driver. I find that I use it for almost everything. It is small and lightweight, but for my applications around the shop - it does almost everything. I do have a larger 18V Ryobi that is more powerful, but it is rarely used. For automotive use and anything really heavy, I use an air impact wrench.

I have a Makita 3/8 drive 12v, very good. Seems you can't find anything but the stupid 1/4 hex impact drivers anywhere though. I bought mine in a combo kit. Makita seems to use very good cells in their batteries, making them last longer in run time and longevity.

Back