What's new
What's new

OT- Led T8/12 bulb retrofit question

Bigbore050

Aluminum
Looking for someone who has installed the T8 Led tubes in a old fluorescent tube fixture

I'm sitting on about 125 4ft T12 fixtures that either don't work(very dim flicker) or eat through bulbs quicker than I think they should. I assume most of the ballast are old and need replaced. I'm not to electrical savvy and looking for some input.

Instead of replacing all the ballast it seems that a more economical choice would be to direct wire those T8 LED tubes and toss the old ballast in the trash. Replacing the fixtures are not an option at this time.

I'm currently running a discontinued High power factor 277v ballast with F40T12/CW bulbs.

Looking to replace them with these LifeBulb LBU8F225 - 4 ft. LED Tube - 15W - 5K LED Tube 4 ft. T8 / T12 Replacement - 5000 Kelvin
15 Watt 2200 Lumens 120-277V

As far as I can tell I think they should work and if they do will I be happy with the result. How similar will these be brightness wise compared to the old T12s?

About a month ago there was a similar thread with lots of good responses. We just replaced one for grins and the result was good. Compare the brightness in lumens with a standard fluorescent bulb and you have the comparative brightness. I expect the LED will be brighter.
If you eliminate the ballasts make sure the new LED bulbs are compatible with the 277.
Fluorescents in cold weather will be slow coming up to brightness LEDs will not have that problem.

I replaced about 40 four foot, T12s with T8 sized LED bulbs in my house and shop. In the den and kitchen I was able to use either three or even just two tubes in the four tube fixtures and the light was better and brighter than ever. In the (garage) shop I had six two tube fixtures and when I replaced them with 12 LED bulbs I felt I needed sun glasses in there.

I had not completely expected this from the lumen numbers that were published for the old and new bulbs so I was very pleasantly surprised. It seems the fluorescent bulbs were either over rated or they dropped in intensity after they were run for a few months. The LED bulbs worked as rated or even better. That was several months ago and, so far, absolutely zero problems. They just work.

I don't have any experience with 277 V fixtures, but if the bulbs are rated for that Voltage, I say go for it. Oh, and I did remove ALL the ballasts. The bulbs that I used had one live pin on one end and another live pin on the other end so rewiring was easy: I/we just gathered all the wires at one end of the fixture and connected them together and to one side of the line. Then all the wires on the other end were connected to the other side of the line. Nothing could have been easier. But not all brands of LED bulbs work like that as the electrician who finished the job for me told me. He had installed some that had a completely different connection arrangement. So be sure to check how your bulbs are supposed to be wired.

In case you are wondering about the T12 vs. T8 thing, the T number is the diameter of the bulb in eights of an inch. It has nothing to do with the socket size, which is the same for both of them. It is a coincidental fact that those two different size bulbs in the fluorescents require different ballasts. When you replace either of them with LED bulbs, if you remove the ballasts, that difference disappears.

Back