What's new
What's new

OT: Plans for Super Duty Wind Chimes

Grits

Stainless
Hello Everyone:

This is a strange request but this is why I need some of these. I have had a problem with a guy, sitting in his truck, deer hunting, about three feet from my property line. My neighbor, who owns the land where he sits, does nothing to stop it. I thought I would give him something to listen to.

I am an avid hunter and conservationist. The neighbor provides no habitat. If this guy does not drop the animal in it's tracks, it goes right back on my property. My purpose is not anti-hunting in any shape from or fashion, it anti-jerk.

The louder the better.

Grits

Good Idea Mudflap

MudFlap

You have really outdone yourself this time. That will rank right up there with putting an ad in the classified section of the paper, 'Pay cash for second hand X-Mas trees", on New Years Day.

I assume you are talking about bottles used in welding. How many and how big?

This guy could not hit the bottles much less the chain and to say the least, he is not a rocket scientist.

Grits

Why use welding tanks? You can get propane 20#s for free. Cut the tops off, flip and add a clanger and you're set. They're also not going to risk ricocheting the bullets when the idiot shoots at them.

Also, why stop at wind power? Put a solar panel and a mechanical clapper in it so it makes noise from dawn till dusk. ;) The thin steel of the tank will resonate the noise nicely.

I Hope He Shoots at It

If the fool, and I do mean fool, shoots at it, and is lucky enough to hit it, I will have him locked up for vandalism.

The ideas are getting better all the time. I wish I would find an old carbide cannon. We use to use them to scare blackbirds, out of our rice, when it was heading out. They were relpaced with cannons that use propane. I have been standing by one when it went off and they will scare you to death, not to mention, ring your ears.

While I am asking silly questions, has anyone ever built a remote control crocodile? There are a few churches here that still Baptise in a bayou, river or lake. I almost did it, thirty years ago, when I was young enough to get by with it. I never pulled it off but it sure would be a hoot.

If yall ever see anything like that on the nationl news, it means I have started drinking again.

Grits

Grits, since you watch the guy sitting there, you could have some real fun with black powder and a model rocket igniter or 20. :D

2-4" pipe "mortar" and some powder... then use cat 5 cable and you have 15 firing circuits at your fingertips with a single run. Add a 6-9 volt battery and you've got a morning salute that'll surely soil the guys shorts, as well as clear the forest.

How many and how big?
The big T argon/oxygen bottles make a nice deep resounding Dooonnnnngggg sound. At least 5 of them, more is better, right? Maybe add some smaller ones. Hang them from a sturdy tree branch that moves in the wind, put them close together so they hit each other or put some kind of striker in the middle with a tail on it. A medium sized bottle might make a good striker. Maybe run a rope to the house so you can swing them when there's no wind.

Glad you like it. Put a video on youtube, OK? :D

Black Powder

We use explosives on the farm. A cap and a few feet of 50 grain det cord would also work well.

I would drive by him, with the Sirius Blues channel going wide open, last season. I need something like chimes that would work most of the time. I have to be careful with something like an explosive or I could be in violation of the law. Black powder would most likely be okay. What I mentioned above might get me in a little trouble. I could blow stump or two out of the ground.

My radio did a good job of ruining his hunt and making him mad. My goal is to keep the deer out of his maximum effective range, which is inside a hundred yards, and also irritate him. he is not smart enough to get the message.

I can I safely cut cut the bottoms off gas bottles? I know a guy that touched a torch to a 55 gallon drum and it blew him out of shoes, literally. His mind still is not right and that happened almost forty years ago.

It may be a blessing yall do not live close to me our we would all be in jail.

Grits

A local farm store has a big set of wind chimes, made from 5 or 6 aluminum tubes approx. 2-2.5" diameter, about 1/8" wall, 3-5' long. I think the clacker disc is 1/4" aluminum. Makes a hell of a racket that you can hear all over the store.

I have a 330 cuft cylinder I will DONATE to this cause.

I placed an ad here, and on craig's list, got a couple bites @ $100, but in my barn it sits. It's been through a fire, and is black from soot, but never got hot. Anyways, you can HAVE it, so long as it's actually put to this application. Instead of a wind powered ringer, why not an electrically operated striker that goes off like an alarm bell every couple minutes. A solar pannel, a timer, and a battery, you have an OBNOXIOUS noise toy! For the striker, all you need is a piece of heavy steel barstock, a spring, an electro magnet, and a reed switch. Tune it so the electro magnet pulls in the barstock against the bell, and at the same time turns off the reed switch. The spring pushes the barstock back to closing the switch, and the cycle repeats until power is removed. Same way an alarm bell works. Vary the positions of the components/spring tension for best results. :cheers:

You have to find a way to get the cylinder home. :scratchchin:

I've decapitated dozens of lp bottles without incident thus far. I remove the valves first, so there's no compressing any ignition if one was to occur. That leaves no "boom" potential, just maybe a little flash from the hole. I've yet to see one, and I pierce them with plasma. You can fill with water, or you can store them upside down for a few days before working on them. The lp gas is heavier than air, so it'll settle out given a little time.

This is only for lp. Any kind of other fuel might have significantly more risks and may need greater precautions. Use this advice at your own peril.

The plasma sparks do a nice job of burning out the mercaptan stink too.

Inert gas cylinders don't pose any risks when cutting into them (assuming they're empty). I wouldn't think of putting a spark/flame/grinder/ or anything for that matter to an acetylene tank - you couldn't pay me enough.

I got to thinking what a 330cu ft cylinder is going to sound like.

I'd imagine something like a CHURCH BELL!!! Oh man, that could be VERY obnoxious! I want to hear it if you do this. :cheers:

Why not HF noise?

Any electronics store will sell you a device to drive moles and stray dogs away. It emits high frequency noise which neither you or your neighbour can hear. I expect deer can but I don't know. The thing is quite small and easily hidden. You have to put a new battery in once in a while.
By the way, did you try to speak to the idiot? Maybe he doesn't realize he's driving you mad.
Let's hear the outcome of your story! Regards, fusker

I have seen wind chimes made from compressed gas bottles for sale. I think the largest was about 5' tall and they had some smaller ones. They sounded good. Big square or round tubing or pipe will work, too. I know a guy with an outdoor (original intent) carillon in his (big) house. The longest tubes are about 32' and you can play a tune on it with a keyboard or computer. His neighbors protested when he wanted to put it outside. So he put it in his music room, along with the largest theater pipe organ in the world.

Anything but a fuel gas tank would be safe to cut after the valve is removed. Acetylene tanks have a filler and acetone in them even after the acetylene is gone.

Speaking of fuel gas and carbide cannons: Calcium carbide plus water makes acetylene gas, which, mixed with air, will make a nice bang. You can eliminate the problem of finding calcium carbide and just use welding acetylene. Google will find a lot of ideas on how to do it.

Larry

You are going to have to put up with the noise too,aren't you ? I think some kind of powerful device,like suggested above,but larger,that shakes the ground at high frequency would keep deer away. Research what spooks deer.

I'm made real wind chimes from EMT or electrical conduit. I've used 1" but it comes much larger and costs less than pipe or tubing.Has a very good ring to it just suspend from string, rope or wire to let it resonate.
You could also throw some corn on the ground and report him for hunting over bait. It's very illegal around here!

Arkansaw

"Arkansaw" was the original spelling of "Arkansas". The reconstructionist changed the spelling to make it sound more like Kansas. I cannot remember exactly why I used the original spelling because it was so long ago. It did have something to do with the redistruction of the South. I do remember I changed it after some long OT discussion.

Grits

I have also done electrical conduit chimes, and though they don't resonate as interestingly as gas bottles, they make a pretty insistent sound, enough to irritate after a while if they are placed right. Put them in a circle, with a round clapper in the middle, from which a paddle is hung, and they'll ring and ring. Conduit or other thin walled pipe has the advantage of being plentiful and safe to work with, and much easier to hang.

But how about, instead of a chime, something that clacks or makes another annoying noise, such as a small windmill with a noisemaker in it? Perhaps a bicycle wheel with vanes and a clacker? This would have the advantage that you might be able to turn it off or disarm it when it isn't needed.

gwilson, there is almost nothing that spooks deer after 5 days. If you can come up with something that works past 30 days for less than $500 you could become a wealthy man.

Kansas
So many deer, so few bullets.

Back