What's new
What's new

polishing aluminum.

hawgnkutz

Plastic
Hey guys, im polishing an aluminum vacuum block for a friend, im just wondering, once its all polished up, what should i use to protect the finish? Can i use a aerosol type clearcoat like automotive paint clear coat, or any type of wax? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Wenol is a polish in a tube that is supposed to also protect the polished finish.

I have some, but haven't really used it enough to comment on how it works over time.

It came highly recommended though.

-James

If it is a vacuum fitting, I would not put anything on it

Don't understand that statement, Why?

re;Critical vacuum fittings we make for Boeing are polished, brushed and a paste spec'ed protective finish hand applied, they don't want anodize apparently for the same reason what ever that may be.

vacuum fitting

in high vacuum any kind a grease or oil or wax applied to a surface can out gas or boil off stuff. thus why do not apply anything to vacuum fittings. there are some greases rated for high vacuum but most greases will boil in a vacuum.

when making rubber polyurethane parts the urethane is mixed and the bubbles are removed in a vacuum chamber. you know you have a high vacuum when water and other liquids like polyurethane boil at room temperature. the vacuum is slowly released and urethane is slowly poured into molds.

No, the fittings will not be polished. It's just the block that im polishing, and i have also taken that into consideration. When i polish the block im going to use NPT Plugs in all the holes. Thanks! :)

in high vacuum any kind a grease or oil or wax applied to a surface can out gas or boil off stuff. thus why do not apply anything to vacuum fittings. there are some greases rated for high vacuum but most greases will boil in a vacuum.

when making rubber polyurethane parts the urethane is mixed and the bubbles are removed in a vacuum chamber. you know you have a high vacuum when water and other liquids like polyurethane boil at room temperature. the vacuum is slowly released and urethane is slowly poured into molds.

Is teflon tape OK?

I used a product called White Diamond and polished a piece of alum. tubing about 5 years ago , its been in hot , cold , high humidity , touched , and what ever else could happen and its just as shiny as when I polished it

Polished ally will not oxidise, the polished layer stops any further corrosion. I've had aluminium mirrors for years still exactly the same today as they were when I made em.

If you're using vacuum grease, make sure it's high vacuum grease, it's expensive, but does the job on seals etc.

I've heard that clear powdercoating is nice. I've polished a lot of aluminum, but I haven't coated any of it yet. To be honest, I just re-polish the parts by hand when they start to dull up. For a customer though, I imagine some sort of protectant would be a good idea.

~Josh

Back