What's new
What's new

OT is it legal to pull a trailer with a trailer ?

With the proper Driver's License, it's legal. Same one needed to drive an 18 wheeler.

But, not in Canada, they have weight restrictions that don't allow lightweight doubles.

(At least that's the way it used to be.)

In some states they are. My neighbor across the street has the same setup. I wouldn't do it. Has to be a pain to back up. I know in Ohio and some other states it is also legal for a semi rig to pull more than one trailer.

You need Doubles-Tripples Endorsement on license and vehicles need DOT approved couplings for D & T with approved brake system. Also lots of restrictions on where they can be driven.
In Florida you can only pull tripples on the Fl Turnpike IIRC. That's why you see them doing drop and hook at the exits.

As a former trucker, it can be done safely. If an emergency arises it can get ugly in a hurry.

But talk about going hunting in style! Horses to do all the packing and a nice trailer to sleep in.

First trailer HAS to be a goose/5th setup, (track straight) and the overall length has to be only so long. I don't know the actuall length, and I am pretty sure you don't need any special licence if it is personal use.

Many times you see fellers with a 14' boat behind the camper and they can't see it in the mirror as it is narrower than the camper, They will put a flag on it sticking out to within the mirrors sight.

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Willbird;

You must call the DOT in the area(s) (state or province) that you are towing in to get the proper legal requirements because they will vary a lot from region to region. It took a bit of calling to get the correct information in Ontario Canada but the motor vehicle enforcement department was able to provide it to me. The main restriction here in Ontario is that the tow vehicle have commercial vehicle (black lettering) licence plates on it. We tow two trailers when we go hunting and the set-up tows very nicely. We use Dodge 2500 p-up w/Cummins, then a prowler 723C camper equipped with the required trailer brakes (anything over 3500 lbs) and then a utility type trailer with 2 ATV's on it. Total towed weight would be in the range of 7500 lbs. The camper does not require a 5th wheel or gooseneck set-up on it to be legal here. I wouldn't try it with a heavy second trailer and I wouldn't try it with a tow vehicle that was too light. Good luck.

Glenn @ Metro North

I agree with metronorth.

In Texas if your tow vehicle has an unloaded weight of 2500 lbs or more, you can tow 2 trailers, under 2500 and you can only tow a single.
No special license for personal use.

Can you post an example of a tow vehicle that weighs less than 2500 that can tow at hwy speeds? Let alone anything that could possibly get two of anything out of the driveway?

I gotta see this! LOL!

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

my suzuki samurai at 1800lbs could tow my jetski. (wether it could attain highway speeds with OR WITHOUT anyhting behind it is debatable) i define highway as 55mph. an sadly that's the interstate speed limit for any trailer here anyway

Over here people tow caravans and trailers with cars..not normally at once though,
My lathe and mill both went on a trailer (seperately) towed by a car, the problem with going quickly isnt in the cars pulling ability.

"Semi"=semitrailer, rear axle,(s) and front supported on the "tractors fifthwheel". "Goosenecks" are semis. Technically, any trailer that has some portion of it's load carried by the towing vehicle, is a semi.

A Tractor and semi w/ double rear axles on both are commonly called "eighteen wheelers."

Tractor, semi and trailer, (a "trailer" has axles on both ends) are a "set of doubles."

Tractor, semi and two trailers are "a set of triples", that's four vehicles. Legal in Oregon, Arizona and Nevada, out west.

As Willbird said, what he saw was a set of doubles, both semis.

Bob

In NY on the thurway doubles are limited to 110 feet in lenght. In Michigan there is the MI train, 200,000 lbs, by 12 axles or something like that. Someone check in with those spec's. I've never seen a passenger vehicle with a double trailer in NJ. This is the land of NO, except for graft and corruption, but only politicans are permitted to do that.

Some people never use a trailor.

fun5.jpg

fun6.jpg

fun7.jpg

fun8.jpg

This was a PICKUP truck with a CAMPER on a gooseneck hitch (could have been fifth wheel but didn't look like it), said camper had a bumper hitch on the back, with a heavy looking steel 2 horse trailer attached to it.

PICKUP Truck had NY plates on it, and it was traveling on the IN turnpike :)

Bill

Roadway is the most dependable trucking Co., because you always see those signs " Bridge Freezes Before Roadway" !!! ;)
I drove City (Cincinnati) for them for a year in 1974-75. Most fun job I ever had! I couldn't get on full time because of the union. :(

Back