What's new
What's new

OT: Perkins 6.3544 Diesel Engine--opinion?

Richard Rogers

Titanium
I'm possibly getting a forklift with this model of motor in it. The motor was run out of oil, so I'd likely need a full engine rebuild kit and a ground crankshaft. I've rebuilt engines before, but not a Perkins.

Is this a motor a model worth rebuilding? My father had a a Perkins in a Massey Ferguson tractor years ago, and I remember it being a decent engine.

Anything at all that can be offered for advice about this engine, I'd appreciate.

Richard

I have had a number of 6-354 Perkins engines. Currently have one in Massey model 540 combine. Very dirty engine with incomplete combustion. the 354 (cubic inch displacement) series were direct injection engines with 16:1 compression ratios. Other Perkins were indirect-Ricardo- pre-combustion chamber engines and ran with much less nasty exhaust. Many years ago, the 354 was the first engine to be excluded from highway use by EPA.
Having said this, they are tough and simple to rebuild. Also pretty cheap with rebuild kits at $800.00.
jh

As JH said, tough, simple, reliable, easy to work on etc etc etc, wonderfull machine does what it says on the tin, clean air oil and water is all they need to last a long time.

IMO just what a good industrial / workhorse diesel should be.

FIRST OF ALL, pressure test the cylinder head, they're very prone to cracking if severely overheated.

FWIW ON Perkins of that age theres a build number along with the engine type, this is important as there are a lot of variations - IIRC 6 / 7 different pistons for example.

Like all Perkins of that era the valves wear very thin so will need to be replaced along with the guides, and possibly need valve seat inserts as well.

WARNING 1 Make sure the valve stem to guide clearance is as spec or slightly larger, they're reknowned for seizing valves in the guides if too tight.

WARNING 2 On the 6.354 ''H'' models - horizontal or lying on it's side, the oil pump scavenge gears are no longer available.

WARNING 3 A good whack on the timing end of the crankshaft - say when removing the engine especially from things like shovels and forklifts?? can & WILL crack the first crank web.

This company in the uk does a manual for that engine if you can't find one that side of the pond.

http://www.tractor-manuals-uk.com/perkins-manuals.htm

I ordered a leyland/jcb manual from them about a week ago, ill let you know when it arrives. Cant yet properly recommend them...

And having wrote that, it arrived in the post about a hour later. Its a photocopy but perfectly legible, and about 450 pages, and came airmail.

For applications like a forklift, in my opinion a 453 Detroit is a better engine for this purpose. I can possibly put one in the place of this Perkins.

This ought to get something going. Tell me why I'm right or wrong, please. :willy_nilly:

Richard

Probably the way to go Richard, stick with what you know, the Perky 6.354 isn't native to the US and they're getting a bit long in the tooth now.

FWIW Over here, if it was a Detroit I'd be looking at a transplant with something easily & cheaply available.

Makes sense to me!

I'm really familiar with the 53 series Detroits, and would likely be able to drop one into this machine that already runs. This Detroit happens to have an air compressor attached for the lift's air brakes too.

Richard

Back