What's new
What's new

OT? Protecting paint.

capital7

Cast Iron
Hello,

I'm curious as to if there is a way to protect spray painted surfaces with a clear coating that would be similar to powder coating in scratch resistance.

The application would be for a custom paint job on an off road recreational vehicle that a friend of mine wants to spray paint with designs.

Does such a thing exist?

You can get clear powders too, bu they will all scratch to some degree. IMHO if you want a truck to drive through the bushes, you need to accept the scratches, you want a pimp mobile, don't go off high way!

You can get clear powders too, bu they will all scratch to some degree. IMHO if you want a truck to drive through the bushes, you need to accept the scratches, you want a pimp mobile, don't go off high way!

I wasn't aware that they made clear powders too, thanks.

Again, it's a friend of mine that wants to do it, I'm just helping :p he knows that it wont be impervious, but it wont be as easy to scratch as regular paint.

Thanks for the info!

If you suggest to your friend the powder coat idea on a fully assembled vehicle then it would have to be done with heat lamps. Not something I would suggest to a friend, maybe a not-friend. I would use a clear coat and expect to touch it up every so often, as long as the scratches do not go too deep down to the base coat.

I think your friend is going to find that scratches will not be the only damage. Stone hits will make nice alterations to the paint job. What comes to mind is something like Imron, if I remember correctly, or the paint that is used to paint aircraft.

^ If your taking air craft off road and bushes are scratching em i sure as fuck dont want to fly with you as pilot!!!!!!!

Adama that is why in Alaska highwing planes are preferred, for gravel airstrips. Also keeps things out of snowdrifts too near the center line.
Bil lD.

^ If your taking air craft off road and bushes are scratching em i sure as fuck dont want to fly with you as pilot!!!!!!!

When a plane lands the wheels immediately receive a impulse response to spin and all kinds of stuff can hit the plane. As well as temperature differentials from sea level to thousands of feet can test a paint job.

Don't worry, I would only fly with someone who could figure that one out.

Might want to consider a vinyl wrap in this case. Have the paint job converted to a digital image and applied to the vehicle. When it gets too battered, you strip it off and stick on another one.

Vinyl wraps are good, but there softer than paint they also typically are only rated for a 7 year life span, Rust build up behind them can be a issue + they need delicate care, you really don't want to be pressure washing them too hard too oftern which kinda limits there use in of-road stuff. That said again the better films do have glues that set to some degree so its not too bad, but hot pressure washing will still strip most of them with ease. Also unlike paint wraps once damaged need that panel replacing you can't really touch them up. The inks do fade a bit in the sunlight so change just the wrap on one panel on a couple of year old job and it will stand out like a sore thumb against the rest of the truck.

3M do a special clear protection film Protect your vehicle's paint with Scotchgard™ Pro Series Paint Protection Film It works well, but its not cheap and protects very well against gravel rash, though may not hold up so great against bushes. Its really common in the boy racer crowd or higher end motors protecting top end finishes, most of thoes guys only use it on the high impact areas though, like the front edges of bonnets and front wings - bellow bumper areas. The self healing is true and pretty amazing to watch scratch it and come back in a day or so and its noticeably better though never really totally heals, but really does hide minor scuffs well.

Best all over protection is probably still just one of the better harder 2 part clear coats as used in the auto world. Some of those are so clear you can really build them up thickness wise and they also give great UV protection to the paint underneath which may be more important to your application than you realise. Some paints fade really fast and badly still with out a top coat with something to block the UV rays. Most minor marks if just in the clear coat can either be buffed out or built up and buffed out back to original A1 condition.

As to the plane thing, don't mind gravel rash, fully get that, but its the going through bushes part still seams best avoided. Trust me i have been flying model heli's since i was a kid, back when it was hard before its gyro stabilised everything, hitting bushes was bad + It was bad when the owner of said bushes found out (Mother was PISSED i had halved the height of her rose bush)

Vinyl wraps are good, but there softer than paint they also typically are only rated for a 7 year life span, Rust build up behind them can be a issue + they need delicate care, you really don't want to be pressure washing them too hard too oftern which kinda limits there use in of-road stuff. That said again the better films do have glues that set to some degree so its not too bad, but hot pressure washing will still strip most of them with ease. Also unlike paint wraps once damaged need that panel replacing you can't really touch them up. The inks do fade a bit in the sunlight so change just the wrap on one panel on a couple of year old job and it will stand out like a sore thumb against the rest of the truck.

3M do a special clear protection film Protect your vehicle's paint with Scotchgard™ Pro Series Paint Protection Film It works well, but its not cheap and protects very well against gravel rash, though may not hold up so great against bushes. Its really common in the boy racer crowd or higher end motors protecting top end finishes, most of thoes guys only use it on the high impact areas though, like the front edges of bonnets and front wings - bellow bumper areas. The self healing is true and pretty amazing to watch scratch it and come back in a day or so and its noticeably better though never really totally heals, but really does hide minor scuffs well.

Best all over protection is probably still just one of the better harder 2 part clear coats as used in the auto world. Some of those are so clear you can really build them up thickness wise and they also give great UV protection to the paint underneath which may be more important to your application than you realise. Some paints fade really fast and badly still with out a top coat with something to block the UV rays. Most minor marks if just in the clear coat can either be buffed out or built up and buffed out back to original A1 condition.

As to the plane thing, don't mind gravel rash, fully get that, but its the going through bushes part still seams best avoided. Trust me i have been flying model heli's since i was a kid, back when it was hard before its gyro stabilised everything, hitting bushes was bad + It was bad when the owner of said bushes found out (Mother was PISSED i had halved the height of her rose bush)

Thanks! I'll let my friend know about that Scotchguard, He's a little trigger happy with the pressure washer and has it out for the local vinyl guy (Still not sure why) so its looks like some form of clear coat will have to do :)

There is something better than the 3M car wrap. It is called Expel. I have it on one of my Porsche's. I got a scuff on the front end from murdering an 18" traffic cone at 65 mph. Washed the car first, then took a big cup of hot water from the tap and poured it over the scuff. The Expel film healed itself. This was late Fall and very cool weather. In summer months it will heal on its own in the hot sun.

Sounds like Army helicopter pilots. Those guys aren't allowed to land if they don't have leaves and twigs hanging off the belly and skids of the craft. Pure insanity in the air.

Back