What's new
What's new

OT- Oxygen tanks are Strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponderingjunkman

Cast Iron
Noticed an interesting phenomenon having to do with an old oxygen tank. I got this many years ago with some junk and want to get rid of it. The brass valve is missing, so not too long ago I put a funnel in it, and rolled it under the eaves of the shop. Rain filled it as planned, then it got cold! I was hoping that it would freeze and crack, but... (I still can't post pictures to a new post...:angry:)

So here's what happened

So here is what happened:
The tank didn't break! The pressure pushed a column of ice up and out the top. The pictures were taken over a period of a few hours. Alot came out and broke off, as seen on the ground. That tank is some strong to contain the ice pressure- and direct it out the top!

I think I may roll it inside and let it thaw- then refill and put a pipe plug in and let it freeze again and see what happens. Anyway- hope you all find this interesting- I'm impressed!:D

Attachments

• wierd 002.jpg
    wierd 002.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,535
  • wierd 006.jpg
    wierd 006.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,499
  • wierd 005.jpg
    wierd 005.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,422
  • wierd 008.jpg
    wierd 008.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,403
  • wierd 003.jpg
    wierd 003.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,205
So here is what happened:
The tank didn't break! The pressure pushed a column of ice up and out the top. The pictures were taken over a period of a few hours. Alot came out and broke off, as seen on the ground. That tank is some strong to contain the ice pressure- and direct it out the top!

I think I may roll it inside and let it thaw- then refill and put a pipe plug in and let it freeze again and see what happens. Anyway- hope you all find this interesting- I'm impressed!:D

Your pictures prove that steel is stronger than ice.

I saw the same situation one cold morning on a hand rail. The upright pieces were hollow and for some reason had a hole near the top, and somehow had filled with water. 1st freezing night pushed little curls of ice out of about 50 in a row.

CarlBoyd

Your pictures prove that steel is stronger than ice.
Hello CarlBoyd
Quite a few years back I had built 2 cradles to pile the slabs in from the sawmill to be strapped with steel bands to form half cord bundles. they were made out of 2"x2"x0.250" tube with the top ends open. One fall they filled up with rain water & later in the winter they froze & some of them split open. This was a column of water 1.5"x1.5" with the top open, & it split 0.250" steel.

No surprise to anyone old enough to remember glass milk bottles delivered by a milkman. Every so often they would be left on the doorstep too long and freeze, growing columns of milk ice out the tops with caps on them. It usually broke the bottles, too. Your bottle should stand at least 3000 PSI. Ice has a number of forms. It would be interesting to see which one confining it to to 3000 PSI plus develops. Kurt Vonnegut destroyed the world with ice 9 in "Cat's Cradle".

Bill

...I think I may roll it inside and let it thaw- then refill and put a pipe plug in and let it freeze again and see what happens. Anyway- hope you all find this interesting- I'm impressed!:D

Geez, i dunno... Steel is pretty strong but have you seen the frozen grenade demo?

Prof. is going on about thermal coefficients... does the ball and ring demo, talks a little more then pauses to do a another demo... fills a grenade sized and shaped casting with water, and screws a plug into the hole. Drops it in the bottom of a an empty milk carton, fills the carton with liquid Nitrogen and *quickly* puts the metal trash can over it, puts a brick on top, puts a jumbo heavy duty rubbermaid gabage can over that. Watches for a few seconds, shrugs... and goes back to the lecture. Minute or so later, ka-BOOM. Nitrogen "smoke" all over the floor, he lifts the Rubbermaid trash can and the metal can is tipped over, grenade is reduced to shrapnel, and milk carton is shredded. Class dismissed and half the freshman physics students head back to the dorm to change their shorts.

Wonder if he's still doing that demo? I'll never forget that water expands as it freezes and just about every other material contracts as they are cooled. The forces involved if you completely filled and froze a plugged gas bottle would be incredible. I wonder ...

IIRC, it takes about 1300 psi per degree to keep water from solidifying, and then that will only buy you about 4-5 degrees F.

They certainly are strong, you should see the bowling ball mortars made from 3AA2400's. Search YouTube for "bowling ball mortar". (there is generally a powder pocket welded in the bottom.)

Geez, i dunno... Steel is pretty strong but have you seen the frozen grenade demo?

Prof. is going on about thermal coefficients... does the ball and ring demo, talks a little more then pauses to do a another demo... fills a grenade sized and shaped casting with water, and screws a plug into the hole. Drops it in the bottom of a an empty milk carton, fills the carton with liquid Nitrogen and *quickly* puts the metal trash can over it, puts a brick on top, puts a jumbo heavy duty rubbermaid gabage can over that. Watches for a few seconds, shrugs... and goes back to the lecture. Minute or so later, ka-BOOM. Nitrogen "smoke" all over the floor, he lifts the Rubbermaid trash can and the metal can is tipped over, grenade is reduced to shrapnel, and milk carton is shredded. Class dismissed and half the freshman physics students head back to the dorm to change their shorts.

Wonder if he's still doing that demo? I'll never forget that water expands as it freezes and just about every other material contracts as they are cooled. The forces involved if you completely filled and froze a plugged gas bottle would be incredible. I wonder ...

That is kind of "out there" due to the fact that the grenade casting is designed to fragment and create high velocity projectiles when a HIGH EXPLOSIVE inside is set off. Ice might store more energy before it burst than a liquid would, but I doubt that it packs the punch RDX does.

I think the brittleness of CI is what makes the demonstration impressive. Due to the high temperature gradient (when frozen with LN2 or Dry-ice/alcohol solution) the CI might undergo a phase transformation, making it even more brittle. (I haven't researched the characteristics of CI for this post).

I would think that a high pressure (~3000psi) gas bottle would be much more ductile and simply split with a very loud crack, assuming it was filled to the brim with water. Any air space would provide additional energy.

You are essentially doing a hydrotest to failure with the freezing of water, ergo, no significant energy release, just the built up tensile stresses in the steel.

The CI "ice bombs" are specifically for dramatic effect, IMHO.

I think the brittleness of CI is what makes the demonstration impressive. Due to the high temperature gradient (when frozen with LN2 or Dry-ice/alcohol solution) the CI might undergo a phase transformation, making it even more brittle. (I haven't researched the characteristics of CI for this post).

I would think that a high pressure (~3000psi) gas bottle would be much more ductile and simply split with a very loud crack, assuming it was filled to the brim with water. Any air space would provide additional energy.

You are essentially doing a hydrotest to failure with the freezing of water, ergo, no significant energy release, just the built up tensile stresses in the steel.

Plus 1 except that I don't believe it would, "split with a very loud crack". More like a pronounced "tink" and to no advantage if the goal is to reduce the mass into managable pieces.

Bob

True, but what are the charpy numbers for that steel at that temp.
Impact strength rolls off quickly when the temp drops.

True, but what are the charpy numbers for that steel at that temp.
Impact strength rolls off quickly when the temp drops.
What temp? We're talking about a sealed steel tank with water in it, set outside in the winter, right?

Just how cold does it get in "Cairo, NY" and would the temp have to dip to the lowest ever recorded to crack a sealed bottle with frozen water?

There is a point not far below 0° Celsius, where contained, (can't split with fissures) water-ice quits expanding.

Bob

Thanks for everyone's observations! When this thing is corked, I think I will take it down over the hill into the woods so that if it does let go with enthusiasm, no harm should be done. Here in Cairo, NY- about 2.5 hours north of NY city, it was 9 degrees F the other morning. Cold! My intent is not to blow it up- just wanted to see if it would crack. I just didn't expect the extrusion process to manifest itself! I wonder if the acetylene tank is as strong...:confused:

I agree with the "crack with a 'tink' sound". I think O2 tanks like that are chrome-moly similar to 4130, and 4130 dies make that sounds when they 'pop' at 180K psi. 'tink' and there's a bunch-o-work waiting for you.

Besides, one the crack relieves the pressure there's nothing left as pressure. That's why you hydrotest tanks instead of aerotest - can't compress water significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back