What's new
What's new

OT - Prostate Problems

Hi guys, I just got out of hospital today after having my prostate gland removed. I was due to go under the knife in early December but the op kept getting put back because of the flu epidemic over here that put Rich King on his back.

Anyway I got my turn or Tuesday and now it's all over and I just have to get back on my feet. The amount of tablets I have to take is unreal, along with anti DVT socks an all that.

My balls are enormous but they tell me that's what happens and they will return back to normal size.

Given the demographic of this site can I ask Don not to consider this as " Chit Chat " and leave the thread up.

If there's anyone out there that can give me advice on my recovery I'd be very grateful.

Regards Tyrone.

Sorry to hear about your health Tyrone ... but at least you should now be sorted:)

If you want something to do ... I've got machines to clean and move to my new home ... OR ... you put a posting on an XXX site and boast about the size of your balls ... someone may want to to care for them :D

What ever "sensible" threads come in ... just pick the best and enjoy!

All the best

John:cheers:

Mine wasn't removal but before the surgeon went in he had me on a drug that cautioned pregnant women not to make skin contact with the pills. It was supposed to shrink the prostate before he went in. My nuts also seemed to be smaller. I had zero swelling there but the blood clots in the catheter was a problem for about three days after. I was one happy camper when I got the catheter removed. No cancer so all was good.
I am in Canada to you have to wait. I saw two old guys like me in the waiting room walk out in disgust because the surgeon was running two hours late. We were warned by the clerk so no surprise. I keep thinking that those two idiots likely signed their own death sentence if they had cancer.
Younger guys: Get your doc to check your prostate!!! Having some guy put his finger up your butt is a lot better than being dead. My doc used to look at my chart and with a smile say: " It's your birthday this month"

Mine wasn't removal but before the surgeon went in he had me on a drug that cautioned pregnant women not to make skin contact with the pills. It was supposed to shrink the prostate before he went in. My nuts also seemed to be smaller. I had zero swelling there but the blood clots in the catheter was a problem for about three days after. I was one happy camper when I got the catheter removed. No cancer so all was good.
I am in Canada to you have to wait. I saw two old guys like me in the waiting room walk out in disgust because the surgeon was running two hours late. We were warned by the clerk so no surprise. I keep thinking that those two idiots likely signed their own death sentence if they had cancer.
Younger guys: Get your doc to check your prostate!!! Having some guy put his finger up your butt is a lot better than being dead. My doc used to look at my chart and with a smile say: " It's your birthday this month"

For one reason or another I had various catheters in for 10 months !

I agree with your sentiments, any man over 45 should have the tests. The PSA test and the finger up the bum test are nothing. I was in a two bed ward. The other guy in with me was 56. He had prostate cancer that they only discovered as a result of blood tests regarding his diabetics. He had no other symptoms.

Regards Tyrone.

Get your doc to check your prostate!!! Having some guy put his finger up your butt is a lot better than being dead. My doc used to look at my chart and with a smile say: " It's your birthday this month"

My Flight surgeon used to do it as a freebie to the FAA medical.

Told him as he had been a Naval Pilot, and I was Army, I'd be keeping a wary eye out to insure he didn't have BOTH HANDS on my shoulders.

I have not had that operation nor do I not have said problems..but my good friend just had his removed last year. According to him, at the present time, which is 8 months or so post surgery, he is still wearing adult diapers and feels that getting an erection is a thing of the past. I had a partial colectomy years ago and that area of the body is a maze of nerves that affect the bowel and bladder. My control in both departments was confused for a long time..back to normal now.

Stuart

and feels that getting an erection is a thing of the past. I had a partial colectomy years ago and that area of the body is a maze of nerves that affect the bowel and bladder. My control in both departments was confused for a long time..back to normal now.

Stuart

There must be a wide range of possible outcomes and differences in situation, then.

Two of the older guys I have known who went through it said they wished they'd had it done YEARS earlier because it had restored a good sex life.

I came out of hip replacement 3 years ago and couldn't go. Doc said it's not rare. Waited around for 6 weeks to have TURP surgery (around here, commonly know as Roto-Rooter). They did a chest x-ray and found a spot on my lung had grown. So, then I had to have a lung biopsy. That's when the fun started. You all can guess the rest. I was supposed to be dead 8 months ago. I think it's the Tobasco sause that keeps me going, but beer helps a lot.
JR

BTW, if you've never had a prostate biopsy, don't volunteer for one. I can also say that the second one isn't any better. A PSA of 15 and nothing but lung cancer. Go figure!

My admittedly un-medical opinion is women are to blame for a good deal of prostate problems. Imagine the outcry there'd be if it were determined, or even suspected, that breast cancer in women was a result of lack of regular sex.

After about 2 years of getting up to pee, one time a night at first, then twice a night, then 3 times, I knew it was time to do something. I'd had 3 DRE's (digital rectal exam) and PSA tests. The third PSA spiked to 6.5....The sawbones said my prostate was only slightly enlarged, but based on my family history (father at 70, my maternal grandfather at 60, and his father died from prostate cancer) he was sending me to a urologist. After flow test and all that, he recommended biopsy. They took 13 samples and 7 were cancerous. Back then, at age 52, my best bet was a "radical prostatectomy". Doc told me radiation would lead to cancer in 15 years or so, and since my flow was so restricted I needed surgery (roto-rooter) anyway. I did have some swelling for a couple of days afterward. Catheter was removed 2 weeks later (what a relief) and I had to wear a "pad" about 2 months after until the leakage stopped. Of course I was concerned about pleasing my honey, he said that since I had no trouble in the erection department before surgery, there was a 90% chance that in about 12 months I should be able to have an erection on my own, without medicinal help. It was actually 13 months. I'm not embarrassed to talk about it, and have told other men, older and younger, GET CHECKED. Yes, those of us who have gone through it have been violated in ways a man shouldn't be, but I have seen men with advanced prostate cancer, in what appears to be agony. Getting violated sure beats dead! There is light at the end of the tunnel. GET WELL! PB

I came out of hip replacement 3 years ago and couldn't go. Doc said it's not rare. Waited around for 6 weeks to have TURP surgery (around here, commonly know as Roto-Rooter). They did a chest x-ray and found a spot on my lung had grown. So, then I had to have a lung biopsy. That's when the fun started. You all can guess the rest. I was supposed to be dead 8 months ago. I think it's the Tobasco sause that keeps me going, but beer helps a lot.
JR

BTW, if you've never had a prostate biopsy, don't volunteer for one. I can also say that the second one isn't any better. A PSA of 15 and nothing but lung cancer. Go figure!

youre 2 hundred and twenty something years old and you think you were suppose to be dead 8 months ago? :rolleyes5:

check your inbox guy.

The only thing I can add is what I told my urologist, namely that he took all of the fun out of a good fart, and made a loud sneeze into a new experience.....

I had my prostrate removed 4 years ago. Psa was elevated at 4.7. Biopsi was the pits. More pain than I was warned of and much more blood in the urine. Agressive cancer found in over 50% of the samples. Asked my Dr about his recommended treatment. He said surgery first and then radiation if the cancer had not stayed encapsulated in the gland. Can’t do surgery after radiation due to tissue damage...
I still wear shields but don’t leak much at all any more. Bladder sensitivity is worse but I just take advantage of rest rooms as they appear.
I will say that my Dr. told me to find a surgeon that was good at robotic surgery. DaVinci (?) by name. Smaller incisions, and much much finer controll of the instruments allow finer disections and reduced distress on healthy tissues. 2 weeks on a catheter. Move on with life. Light duty physical exertions for 6 months. PSA undetectable since the surgery.
Joe

My Doc says, most every man will die with Prostate cancer, few because of it. It also seems that PC does add to the chance of other more lethal forms of cancer.

Back