Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in the 50s-60s the Arizona DOT put up crosses where there had been a fatality. Back then most of our highways were only 2 lane and some were very mountainous so at dangerous areas there were a LOT of crosses. It was considered a safety deal back then. I really started noticing the pictures,flowers ,etc. ones in the 80s onward. Seems a Hispanic thing as their percentage of the population increased so did the memorial, I understand in Mexico they are very common.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary E View Post
    While we're at it lets get rid of the damn BABY on BOARD signs....
    Sometimes it's as if that's the one driving

3. Likes tdmidget, Ray Behner, JohnEvans liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have them here too and I'm not in favour. Anyone that really cared would put flowers at the gravesite. They do distract and that can't be good.

Personal memorials by the roadside are as dangerous as this Feock: Village that was blighted by 900 road signs is de-cluttered after council agrees to remove nearly 200 | Mail Online

5. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good that the Feockers came to their senses.

Rex

7. Likes Ray Behner, Mike_ liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wish we were more like those Feockers

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In TN those road side grave markers are every where. A few years ago law makers decided, There are NO dead bodies buried along the highway put your grave markets in the cemetery where they belong, fake grave markers caused accidents drivers looking and not paying attention to driving so they proposed a law to make them illegal. Next thing I hear on TV weeks later road side grave markers are now Illegal. All the grave markers vanished and weeks later they all reappeared. One grave marker on I-24 south of Nashville says, LUCKY BAILEY, someone changed it now it says, UNLUCKY BAILEY...........LOL. That's funny. Grave markers have all returned and the law is not enforced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Leigh View Post
    The same thing is prevalent in Calif.
    I want to know when it became a good idea ? That's why we have graveyards. It is a eyesore to me and a distraction. What happens if there's a shooting in front of your house ?
    Or a car accident ? When is it going to start landing in YOUR front yard ?

The other deal is stickers on your car in memorial to the dead ---------------- how did we get by all these years without all this ?
    There was one in a vacant lot on the end of a residential street corner when I lived in Riverside Ca. Big eyesore pile of trash. It would disappear whenever the lot was tilled for weed removal every few months, then immediately reappear. This battle of wills went on for the 6 years I lived in the area. This was not a car crash but a double homicide of a cheating wife and her boyfriend who where caught making out in a car parked on the lot.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

12. Likes JoeE., John Welden, tdmidget, Winterfalke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I saw one on the back of a Tuk-Tuk here (Ceylon) yesterday. The funniest are the Tuk-Tuks with Harley-Davidson and Confederate flag stickers ; usually stretches the length and breath of the entire back window on a Tuk-Tuk.

14. Likes Ries liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just south of here a school kid was going 100mph over the speed limit. Rolled the car and was killed. His car ended up in a guy's front yard. A cross was stuck in the ground ON the guy's property. He respected it. Then plastic flowers, teddy bears, candles and bullshit appear. All this crap is stacked in a pile (pick up load) in front of an enormous pine tree. The guy could take no more and removed it. They put more in it's place. This went on for quite a while. The last time he removed it (so he could mow his own lawn), they snuck in and burned down that tree. What a thoughful and sincere gesture for a dead friend.

16. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We've got a bunch of them in our area. I don't like them because most of them look trashy.

The first one I remember seeing was probably 15 years ago when a group of 5 bicyclists were run down by a drunk driver. They put up 5 small white crosses. It was tastefully done, so it didn't bother me, but now the crosses are faded and look pretty bad. More bicyclists have been killed and the local biking club how finds it necessary to find an old bike, paint it white, then stand it up on the side of the road with a sign. Looks pretty tacky.

We have a lot of Hispanics in our area, and yes, they're really bad about these hideous looking monuments. We now have memorials that include beer cans and lights (solar powered, of course). Now that our county has become the most dangerous in the state for driving (26 killed so far this year) it will only get worse.

I noticed when driving through Florida that the state highway department puts up markers. They are all the same and small. I think that might be a good way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Here in SC they are all over the place but naturally the most elaborate tacky looking one I've ever seen was erected by the side of the road, Hwy 170, front of my new shop building a few months ago. Trying to be tolerant of such a personal disaster, but this one is way over the top, complete with large photo of the deceased, written messages, the obligatory cross, and plastic flowers all over the place.

I find the tradition* a bit odd in the first place, but if it means so much to some...ok put up a little cross and the deceased's name, and leave it at that.

*I imagine many of you don't know what the heck I'm talking about !
    Oh yes I do.....Nutjob over testosteroned teenager flew over hill, little car packed full.

Lost it on hill (flew thru the air), crashed thru basement of 150 y.o. farm house,
    splitting car in half, 2 dead, 2 messed up, 95 y.o. house owner was evicted,
    had to sue to get house fixed.

Idjits friends show up to tree he hit, clearly trespassing, light candles, have parties
    leave all sorts of things, including beer bottles, park all over yard.

Been going on 2 years ago, keep candles lit, keep adding crap.

No-one bothered to fix tree, no-one bothered to ask permission to park cars
    in front yard on and on....

Cops now keep people off yard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just getting back from Canada and not seeing one of those eyesores,
    Canadians are either better drivers or have more sence in general.

When we come back into the US I remarked to Three, I think we have
    just traveled into a very poor country. Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A bit off topic but I get really confused when people write to loved ones via their status on facebook. Do dead people really have facebook?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, they are incredibly tacky. I am also sure they are illegal but they are one of those things the authorities like to ignore. Kinda like when I see a cop roll down his window at a stoplight and give some bum a couple dollars instead of telling the bum to get lost.

I would also note that the entire 'roadside memorial' thing is something that is Mexican in its origin. As we hand our country over financially to the Chinese and culturally to the Mexicans, we should get used to more and more of this sort of thing. In any case, I hope everyone here had a great Quatro de Julio weekend and spent a lot of time with su familias!

22. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sicero View Post
    Unfortunately not the case . These roadside memorials are not uncommon here in Nova Scotia. I can think of three within 5 miles of my home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sicero View Post
    Unfortunately not the case . These roadside memorials are not uncommon here in Nova Scotia. I can think of three within 5 miles of my home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A year or so ago there was a court case about roadside memorials being put up by the state. If I remember correctly It was in Colorado where the state had erected crosses at the location where state troupers had been killed on the job. A group of athiests were suing the state for erecting a religious symbol on state property with sate money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Harvie View Post
    I can confirm this. I don't mind the little white crosses, although I really don't get it. But I don't like the more elaborate stuff.

What I approve of, is parks allowing families to sponsor say a bench or something, and they put a little memorial plaque on it. It's actually useful, and it's much safer (no distractions for drivers).

27. Likes Ray Behner, tdmidget, ronr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This must be legal in Alabama. There is a stretch of road between Atlanta and the Florida panhandle that was featured on the Travel Channel as one of the most dangerous highways in the world. At one point, I counted 18 white crosses on a certain stretch. Here's an article from 2010, a bit old but true.

Long road to rehabilitation nearly over for east Alabama's deadly U.S. 431 | al.com

It also made the 40 most dangerous roads in the world; see # 20.

40 Most Dangerous Roads in The World

They have really done a lot of work to it, but it took 35 years to finally widen it to 4 lanes.