What's new
What's new

Spark Eroding---

tecnovist

Aluminum
Spark Eroding---
This works by useing spark erosion... To shape and drill steel --- I would like to know how they work what Amperage is needed DC I would say --- IT is done under a liquid --- That is used as a ((dyerlite)) its the opposite to an electrolyte as i understant it ---((Thats not the right spelling for ((dyerlite)) damed if i can find it )) So if any one can enlighten me Thanks that would be real neat----

Do a search for "electro discharge machining" or EDM. That'll get you a lot of info.

I think the word you want is dielectric: A dielectric material is a substance that is a poor conductor of electricity, but an efficient supporter of electrostatic fields. (From techtarget.com)

Roger

tecnovist,

Generally speaking, plunge edm (using either a graphite or copper electrode) is done submerged in oil (typically a synthetic blend of some sort, I believe). Wire edm is almost always done submerged these days... and in very pure water (which is an excellent insulator when it's extremely pure).

Jump over to the EDM forum as adama has suggested if you're looking for more information.

Back