What's new
What's new

OT: Finding coupler for 45 deg angle??

MwTech Inc

Titanium
The OEM uses an setup where that has a lever controlling a ball valve.

The lever is a right angle assembly that turns 1/4" sq stock.

Back in the machine there is a ball valve that this lever operates.

Lever in the 3:00 position valve open, 6:00 is off ,1/4 turn operation.

The ball valve is positioned at a 45 Deg angle to the lever shaft and has matching 1/4 " sq stock affixed to it.(in place of the normal handle)

Here is the problem: OEM used rubber hose to connect the two shafts.

Gives a very "soft" feel and now over time the rubber gives and will not operate the valve, worse yet there is a switch that must be made, mounted on the ball valve.

There must be a mechanical joint somewhere that will positively drive the valve through a 1/4 turn at a 45 deg angle.

I can't find one, may just not know the right terms to search.

Andy

A 1/4" drive socket wrench universal joint? Or maybe 2 hooked together, if the shafts are supported near the joint.

Snap on makes a 1/4" drive flexible shaft a few inches long that would work also.

McMaster-Carr

You don't say how far apart the two 1/4" shafts are. That's critical information.

McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com has three pages of products that would probably work, pages 1169 through 1171. Try the flexible shafts on page 1171 first.

Just enter the page number in the search box at the upper left.

For general search try "shaft coupling" or "flexible shaft".

- Leigh

Shafts are 2"apart.

Looked at u joints but assumed that driving them at 45 would "jam" up the yokes.

Maybe not?

Thought I saw once a wound, spring type thing?

Andy

Take a look at a garage type floor jack.

A knob is located on the end of the handle which operates the hydraulic shut off valve , which is mounted on the base of the jack.

This knob is connected to the valve by a long shaft with a special universal joint that can transmit rotary motion through any angle from 180 to 90 degrees.

This universal joint resembles a bevel gear set, except the first "gear" is a stamped star wheel and the second "gear" is similar but the tips of the star teeth are bent at a 90 degree angle.

It is a somewhat crude device , but works as intended.

There is a coupler very similar in action to a ball end offset driver for hex sockets. Basically male and female components with 4 (?) near half circle grooves in each coupled by balls. The grooves are profiled to allow tilt during operation. Basically a very low rent version of a CV joint. The male body can, I think, be made with an angle offset to reduce the joint tilt during operation. Was shown one as "hey this is clever" ages ago. As I recall things it didn't look expensive. Sorry not a clue as to cost, source, who makes them or even if they are still made.

Maybe someone else may have a better memory to jog.

Clive

1st choice: I'd go to the local tool store and get a flex shaft for hex drive accessories and adapt it.

2nd choice would be a double U-joint, going thru 45° you'll need a double. Several companies make small u-joints for handwheel applications.

Back