What's new
What's new

OT - Need help with highly durable linear bearing/bushings

neidig_09

Plastic
I am looking for a solution to a highly specialized application. A google search led me to this forum, so I apologize if this post is out of place. Please ignore if so. I need a highly durable, affordable way to direct force from a 1.5"x16" stroke hydraulic cylinder linearly. This application would encounter different surfaces at it's contact point. My intuition is to use two 1.5" stainless steel shafts parallel, connected by a steel plate, utilizing either a linear bearing (expensive), or preferably, some type of poly/UHMW/nylon lined bushing suited for linear and angular forces. I have extremely limited knowledge of machining or material. I apologize if this extremely rookie question is obvious. This forum seems very capable of pointing me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

How much weight will the linear bearing have to carry?
Since it's hydraulic, I'm going to guess there's not that much speed?
How much accuracy do you need?
Any somewhere over 16" of travel?
Why the stainless?
And most important, what's your budgit?
JR

I don't think urethane liners are the right direction. How much side load are you expecting? Off the top of my head I would look at Pacific Bearing, or companies like them. The price of the shafts and bearings are pretty damn reasonable, resin bearings being in the range of $15-$25 for that size.

So if I read you right, you want a frame work to take any
bending loads off the cylinder rod (which cannot really handle any).

Really need to see the whole machine.

What are the side loads?

What thrust is required?

Single acting or double acting?

The old-school in-ground auto lifts don’t require guide rails to stabilize the platform; perhaps you could consider a cylinder with an oversized “rod”, and an over length tube, to keep 50% of the rod in the tube, for rigidity.

Which is most likely the design currently on the market.

What are you reverse-engineering?

Building a cylinder isn’t hard; Abom79 produced nice videos on cylinder repair.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/hydraulic-cylinder-design-87152/

What is the expected operating environment?

dust/dirt?
Temperature limits?
Exposed to weather/moisture?
Lubrication restrictions? (oil/grease/food grade/self)

How much weight will the linear bearing have to carry?
Since it's hydraulic, I'm going to guess there's not that much speed?
How much accuracy do you need?
Any somewhere over 16" of travel?
Why the stainless?
And most important, what's your budgit?
JR

Up to roughly 1000 lbs of force linearly, up to maybe 300 lbs "side load"
16" stroke in somewhere around 1.5 seconds, so not a lot of speed, no.
Accuracy is not key. Anywhere under 1/4" side-to-side movement 12" from the bearing would be fine (not sure how to quantify that)
Stainless for durability, corrosion, and marketing
I'd like the "rail" and carrier/bearings/sleeves/bushings all together to stay under $200 if possible.

I don't think urethane liners are the right direction. How much side load are you expecting? Off the top of my head I would look at Pacific Bearing, or companies like them. The price of the shafts and bearings are pretty damn reasonable, resin bearings being in the range of $15-$25 for that size.

Side load total around 3-400#'s probably

So if I read you right, you want a frame work to take any
bending loads off the cylinder rod (which cannot really handle any).

Really need to see the whole machine.

That is basically what I need, yes, but there are other reasons I need the rail system, such as system compactness. I can't show you the machine because it does not exist. That's why I need your advice.

Check these guys out. They also have an in-house engineer staff that can help you use the best products. They sell a lot of Rulon 142 to the machine tool builders in Taiwan and here in the USA. Bearing Manufacturer | Bearing Suppliers | TriStar Plastics Corp.

If your worried about giving them to much info to them I bet they would sign a confidentiality agreement. Rich

Thanks! I'll look into them. I'm not too worried about NDA's or anything, as my application is extremely specialized and this portion would not be the proprietary portion.

What are the side loads?

What thrust is required?

Single acting or double acting?

The old-school in-ground auto lifts don’t require guide rails to stabilize the platform; perhaps you could consider a cylinder with an oversized “rod”, and an over length tube, to keep 50% of the rod in the tube, for rigidity.

Which is most likely the design currently on the market.

What are you reverse-engineering?

Building a cylinder isn’t hard; Abom79 produced nice videos on cylinder repair.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/hydraulic-cylinder-design-87152/

Approximately 3-400 lbs side load, roughly 1000 lbs of force linearly
Double-acting cylinder/stroke
Utilizing the ram of the cylinder is not ideal, mainly for spatial reasons, partly for wear. The size and weight of a cylinder required to be durable enough in that respect would be prohibitive.
I'm not sure what design you're referring to "on the market"
I'm not reverse engineering anything. That would be fairly pointless if this application already existed.
Thanks for the tip on building cylinders. I have no need nor inclination to build them. They're pretty affordable as is...

What is the expected operating environment?

dust/dirt?
Temperature limits?
Exposed to weather/moisture?
Lubrication restrictions? (oil/grease/food grade/self)

Yes, extreme dust and dirt.
Normal midwest temperature ranges (20 degrees F - 100 degrees F)
Exposed to weather, potentially mud (not likely)
No lubrication restrictions. Could be anything.
Thanks!

Back