What's new
What's new

OT Pnuemonia

Well I am back in the shop after pneumonia did its best to kill me. Almost 2 weeks off work, now I am really behind, told the customers to deal with it. They would if they planted me....... Still not 100% but am feeling better each day. Take care of yourself, don't let a cold / flu get out of hand especially if you are getting older because that shit will kill you. It just killed Dan Gurney last week.

Well I am back in the shop after pneumonia did its best to kill me. Almost 2 weeks off work, now I am really behind, told the customers to deal with it. They would if they planted me....... Still not 100% but am feeling better each day. Take care of yourself, don't let a cold / flu get out of hand especially if you are getting older because that shit will kill you. It just killed Dan Gurney last week.

Glad to hear you are back and on the mend!

Kinda like being slow-dragged through your own arsehole, dry and tight, as far as catching a breath now and then, wasn't it?

Once was too much arredy, anyway.

Confirmed by X Ray ? Sounds like it was "walking pneumonia" as the pneumonia I had, no way I could do anything but just lie in misery until I got antibiotic...then I was almost back to normal the next day.

More and more people are dying since the powers that be decided antibiotics are really bad and make "superbugs", the science is as questionable as global (man made) cooling warming or boiling.
Glad your feeling better, the coolant question is valid, sprays of aerosol bacterial soup is fairly bad, we were running some experiments before I retired using UV lamps on a flow table to kill coolant monsters, results were promising (I remember buying pond uv lamps when making the treatment station)
If you can a mask may be helpful, bit oriental but they might be smarter than we think.
Mark

Confirmed by X Ray ? Sounds like it was "walking pneumonia" as the pneumonia I had, no way I could do anything but just lie in misery until I got antibiotic...then I was almost back to normal the next day.

"Sputum test" was the determinant when I had it. Wudda been worse had I not been able to just drop a 3-pack a day unfiltered Camel cigarette habit to ZERO.

WVU Uni hospital Doc was angry:

"Son you have HAD pneumonia! Luckily you are almost OVER it! Take these!"

Rather large pink pills. And it was longer than just a day or three before I could claim to be recovered. Borderline light-headedness, need of extra sleep, and low energy anyway - very - for easily a whole month.

Moonlight? "Baby" yerself at least 'til warmer weather goes stable. You too, Don.

This s**t can either come back, or leave you weakened to other stuff.

That's big PHEW Moonlight :) you had me worried there, ....you look after yourself, the older we get the less punishment we can take, and we're even less invincible than we thought.

FWIW In the winter 2002-03, At 75 YO, My reasonably fit still working part time (Plumber & Heating Engineer) late father caught a cold, ....and in the middle of said cold the obstinate old fool (I'm being polite .....there was a lot of family crap between us !) ..much against Mother's wishes went out to change a boiler.

2 days in cold house in cold damp weather etc etc turned his cold to pneumonia, a week later he was in Intensive care for 10 days, ..... followed by another 3 weeks in High Dependancy, followed by another 14 days in general hospital.

That dose of pneumonia broke him,........despite everyone's best efforts he ''gave up and took to his chair'' - becoming an ever bigger and more embittered PITA ........and died 3 days before Christmas 2009, not seeing the arrival of his first great grandchild.

Okay, the above may be an extreme case, .....but IMHO, catching preventable diseases etc etc is at the very least, being very unfair to those who have to look after you.

Trust me, get the pneumonia shot next year. The second time you get it is worse than the first.
JR

Why wait? get it right now. it is "one per lifetime". The Prenar 13 has the most common 13 varieties. I'd be dead without the early version I got a long time back that covered 3 strains.

Why wait? get it right now. it is "one per lifetime". The Prenar 13 has the most common 13 varieties. I'd be dead without the early version I got a long time back that covered 3 strains.

This is typically not presented as optional once somebody of a certain age gets the illness. Doctor will push it hard. My
wife had zero resistance to it after her bout with pneumonia. Hospitalized for four days, IV antibiotics. Pretty clear that
without that, she would have died in short order.

In here case the pneumonia was probably the follow-on after she had (and pretty well recovered from) influenza. Cytokine storm
and all that.

Cytokine storm - Wikipedia

I had surgery to get bone spurs out of my shoulder, caught a little something and had *really* bad coughing. I did not realize it was pneumonia, and tried to tough it out a couple days. Hurt like hell to cough with the fresh surgery.
Turns out heavy coughing like that increases the pressure of your spinal fluid, which is probably what tweaked a nerve or 10 in the area of my crushed vertebra T12/S1. Woke up one morning with no sensation in my left leg.
The vertebra injury had never really bothered me before, now it kicks my butt. Sensation in the legs is back, boy howdy. Little bit of work and I get "pins and needles" in the foot. And the back kills me.
Take-away from the homily is that if you get to coughing bad like that, it's time to get to the Doc, pronto.
Gettin old ain't for sissies.

Take care of yourself, Get into the habit of more vitamin C , Bee pollen is an aid to avoiding it next time just a few half tea spoons a month enough,,Likely your lungs will not be as strong for a couple years. I wear a dust mask grinding and any dusty jobs..
Glad you did not op out of life as we would miss you

Buck

Glad you got help and are mending. I was really sorry to hear of Gurney's death, a true legend as a driver and innovator in racing.

Are you sure about the statement "only one pneumonia shot per lifetime"?

I was under the impression that you got a "booster" shot. I asked about this very thing a while back. I asked the doctor or nurse or whoever I was talking to whether I needed to get another pneumonia shot, since my last one was like 3 years ago.

Their reply led me to believe that I didn't need one right now, but maybe in another year.

I still haven't got a flu shot. I've had a cold this winter, but that's all. I think it helps to not be surrounded by people.. and not having to work in close proximity to lots of other people. Helps your chances of avoiding it.

The doctor who gave me that pneumonia shot initially asked me if I wanted a flu shot. I told him no. He then said "well, at your age, you better get a pneumonia shot, because you don't want pneumonia".

I took that advice.

X ray, yes, 4 days in the hospital, I was not doing much walking.

Glad to hear your Okay buddy!! I know you tried to tough it out even after many of us recommend you go get seen asap but glad you finally went to the doc./ER. I was very stubborn to go in and get seen myself tell I just could not breathe anymore.
It took me about another week before I felt up to 100% and was able to work in the shop a full day.

Again I am glad your feeling better.

Back