What's new
What's new

Ot...My shop.. Allout

allloutmx

Titanium
Here is what im working on. No glitz or glamour, just an ole boys fkt up redneck dream of being someone that could make metal. Im going to take my time with this..mostly because of my buget. Tomorrow morning, me and old Dad are off to Penn yan to get the interior liner, for the walls. Mennonites are selling bone white for 1.60 a linear foot. Anyway..im three Coronas deep after another 12 hr day, listening to great music in my 37 degree soon to be metal works. Too good of a moment to not share it i guess. Thanks for all the help and putting up with my shit fellas. Milacron plz dont delete ;)

image.jpg

Good luck.

Not enough money, check.
old machines, check.
not enough lighting, check.
Freezing cold, check.
Work to death, check. :D

Looks good, prototrak and a grinder, good places to start, I am sure there is a lathe there somewhere. Dont let your dream pass your budget and you will make out fine.

Charles

It's about time you walked the plank.

It looks better than my first "shop". I didn't have any fancy insulation.

Now you just need a few lathes, one bigun to shred a half inch off the diameter per pass and one little one to make smaller chips. Congrats. . . Now get to work, 12 hour days are for the weekend, it is only Friday!

It's about time you walked the plank.

It looks better than my first "shop". I didn't have any fancy insulation.

Honestly...the day i bought that mill, i repeatedly pictured your shop thread and that fkn drill press. That did it for me. That drill press set off a light.

The insulation I got for free..came out of a cold storage they were demo-ing

Nice, my first job should be to weld up a wood stove if it were me.

Lol, you must have been tomy uncles shop... Some 16 inch tall I beam scrap and 10 lbs of welding rod, next thing ya know, a 4' wide X 5' long X 4' tall fire box.

I worked at a shop once that didn't have heat for 4 years... Monday mornings were cold, but by noon it was fine. By Tuesday we were opening the overhead doors to lt snow in to cool it off a little. Amazing how much heat a couple dozen machines can make in a small space.....good times:D

Well anyway... Here goes.
This started when i was young. I swept floor at dads shop for a lottery ticket when i was too young to know better. I was drawing floor plans of my shop before I was 10yrs old, again too young to know any better, but I knew i wanted mori's and mitsui seki machines. Not starting off at that caliber, but honestly, im really going to try for it. I have some ideas...you know how that goes.

image.jpg

So I bought this mill a few months ago. 1998 SWI trak mill...mx2 controller. I figured i was going to target the tooling and gaging market to build the bank. Whats great is im not limited to bridgeport work, and even though i dont have a lathe yet, i can still cut a circle. I got a smokin deal..they thew in the grinder. No chuck yet. Mill came with a 9" kurt! Whooooot!

image.jpg

image.jpg

House was wired with 200amp service. I just got done running wires from basement over to the shop. Put up a 100amp panel. Electric company gave me a f of a time about the 3 phase. So now the strategy is, to make so much money that I need a CNC VMC, and need 3phase, so that I have to move to my paradise. No big deal. ;)

image.jpg
image.jpg

So now that the electric is in the shop, im quartering off one section, 16'x20' for my immediate working area. Something big enough to work in but small enough where maintaining heat and humidity wont kill me. I have one of the overhead propane furnaces i plan to use, and order a bottle to put out back. The garage is a sheet metal building 32'x40'. I have a bit more room to grow, but thats only being positive and optimistic. Im not really sure how its all going to happen...on the business side of things. Yeah, I know some people, but its just hard for me to imagine that this does in fact have potential to go somewhere. Im working with the money I earn no investors. Im buying quality equipment, but everything in stride. Starting small and slow. Baller on a budget. I should mention..I bought the shop, the house came with it ;)

Bought a compressor, Havent plugged it in yet, and im sure its loud, but its going to do everything I need it to, until paradise.

It's lookin' good, bud! A lathe or two in there and you can make just about anything if you work at it. Add a good TIG welder and you can also fix just about anything. What brand/model mill is that?

You answered while I was responding :) I'm trying to get a small manual shop together, with hopes of adding some CNC equipment down the road. You wanna talk low budget, I've been buying old tools at roughly scrap value and getting them back in operation...I'm not low budget, I'm almost-NO budget. Keep at it!

image.jpg
This is my newest equipment purchase. Going to focus on walls and insulation now, then either an RPC or VFD, for the machines....ballin on a budget

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,575

Back