What's new
What's new

Shapers for sale

Wow. That's the first seller of used machinery I've seen that doesn't seem to be completely smoking crack with regard to their prices. I need a field trip to Ohio!

Just remember they are a salvage operation. Some things I have bought needed money/parts put into them to get them to work. But I ended up with something I could sell for more than I had in it.
They have a pretty good guarantee.

I would not call HGR a salvage shop. You can't go in there with a tool box and start picking parts off of machines. They are a surplus shop. They aquire a wide range of items in a full range of conditions in large quantities. Stuff that is clean and priced right moves quickly. Dirty clapped out machines will sit for a while. Don't be surprised to see more than a few boat anchors in their inventory waiting for the right buyer or ultimately the scrap yard.

I've been a satisfied customer. Most of my purchases have been at prices cheaper than what I see at local auctions in SE Michigan. Add on top of that the added value of a 30 day return priveledge. Most stuff does benenfit from some TLC to get up to par again. This can justify the lower cost.

Note that not everything there is a smoking good deal. Things like Kurt vises always seem to have a crazy price tag on them no matter how much rust or how many holes have been drilled into them.

I must add they are unique in that they have their entire inventory priced and online. So before you walk through the door you know what is there and if the starting price is right.

Hi guys, I bought the # 40-998-131 Gemco shaper. I would not call HGR a salvage shop either. I have bought 5 machines from them, and all are working great. The Gemco shaper was the first that gave me any trouble at all. But with the help of a few people on this site I have it working fine. It's in mint condition. It's just been sitting so long that it was frozen up. Thanks to Johnoder on this site I now have a like new 20" Gemco shaper. At HGR you have to know the guys there, and you have to know your machinery. I live 15 minutes from them, and am there every other day.

Terry K, glad your shaper is up.

I wonder if you have seen a Harrison AA lying about? It was not there long, *looked* good. It was there maybe 4 working days.

The Harrison AA is not there anymore, the machine is in Detroit now and it is a beauty.
I did not buy it but a friend of mine did.
I was down there last week and bought a 1980 FP-1 Deckel with tooling and I'm still trying to sort through everything. :D :D :D
HGR has been very good to me and have not had any problems other than the scary forklift operators.
Kevin.

:D Alrighty! I seen 'em both. Did you happen to get the Aktiv DRO with it?

The AA looked nice, great price, didn't last.

There was no DRO but I did get;
Jig boring head and riser
Vertical head
Fixed table
Small three jaw chuck for the indexer and face plate
Indexer with support arm and a Walter's rotary table. :D
I think I did allright.
Kevin.

I guess it all depends on your interpretation of the two words...salvage and surplus....
In this area neither one is a slur, call them what ever you want.
My experiences lean toward salvage....yours may differ.
Whenever I look at one of their items I factor in having to put money into it to get up to snuff. Some people are less particular and can live with subpar results ...we can't.
Past performance is no indicator of future results
etc.etc.

Back