What's new
What's new

OT - Penetrating Oil

ISIT_RUSTY

Plastic
In a thread in the antique machinery forum, there was a discussion what to use to free up a part. Southbendmodel34 had mentioned a study in Machinist Workshop stating that Automatic transmission fluid and Acetone mixed was the best.
I just received a newsletter today from Tim Carter mentioning the same study. He had included the results of the test, which I thought interesting.

A study done by Machinist's Workshop magazine in their April 2007 issue looked at different penetrating oils to see which one did the best job of removing a rusted bolt by measuring the pounds of torque required to loosen the bolt once treated. If the study was scientifically accurate, it turns out a home brew works best!
Here's the summary of the test results:

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............. 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

In a thread in the antique machinery forum, there was a discussion what to use to free up a part. Southbendmodel34 had mentioned a study in Machinist Workshop stating that Automatic transmission fluid and Acetone mixed was the best.
I just received a newsletter today from Tim Carter mentioning the same study. He had included the results of the test, which I thought interesting.

A study done by Machinist's Workshop magazine in their April 2007 issue looked at different penetrating oils to see which one did the best job of removing a rusted bolt by measuring the pounds of torque required to loosen the bolt once treated. If the study was scientifically accurate, it turns out a home brew works best!

I notice kerosene isn't on there, which is a shame since its always worked god for me.

what ATF and what ratio? How do you store acetone in a convenient container where you are not sniffing it all day in the shop and it just evaps out changing your ratio?

That's very interesting.

I had always heard that Kroil is the best "product" available, and the results appear to confirm that. ATF + acetone is not a "product" that I know of.

Thanks for the info.

- Leigh

what ATF and what ratio? How do you store acetone in a convenient container where you are not sniffing it all day in the shop and it just evaps out changing your ratio?

I mixed the two 50/50 in a plastic squeeze bottle applicator from a beauty supply store. The bottle was translucent and I noticed that the ATF settled to the bottom and the acetone floated to the top pretty quickly. When I shook it up they mixed but you could see that it was not homogenous. No evaporation I could see from the small applicator tip.

I can't report on it's efficacy. I'm using it on a mounting pin rusted in a pair of hydraulic cylinders. 1 month so far, and it's still stuck. I started with Kroil, so far neither has worked. Looks like it's going to need the torch.

The so called study did not involve threaded fasteners as I recall. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it was a press fit. If this witches brew is so good why isn't it in those cans labeled "Kroil" , "PB Blaster", and "WD 40"?

The so called study did not involve threaded fasteners as I recall. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it was a press fit.
The OP said:

...the best job of removing a rusted bolt by measuring the pounds of torque required to loosen the bolt...

That appears to contradict your statement.

I've not read the referenced article, so I have no personal knowledge of it.

- Leigh

how do you know it is not?

Actually

According to the MSDS for Kroil:
1.) Crude oil (Petroleum Base Oil )
2.) Naptha
3.) Mineral Spirits (Aliphatic Petroleum Distillate)

Last edited:
I have had great luck with KROIL on old tractor implement bolts and such. You know the attachments that never get covered up

Besides I love that Shop-ley smell of KROIL. It'S also alot cheaper than POLO after shave:nutter: Still stings the same though.:)

Don

I use both Kroil and PB Blaster, but after seeing that report I think I'll just stick with Kroil once the spray can of PB Blaster is gone.

I lucked out with the 1 gallon (US) can of Kroil I got. I had bought a hand-built tool kart (a nearly 300-pound beast with 8" urethane-covered cast wheels and 3/8" thick welded-on top) at an auction of equipment from the closed Warner Swasey/Norton grinder facility in Worcester MA many years ago. Inside one of the compartments was this nearly-full can of Kroil I was told be a friend that is was especially good and somewhat hard-to-find, so I've used it sparingly for years now.

Where's a good source to replenish it?

Buy it from Kano Labs

I buy mine right from the Mfg., Kano Labs in Tennessee. Once you buy a little they will send you deal after deal to get you to buy more

I bought a couple gallons and a case of spray cans last year and use it liberally as needed. It's not cheap but it sure does work

As far as the after shave thing goes I only use it for that when I want to keep SWMBO out of the shop :D

IMPO,
Kroil is the superior penatrant, but is by far lacking in the ability to help pick up chicks at the tractor pull like a liberal splash of wd40.
i_r_machinist

Kroil is the rats ass. It's probably about the same as the thinned out ATF, but using kerosene. Hard to get acetone/ATF into an aerosol. Nice to know about the ATF and other home remedies in case of a Kroil shortage.

I didn't see the article, but unless they rusted many, many fasteners in a controlled environment and averaged the results, it probably wasn't very scientific. There must be a huge % of variance considering rust, humidity, bolt tolerances, temperature, application of product, time to penetrate, etc.

IMPO,
Kroil is the superior penatrant, but is by far lacking in the ability to help pick up chicks at the tractor pull like a liberal splash of wd40.
i_r_machinist

Now that would really be tough to prove scientifically. Based on my experience with WD40, they were probably loose to begin with :D :D :D

Back