What's new
What's new

OT-Milicon, are you OK?

Assuming you mean Milacron and not Milicon, thanks. I'm fine and boat survived without a scratch. I stayed on board in fact for three days as Hilton Head Island was shut down and closed to incoming traffic...so if I went home to Dogpatch I couldn't get back in at the most critical time...which was yesterday at about 2pm when over 4 feet of water surged over the top of the lock at the marina and rose the boat that amount....which required adjusting lines accordingly, but not the fenders as luckily the wind was blowing the boat away from the wharf it is tied to.

To explain, since the marina is behind a lock, the normal 8 to 9 foot tide does not apply, therefore all the slips and wharfs are of the not floating type...fixed.

But it was a hectic and sometime boring 3 days, glad it's over...and especially glad the hurricane turned west as it could have been a disaster otherwise. (of course it was a disaster, a really really bad disaster....but not for me)

Here's the marina if curious...

Windmill Harbour Marina

One of only 3 marinas on the east coast with a lock entrance.

FullSizeRender-40.jpg

(now counting the seconds before someone calls for closing this thread due to idle chit chat :gossip: )

===============================

Shop is fine, no leaks, no flooding....no special discounts....just the normal discounts !

If you're still bored can you take a minute to explain how they operate the lock.
Seems like on a nice weekend it could take a while to get everybody in/out.
Thanks
David

That's good to hear boss :) keep on keeping on.

P.S. You know the word ''discount'' ??????????? ..................either you haven't a dictionary or you are not a machine tool dealer :D

If you're still bored can you take a minute to explain how they operate the lock.
Thanks
David
Believe it or not, you can operate it yourself with a little training....that way one can leave and return after hours if need be. Will explain more later, as I'm the opposite of bored right now.

P.S. You know the word ''discount'' ??????????? ..................either you haven't a dictionary or you are not a machine tool dealer :D
Most machine tool dealers are such morons that I'd rather not think of myself as being one...I just play one on the internet I guess ;)

Sorry for the misspelling. I will go stand in the corner for the rest of day.

This not idle chit chat. If something happens Milacron, this site goes bye bye.

Tom

Sorry for the misspelling. I will go stand in the corner for the rest of day.

This not idle chit chat. If something happens Milacron, this site goes bye bye.
No problem on the misspelling, just my lame attempt at humor.

As to this site going bye bye without me....nope....Practicalmachinist.com has been incorporated for some years now and while I remain the majority stock holder, there are others that would keep it going just fine. We even have a full time employee...Practicalman.

Thanks
David
I haven't operated it myself yet, but the lock is composed of two sets of swing gates, opened and closed by huge hyraulic cylinders. So to enter you press a button to open the first set of gates, let the water level equalize with the sound water, then drive the boat in and close those gates. Press another button to either pump water in or pump it out depending on the tide level to marina water level. Then when the lock to marina water levels seem equal you open the second set of gates and drive in, then close the gates again.

I just assumed there would be some sort of fancy electronic water level indicator but no...just eyeball it, is close enough..if an inch or two too high or low, doesn't really matter much....you can tell if too high or too low as soon as the gates begin to open by the water flow, and adjust accordingly if need be.

As to it being busy on weekends I've only been there about 2 weeks so dunno...I suspect they tie up a group of smaller boats and make them wait to go in together. Or if coming back there is a long floating dock to tie up to prior to the actual lock to wait it out, or just leave it at that float for a day. But my boat took up the whole lock pretty much....any larger and it would have been a no go.

But speaking of busy, the annual Hilton Head Boat Show is held there.....I've been to the show a few times but always after the boats were already in slips.....must be very busy indeed before the show as there are a fair number of 35 to 45 footers that come in for that show

And FWIW the boring part is I no longer have a living wife, so it was just me...plus no TV reception yet.... 4 TV's but no signal. Then again if I had a wife (or at least the one I had) she would have been hysterical to evacuate and the two of us would never have been on there in the first place !

http://windmillharbourmarina.org/windmill-harbour-lock/

As to this site going bye bye without me....nope....Practicalmachinist.com has been incorporated for some years now and while I remain the majority stock holder, there are others that would keep it going just fine. We even have a full time employee...Practicalman.

Thank you Milacron, that's reassuring to know, ....PM's been part of my life for over 10 years.

Take Care

Sami

P.S. What happened about your living in the UK thread?

P.S. What happened about your living in the UK thread?
Dunno, is it missing ? I didn't delete it...guess it just fizzed out. Seems like we may have discussed this already but have you ever seen the BBC show Doc Martin ? That town and the surrounds are so beautiful....are there other sea side towns like that not overun by tourists ?

Dunno, is it missing ? I didn't delete it...guess it just fizzed out. Seems like we may have discussed this already but have you ever seen the BBC show Doc Martin ? That town and the surrounds are so beautiful....are there other sea side towns like that not overun by tourists ?

Very few, .....GB is a crowded island and that TV show would have been filmed when the place wasn't packed with tourists.

Well, southern Chile had a couple of places along the coast that looked nice, they don't seem to get much snow/cold weather even being that far south, I suspect they may get a similar warm
current like GB.

Valdivia was one town.

Well, southern Chile had a couple of places along the coast that looked nice, they don't seem to get much snow/cold weather even being that far south, I suspect they may get a similar warm
current like GB.

Valdivia was one town.
Well it's not just the way the place looks but the people are even more important...doubt I'd have much in common with the natives there.

Most the seaside towns are a lot like doc Martin were a hell of a lot of the locals do know each other, problem is over the summer they fill up with stupid tourists. For a good 9 months or so of the year its kinda a accurate representation though. For thoes 3 months, expect traffic jams and crowding.

Generally far better to live about 1-2 miles inland. Still plenty of fresh low pollen - low allergy air + very much the weather moderating effects of being near the coast (yeah still freezes, but hot days are cooler and cold days are never as cold as say 20 miles inland. Pic the right spot and floodings no issue nor is high winds. Being nearer the coast does also drop the local rain fall a fair bit compared to further inland, theres just not the thermal activity to drive the rain fall like inland.

Well it's not just the way the place looks but the people are even more important...doubt I'd have much in common with the natives there.

Oh, but you might do!

Chile is a very European anachronism within South America. For 150 years, it was referred to as the "Switzerland of South America" for its economic and political stability. Even during the Pinochet years, the police were clean, polished, and proud, did NOT take bribes. The subway platforms in Santiago looked clean enough to eat off of.

It remains predominantly Spanish and Italian influenced. Local indians didn't make peace and intermarry - they remained aloof, and, per the words of our guide, Oscar Grosvenor-Bunster, a retired Chilean Navy Marine Engineer of English extraction, "They just died". Slaves were not brought from Africa - wrong coast, too difficult. Ethnicity and gene-pool of the present-day population is very different from most of the rest of South and Central America, accordingly.

Worth a look. WELL worth a look!

Oh, but you might do. Chile is a very European anachronism within South America. For 150 years, it was referred to as the "Switzerland of South America" for its economic and political stability. It remains predominantly Spanish and Italian influenced. Local indians didn't make peace and intermarry - they remained aloof, and, per the worlds of our guide, Oscar Grosvenor-Bunster, a retired Chilean Navy Marine Engineer of English extraction, "They just died". Slaves were not brought from Africa - wrong coast, too difficult.

Worth a look. WELL worth a look!

Valdivia - Wikipedia

.....AND.....

Cerveza Kunstmann

......AND....

Google Maps
Lot's of boats on this lake.

.....AND.....

Argentina lake (connected to Bariloche on the south end)
Google Maps

Google Maps

Down near (south) Chileo Island:
https://www.google.com/maps/@-41.74...oVd1u7Rb3zAZWtzJ=w203-h152-k-no!7i1600!8i1200
Not as steep as "Port Wenn" (from the t.v. show) but similar with the fishing boats.

Last edited:

Back