What's new
What's new

Lathe Tools

trailrider

Plastic
I was given a Monarch 10EE and I am slowly teaching myself to run the lathe.

I've been able to make a couple items for the gooseneck trailer I built with the tool that came with it. I'm am now in need of some tooling since I broke the RH turning tool and in the middle of my next project. I'm replicating the grease sleeve for a caster.

The lathe has an ENCO 4 position turret tool post. Max shank height is 5/8". Should I buy a new tool post? If so which one would be suggested for my lathe?

I will be using the lathe to turn varies items out of steel and stainless steel. I will need to bore holes 0.525 at least 3" deep.

What would you suggest one buys? Where would you recommend buying them from? I prefer to spend more on quality and not a real fan on the items from China.

Thanks,
Matt

Stay away from those 5 piece TPxx sets.. Absolute garbage, I made that mistake, now you don't have to...

Buy quality, stay away from TPG anything.....

Quality doesn't have to be expensive...

Here is a good starting point.... A member here, he gets 90% of my tooling budget and has never screwed me. Just tell
him what you need(general purpose inserts for example), and it shows up. Don't waste his time getting quotes on stupid stuff,
because then he has to charge me more. Small brands, but all quality stuff, he won't sell you crap unless you specifically request it.

HOBBY LATHE KIT

If you need a D series holder or a boring bar, just tell him... His site is not all inclusive. It shows up at your door at a really good price, and its always a quality product.

Maritool had some CCMT boring bars also, decent prices, and they've held up well for me.

Not affiliated in any way, just a happy customer, he has saved me literally thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars over the past 5 years or so...

As for the tool post, is it a quick change, or just one of those crappy blocks that make you want to smash your head against a wall???

As far as tool posts go my suggestions would be to look for a used Aloris BXA (or Dorian) on ebay. FWIW - I also prefer the "wedge" over the piston type.

-Ron

Yes, first thing is to tape a nickel to that four way and throw it in the river... The nickel is so you can say you lost something.

I treat the 10EE as a precision machine, and while it can build anything you can swing and center, I don't find it necessary to hog any metal with it. There are other heavier machines for that purpose. That said there's debate on whether AXA or BXA is the proper size. I run AXA. The CCMT with the smaller I.C. insert is my choice, on a boring bar with a carbide shank. Has worked really well over time, just don't drop it!

Thanks Bobw, heading over to the site to check it out.

I have been looking at the Aloris, but how should on decide on the AXA or the BXA size? Guess that will be my first purchase.

If you decide to get a new tool post and it would help you, I have a spare BXA clone that I would part with for a small sum, but its piston type. Then all you'll need is tool holders. PM me if interested. I have a BXA on my EE and wouldn't go with AXA[unless its free..]
JinNJ

If you are teaching yourself and on a budget, the 5 or 6 pc BXA wedge style Phase2 QC tool posts that Enco routinely puts on sale are perfectly fine and will possibly out last you in a home shop. If you see the Aloris at a favorable price, it would be the better choice. But if it gets down to new and you need to conserve funds for other purposes, Phase2 is pretty good, once you change all the cheesy setscrews in the holders and get a box of good USA made to replace them. The parting tool holders have a similar problem with the soft screw, and it is a little more difficult to deal with when it goes bad, so getting the real deal there might be advisable. I fixed mine by broaching a slightly large and much deeper drive socket so there is about 400% more allen wrench engagement. But starting from page one, that particular holder did not save any money considering my time. The knurling cutters are crap, too; but the other end of the tool can still be used for a regular tool holder. All the multiple square shank and boring tool holders are perfectly adequate.

Of course if the cost of new Aloris is merely incidental to you, go for it, you will definitely not be disappointed.
Some people buy used Aloris post, and get Phase2 holders until they build up a library of them, then change to Aloris on the ones that make sense (like the cut off holder) as deals come up.

Don't waste time starting with a piston post. You can search this site for all the reasons why not.

I like Borite insert boring bars (USA made). But they can be used in my boring heads, too.

smt

Stay away from those 5 piece TPxx sets.. Absolute garbage, I made that mistake, now you don't have to...

Buy quality, stay away from TPG anything.....

Quality doesn't have to be expensive...

Here is a good starting point.... A member here, he gets 90% of my tooling budget and has never screwed me. Just tell
him what you need(general purpose inserts for example), and it shows up. Don't waste his time getting quotes on stupid stuff,
because then he has to charge me more. Small brands, but all quality stuff, he won't sell you crap unless you specifically request it.

HOBBY LATHE KIT

If you need a D series holder or a boring bar, just tell him... His site is not all inclusive. It shows up at your door at a really good price, and its always a quality product.

Maritool had some CCMT boring bars also, decent prices, and they've held up well for me.

Not affiliated in any way, just a happy customer, he has saved me literally thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars over the past 5 years or so...

As for the tool post, is it a quick change, or just one of those crappy blocks that make you want to smash your head against a wall???

I have bought from this guy before but he recently doesn't seem to get it done on his web page. I recently went to the web page to buy a tool and the inserts supposedly under related items were not there. I have tried contacting him once before and he said he would take care of it but didn't. Here is the item
1/2" RIGHT HAND DCMT TOOL HOLDER
If you can get him to follow up I think its great, I can't.
Jerry

Back