What's new
What's new

OT- Looking for material for a fuel pump diaphragm

crossthread

Titanium
I just know somebody out there has done this. I am helping my son repair an antique engine fuel pump and a replacement is not available. The diaphragm is dry rotted but the check valves and everything else are fine. I tried NAPA yesterday and called Mcmaster-Carr and they could not help me find diaphragm material. It is a rubber impregnated cloth probably Buna-N (Nitrile) or something like that. The fuel pump is real easy to get to and there is a telltale there in case the diaphragm does rupture so I am willing to take a shot on most anything. I am almost tempted to try a piece of fire hose I have in my shop. The original one is peened on but it looks like an easy matter to grind off the peen and tap for a screw. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Why mess around? It's better to just get a kit for the pump, or to have it rebuilt. Here are a couple of links:

Fuel Pump Rebuilding Kits - The Classic Preservation Coalition

Fuel Pump Rebuilding Kits - Then And Now Automotive

I bought a kit from Then And Now Automotive and was pleased with the service and the parts. The price was fair and well worth the money.

You might well be unable to find a kit by specifying the engine. But fuel pumps are pretty much fuel pumps. If you can find the make and number of THE PUMP I'm sure a kit can be made up for you. This is how I got that kit from Then & Now. If I'd said I want one for an Onan WC, they would have had nothing to go on.

It may seem the only thing that's shot is the diaphragm, but once you get into the pump you may find that the little shafts and other parts are worn too. These came in my kit and I was glad to have them.

I would NOT try using impromptu or make-do materials for a diaphragm. The pump will start to leak and may fill the crankcase with gas.

Good luck with your project.

Steve

btw, not to hijack your topic, but if anyone has a source for carburetor diaphragm material, PM me. I have been completely unable to find kits for old chain saw engine carburetors, or for the flat diaphragm material to make new ones.

thanks!

Our local rubber supply sells Pit Liner.

Designed for petroleum, fiber reinforced center layer, available in different thicknesses..

Some pumps, just do not have kits, or parts available.

Not every pump is an automotive application...

I've done what someone else suggested,, use one from another pump. Quite often they are very close in size and not that hard to adapt. I also buy up cheap NOS pumps when I find them. The trouble is, the kits for a lot of the old stuff are available, but getting very pricey.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will not go into replying to everyone individually but I can assure you that I appreciate your input. I'm sure that with all these ideas I will come up with something. Thanks again.

Back