Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    superalloy is offline Cast Iron

Danner and Iron Age come to mind. I like Dr. Martens, made in England.

Matt

Comatose is offline Hot Rolled

Bob, thats not necessarily the case:

A semi-competitor of ours who also makes electronics are being sued for one billion (yes, BILLION) dollars by some schmuck in California for having "Made in USA" electronics. Why? Well, some of the half-cent components are of Eastern origin. All the design, PCBs, board stuffing, manual soldering, packaging and sales is done in the same factory in Kansas. He employs maybe 40 people.

If you use one imported screw, some useless sack of **** who has never produced anything in his life... Gotta CYA

LL
    LL is offline Senior Member

The last time I bought my redwings I recall the owner of the place mentioning that the heavy workboot redwings wold be made offshore in the future... any good work boots made in the USA anymore?
    Stock up on the USA made Redwing boots while they are available. I had a pair of Wesco's years ago but switched to Redwing 10" logger steel toe. I have run through about 6 pair and still have two new pair in reserve. I used them for landscape contracting and now for market gardening - digging beds, planting trees. If you're working outdoors and using shovels you'll get more work done with less energy spent with these 10 RW logger boots.
    Good snake protection too.
    Excellent alternatives would be any of the Carolina, the Hall and Wesco lineman or Danner.
    There are several models in 10". Probably as good as Red Wing. RW went to part synthetic materials years ago, a piece that wraps around the heel.
    The Halls are cheaper by $50 for equivalent value. RW's will be sold only at dealerships and the 10" logger steel toe will be about $225.00.

Work, Lineman, Safety & Logger Boots
    -
    Carolina
    http://www.carolinashoe.com/
    Many types and styles

Hall
    http://www.hallssafety.com/catalog_boots/boots.htm

Weinbrenner
    http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/

Redwing
    Danner
    Wesco

Work boots
    -
    Carrhardt (available from Tractor Supply)(made by Redwing)
    Chippewa
    Justin
    Wolverine
    Georgia

meco3hp is offline Hot Rolled

Barry,
    I've stepped on a few nails in my SAR boots, not any foot damage at all. I'll never buy anything but Cove boots! Pricey, but just like your eyes, hands, back, what ever, if you depend on them, you got to protect them!

Thanks!
    Richard

JL Sargent is offline Titanium

So I had a pair of Cove/Matterhorns for years. I now have a pair of Danner Fort Lewis boots that are identical in every way. Who made what for who then?

rayman is offline Cast Iron

Here's the companies from "Made In America"

http://travel.discovery.com/tv/ratze...ods/goods.html

One boot company was making another brand under contract, not sure which one. At that point, it wasn't Red Wing.

Kuhner is offline Aluminum

I have worn Danner for about 8 years, noticed the last pair I bought, Made in China. On the web site they do indicate which are made in the USA and which are import.
    I wished I could say I have noticed a difference in quality but I cant. The type I wear are a low hiking/work boot type. Usually go through a pair in about 18 months.

greg

meco3hp is offline Hot Rolled

Hello,
    I wonder of Cove Boots don't make the Matterhorns under contract for Danner and just put Danner tags in them. I know of a couple of times, where Danner stated that all boots where going to the military and that the domestic market would be impacted by shortages, thats about the time I seen Cove Boots step up and start coming out with a exact look alike Matterhorn boot. Cove could be a sub-contractor.

Thanks!
    Richard

james robert is offline Stainless

Greg, You mentioned a low hiking boot i have been interested in a good pair hiking boots that are comfortable, have good protection from rock bruising and wont rub blisters on the bottom of your feet.

I walk the RR tracks and sandy river bottoms, stone jetties and such.

Any suggestions.

Thank you.

snocat_trf is offline Hot Rolled

Thorogood are my brand of choice now, I used to wear Justin's and Work1 but my big toenails always got messed up, not with the thorogoods though. around $150 for the ones i wear. http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/dspNav...&productid=147

Snowcat, How do they hold up im pretty rough on the things that i wear a pair of good jeans are only good for about a year and boots will last two maybe three years if im lucky.

Usually the boots will crack just be for the heel,the heel will become loose or the soles will separate from the uppers.

I want comfort and durability maybe i want my cake and eat it to?

thanks

James

CBlair is offline Diamond

Cove doesnt make all there products in the USA. In fact I dont think they make any steel toe boots in the US. Cove and Carolina are owned by the same company and they make and import boots for each other. I just found that out from the operator at Cove.

Charles

Hawaii Machinist is offline Aluminum

I need comfortable safety toe shoes for use in a hard concrete floored machine/welding shop. My feet burn from standing and walking on that hard floor all day/night. Also, I find my current steel toed shoes very heavy. Anyone know of a good comfortable shoe with Titanium toes?
    Aloha,
    Doug

snocat_trf is offline Hot Rolled

I am pretty rough on them but have had them for two years, the stitching on the heel area came loose but that is the only trouble I have had with them, I take them off and put them on at work too.

The soles do not pick up chips like the Work1 or skechers I have owned in the past. one word on the skechers, they did not have enough arch support for me and after about 6 mos. in the mornings , I could barely walk down the hall because my feet hurt so bad.

Twinhit is offline Cast Iron

How can USA manufacturers compete with the low wages overseas?
    Take a HUGE paycut.

Politicians work for current minimum wage and no soft money or else, it's prison.

Stop Importing and outragious federal and state restrictions.
    There are a few other things....

Other than that, you can expect the chances of exporting yourselves to China or go the way of 3rd world existance.

The reasons why things are the way they are, have a close tie to National Treason. Everyone has played a part to some degree or another.

Shrug it off if you want, but that's the truth.

art_deco_machine Guest

Wienbrenner says their Work One, and there Thorogood American Heritage are USA made. I guess you can assume their other lines aren't. It's an employee owned company, so maybe they will want to keep making shoes in the USA.

Bill's Machine Shop is offline Hot Rolled

Hawaii Mach, When I had to stand for long periods, my feet would ache and burn like you describe. I was convinced by a chiropractor to get some little wedgies they call "orthotics" and put them into the boots. The company is called "Foot Levelers". I don't know if they are still in business. They may have been bought out. There are a lot of companies that make this kind of stuff. I've used them for about twenty-five years. Had to replace them once. Expensive, but I've not had a single problem with my feet since. WWQ

Hawaii Machinist is offline Aluminum

BMS,
    Thanks for your reply. Just by coincidence, a Chiropractor friend also recommended Orthotics, which she also dispenses. She says they may cost $300. Were yours prescribed? I searched the "Foot Levelers" on the web and they are still a viable outfit. They only sell through Licensed Medical Professionals. I will check if that is the brand that my friend sells.
    Thanks for your input.
    Doug btw, whats WWQ?

WWQ - Woodwind Quintet

tnmgcarbide is offline Titanium

My feet burn from standing and walking on that hard floor all day/night."

i use redwing custom fit insoles. they mold to
    your feet inside your shoes, after you heat them
    in the oven to 200deg F. there's a tempil spot
    on them that changes color when they get 200deg,
    you take them out, put them in your shoes, put your feet in ,lace them ..stand still for 5 min.

when they cure , you've a perfect insole the
    contour of your foot. they're $43 ,and well worth it. 1 yr warranty...i've worn mine every day
    for 3 years now.

if they don't fit the first time , you can reheat
    and try again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast