What's new
What's new

How to clean stamping oil off parts

springht

Plastic
I appologize if this question is not in the right section or group. I'm looking for a way to clean stamping oil (Tuff Draw) off parts right off a stamping press. Nothing perfectly clean, but enough so they can be heat treated and not bother that step. The parts are Stainless steel, under 4" diameter, thickness is .035-.188, they are relativley flat, the press runs around 80 strokes per minute The parts come out on a shaker. I'd like to put something at the end of the press like a wash system? Something hands off. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I was thinking this:MPW Mini Parts Washer,

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

We drop our parts into alcohol. A five gallon bucket with a colander works perfectly. We also have dedicated driers for post drop, but you could simply spread them out on a towel to air dry.

Hope this helps.

Ever tried "vanishing oil?" Doesn't appear that you're doing too much drawing, and I'm not sure how it may be rated on SS. A web search may answer this for you.

You ask for thoughts,.......... IME the more oil that can be removed before going in to solvents etc the cheaper it is, both in oil usage and solvent consumption.. so drain as much as possible?

Equally, are only using what your really need oil qty wise? A lot of people use too much and then fight removing it! Some solvents won't work that well on some stamping - forming oils as there not so much oils but more like long chain fats, especially true also for some environmentally friendly cutting oils too. Best use a caustic agent which turns them into soap and simply wash it off, no need for solvents.

Take that advise for what its worth, i was just responsible for cleaning off the incoming stampings for a bit. A caustic solution got them cleaner faster and for a lot less cost than try to do the same with solvents.

Back