What's new
What's new

Chatter- turning

Rob1937

Plastic
I have noted several contributions regarding solutions to the old chatter problem when turning. Like all of us I have been plagued with chatter on turning jobs for over my 60 years experience using lathes.But now I have a solution that works for me wonderfully. The answer, for me anyway, is the "Wonder Insert™" now only solves the chatter problem but also allow very fine cuts of down to 0.001"to be made unllke most carbide
tips. Not suitable however for rapid removal with heavy depths of cut. Definitely worth trying if you having difficulty finding the answer to beat old-man chatter.
Rob

I have noted several contributions regarding solutions to the old chatter problem when turning. Like all of us I have been plagued with chatter on turning jobs for over my 60 years experience using lathes.But now I have a solution that works for me wonderfully. The answer, for me anyway, is the "Wonder Insert™" now only solves the chatter problem but also allow very fine cuts of down to 0.001"to be made unllke most carbide
tips. Not suitable however for rapid removal with heavy depths of cut. Definitely worth trying if you having difficulty finding the answer to beat old-man chatter.
Rob

With your 60 years of cutting experience, I won't presume to lecture you on chatter or it's causes. I expect you've seen and dealt with enough chatter to know all the likely(and some unlikely) causes and how to deal with it. My experience has been that it's caused by too much tool radius(your Wonder tool appears to have only .015"), a tool not adjusted properly as far as tool height goes(too high usually), a tool with too negative geometry(I expect the Wonder Tool is very positive), an unstable setup, too high or too low a surface speed.
Then we get into the more esoteric causes, such as phase of the moon, latest UFO count, and interplanetary plate tectonics. You know, just the usual stuff you can't do anything about. OIf course, I haven't even mentioned the fact that your south of the equator.:o)
Have you seen any others that I've missed?

I was using a 1/4" wide form tool on some 1" dia. 360 brass rod yesterday. My HLVH only goes down to 130 RPM,or so. A bit of chatter set in. I had just about finished the cutting when it started. I turned the lathe off and rotated the spindle by hand,taking off a few thousanths,and cut the chatter marks right off,leaving the molding nice and smooth. Of course,this was only a special situation,not when feeding a long cut. But,it worked fine in this instance.

Well at least a spammer from new Zealand is rather unusual. As to up sharp ground high positive inserts, i could have shown you were to find some 15 years ago, they are not exactly "new technology"!

I am not sure of the OP's intentions here but this would be a useful finishing insert.
The CB notch is a bit long for the rake, so I wonder if it will produce "stringers" in most light cut applications.

Defiantly not "new tech" and many have been making this style since the late 1960s to solve chatter problems on light machines or long thin parts.

One would hope that most don't have to rack up 60 years of experience to "get" how to shave .0005 off a part using carbide tooling although there have been many posts by people who have problems with it.

Straight to Rob1937:
Many (including me) will give you a hard time here. Please don't let this stop you from posting. The board needs all the input it can get.
Thank you for posting something that will get a few people to think "outside the box". :cheers:
Bob

Rob1937 Probably came here because he was excited about a product he had discovered and used with some success, and was eager to share his experience with other like minded people. I take my hat off to a man who has been machining for sixty years, but is still passionate about his interest.

He probably did not come here to be ridiculed by self appointed experts and blog site superstars who have offered very little in the way of useful information, but seem more interested in blowing their own trumpet about how long ago they saw a similar product. Maybe they have nothing better to do than sit on their back sides spouting their fountain of knowledge in chat rooms, and belittling the thoughts and ideas of others.

No one made claims about the insert being new technology. It would be new to anyone who has not seen one before, would it not?
Rob1937 obviously thought it would be nice to share the information with others who may not know such tools exist, only to be labelled a spammer by Mr “3766 posts since 2004”. I hope the previous 3765 posts were worth reading.

So, for any one who is actually interested, these are the benefits of the “old tech” Wonder insert ™

Most inserts are made by pressing carbide powders into a mould. This process produces a relatively blunt edge, which is good for removing lots of material quickly. The down side is high loads and high temperatures which makes fine finishing cuts difficult, especially if you need to remove another 0.05mm to reach your target size. Results can be disastrous with conventional pressed inserts, especially if it’s the last cut on a complex part.

TNGG160404R-S PR1125 inserts are different for the following reasons.

1/ Sharp ground cutting edge for fine finishing cuts.

2/ Also strong enough for cuts up to 3mm depth, and interrupted cutting.

3/ Positive cutting rake for low cutting resistance.

4/ Low cutting force for less chatter on delicate parts.

5/ Less deflection when turning slender shafts or pins.

6/ Suitable for low powered, less rigid machines.

7/ Fine finish is achievable even at very low surface speeds.

8/ Tough carbide grade with special Kyocera Mega Coating for long tool life.

9/ Economical with six cutting edges per insert.

10/ Suitable for most materials, even aluminium and sticky CQ steel.

11/ Fits all makes of holder made for TNMG1604 inserts.

12/ 0.4mm or 0.8mm corner radius.

Use for all carbon and alloy steels, stainless steel, aluminium, copper
brass and even cast iron.

Carbinez,you are right on: Way too many jerks on this forum,for which I recommend a forum enema to improve the quality of the forum.

Carbinez,you are right on: Way too many jerks on this forum,for which I recommend a forum enema to improve the quality of the forum.

Carbidenz makes good points, I get the argument and criticism with his post.
Perhaps my wording was bad.
I will try to censor my worthless, amateur posts from now on.
I have no illusions that I am a expert. I have been acquainted with many people who know this stuff much better than I do.
I should have been nicer, :dunce: :dunce::sulk:......my apologies to the OP.
Hopefully Carbidenz will also post more in the future.
We need more people with cutiing tool experiance here.

I still stand by the fact that this is a very useful tool .
Bob

"I still stand by the fact that this is a very useful tool"

Spot on id say.

There is a lot of specific inserts like CCMT ground and polished high positive inserts. A lot of people use these for all sorts of abuse and while you can often get em on ebay for a good price, (By the looks of it, i guess....stolen from job...in many cases) they are actually darn expensive.

A LOT of model engineers and hobby folks use em because its the only insert a chinese minilathe can handle. But i still hear about getting them chipped very quickly with anything less forgiving than Aluminum and free machining steel.

That said....
Never bought any so far, no need.....
Still, this TN-- style insert would beat a CCGT hands down in my shop if it performs the way advertised. Simply because its got 6 edges.

Hi Zonko.

Thanks for your comment.

The TNGG160404R-S PR1125 (Wonder Insert) is not as fragile as many may think. Its quite a tough grade of coated carbide in a stainless grade
and is actually quite hardy and does not chip the edge that easily. They will handle quite a depth of cut as well as small finishing cuts. Not for machining out bad welds of course. These inserts have become quite a hit in my neck of the woods.

Regards.

Back