What's new
What's new

Fowler Dial Caliper Disassembly

Gazz

Stainless
I couldn't resist, a 12" Fowler dial caliper at a yard sale for very little money. It looked to be in nice shape but I didn't check it out thoroughly before handing my money over. It has a small problem in that it does not always return to zero when it is closed. I varies about .004" - sometime it goes past by .001' and sometimes it indicates .003" shy of being at zero. Sometimes it is right on. I did find some buggers or something on the rack gear Which I cleaned off with a pin and figure there must be more on the pinion. The stuff is very gooey. I took the four small philips head screws out and the two set screws for the friction device but the dial and mounting plate would not come off. What am I missing? Or is it glued in place with the buggers? I got a pile of stuff with it and it was essentially free so no big loss if I can't fix it.

Gazz:

I bought one of those (like yours) new about 2 1/2 to 3 years ago. Brand new it acted exactly like yours - jaws closed -.001 to +.003. I also check its readings against 'Jo' blocks and got the same variations at each inch with a +-.003 to +-.005 out past 8.0".

The best I could tell, the pinion bushing to pinion shaft fit was excessively sloppy allowing the pinion to float up and down on the rack and float + or - fore and aft. The rest of it, beam & carriage also need to be lapped for smooth operation.
Bottom line...I sent it back for a refund.

Later, I ran into another guy who had one that was just as bad. He tossed his into the scrap tub. It seems some of the Fowlers are as bad as the Enco 'imports' - junk.

Amigo

Back