What's new
What's new

OT- LTL Canada-USA-Canada freight reccommendation?

ManualEd

Stainless
I'm pricing out sending the spindle on my lathe for a rebuild. Google results are pretty sparse for re-building places on this side of the continent. I was planning on shipping it to Spindles Plus in Ohio.

Should fit on a 48x24 pallet, probably 800 or so pounds (just a guess).

Anyone have a reccomendation for a freight carrier for cross border shipping?

Most freight companies charge mega bucks for shipping insurance. Has anyone tried insuring it through their normal broker for the trip, instead of through the shipper?

Thanks for the help.

I have had some bends (a pallet load) sent to me on two or three occasions

from a pipe bender in Vancouver, VIA Roadway Express.

When I expressed surprise that they arrived here in southern Minn. only

one or two days after they were shipped, the driver told me they came most

of the way on " Roadway Canada".

They have since then merged with "Yellow" and run as "YRC"

Same good service on recent shipments.

I have had some bends (a pallet load) sent to me on two or three occasions

from a pipe bender in Vancouver, VIA Roadway Express.

When I expressed surprise that they arrived here in southern Minn. only

one or two days after they were shipped, the driver told me they came most

of the way on " Roadway Canada".

They have since then merged with "Yellow" and run as "YRC"

Same good service on recent shipments.

Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow!

They don't happen to be the same dreaded "Yellow" that have been the topic of a lot of unhappy threads on here, do they?

Yes; probably...

But I have had good service with YRC since I dumped Conway after a disagreement

over "reweighing" a shipment and sending a big increased freight bill.

Most freight companies charge mega bucks for shipping insurance. Has anyone tried insuring it through their normal broker for the trip, instead of through the shipper?

Thanks for the help.

If your insurance company will write a rider for a one-time shipment (called an "Inland Marine Rider" here in the states, don't know about Canada) that is certainly the way to go. Talk to your insurance agent.

Dennis

If your insurance company will write a rider for a one-time shipment (called an "Inland Marine Rider" here in the states, don't know about Canada) that is certainly the way to go. Talk to your insurance agent.

Dennis

Our broker is just your average home owner/auto/business insurance broker, so it would have been difficult to find something so specific.
That's a good starting point, thanks!

I can't recommend a company, but I would stay away from Day and Ross. I used them to ship a lathe from the East coast to a fellow in Washington State, and they tried to come back at me for the same amount as I paid for shipping the first time around, after it had been weighed, measured and delivered. They "reclassified" the item....:skep:

Brian

Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow!

They don't happen to be the same dreaded "Yellow" that have been the topic of a lot of unhappy threads on here, do they?

I usually ship through a freight broker, so I end up shipping though whichever carrier is the least expensive, but I've stopped using YRC. With YRC about half the time there is some additional BS fee (overweight, reclassification) which usually adds between 20% and 65% to the cost. I fought the last one they in which they added about 70%. I had documented proof of the weight and contents, so they gave in, but it was a lot of wasted time. I have only ever had an issue like that one time with other carriers in the past 10 years.

I would definitely avoid YRC.

Back