What's new
What's new

OT Rat poison

Randy in Atlanta

Aluminum
I read maybe a year ago, someone had a formula for home made rat poison.
I think it had concrete and flour or grits in it.
I connot find it in the search but, I need some cheap poison for the back yard
(No dogs or cats) I hate rats!!

thanks

Randy with to many fussy varmints

Somebody already said it... But mix some plaster of paris and something deliceous.
Maybe sugar and plaster of paris. Cement might work too, haven't tried it.

The problem with some of the home made poisons is that the rat has to eat a certain amount for it to be fatal. If not enough to kill, it can make them sick, and once that happens, they won't go near it again. Modern poisons are actually an anti-coagulant. The rat never feels the effects of a non fatal dose, but once enough builds up in their system, they hemorrage internally to death. Just food for thought.

"Modern poisons are actually an anti-coagulant."

Warfarin.

If it is prescribed for humans, it is called Coumadin. Same
chemical, actually.

Jim

A good bait to attract rodents like mice and rats is bacon grease, or salamni. The green rat blocks, D-con i think, are wax, bacon grease, and warfarin. Put it inside some lengths of pipe to keep birds and rain off the bait. Say 2" or bigger pipe diameter. Works best if both ends are open so they can see the exit.
Bill D.

Peanut butter, Portland cement, and a Hi-Standard .22 pistol. Or if you're in a hurry, 3' of 2-4" PVC and a quart of Prestone. They crawl down the tube for a drink and don't come back. It needs to be boxed such that the neighbor's expensive Afghan or shar pei doesn't slurp it up.

The .22 is in case the critters change their minds and crawl out.

The problem with some of the home made poisons is that the rat has to eat a certain amount for it to be fatal. If not enough to kill, it can make them sick, and once that happens, they won't go near it again. Modern poisons are actually an anti-coagulant. The rat never feels the effects of a non fatal dose, but once enough builds up in their system, they hemorrage internally to death. Just food for thought.

My next door neighbor put out rat poison in his backyard. His dog ate some and
started to bleed from the mouth. He said that she never ate any of the stuff
before. Almost killed his dog. He did kill his parent in a car wreck though. Was
fiddling around in his pocket for some change and rolled the car.
Stupid clumsy bastard.

My next door neighbor put out rat poison in his backyard. His dog ate some and
started to bleed from the mouth. He said that she never ate any of the stuff
before. Almost killed his dog. He did kill his parent in a car wreck though. Was
fiddling around in his pocket for some change and rolled the car.
Stupid clumsy bastard.

That was uplifting.

A bowl of dog/cat food and a pellet gun are a lot more fun than the poison.

For a long-term solution do as Hdpg suggests and get a cat.

Last edited:
we had one die in a brick wall of an old mill building, this was an outside 20 inch thick wall so we were not about to tear a hole in it. PU and it lasts for ever.

Rats are much harder to poison than mice. They are suspicious of new food sources, and some sources state the rats will force younger/weaker members to sample new sources first. If you have control over the surrounding area, make the area unattractive to the rats before starting a baiting program.

As for pellet guns, I've seen rats run off stringing guts, crawl off after being hit with a 12 gauge, and generally disappearing after what would be lethal shots on about any other animal. Biggest rat I ever saw was about 4", and he took 2 shots from a 12 gauge.

Rats are much harder to poison than mice. They are suspicious of new food sources, and some sources state the rats will force younger/weaker members to sample new sources first. If you have control over the surrounding area, make the area unattractive to the rats before starting a baiting program.

As for pellet guns, I've seen rats run off stringing guts, crawl off after being hit with a 12 gauge, and generally disappearing after what would be lethal shots on about any other animal. Biggest rat I ever saw was about 4", and he took 2 shots from a 12 gauge.

Eh ... he just dodged the pellets.

Them rats is fast.

A .22 pellet ... or LR ... in the right place will put a stop to 'em.

The small target just makes it more challenging.

I'd like to get my hands on the guy who had the bright idea of importing these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutria

As if "normal" rats weren't bad enough ...

Last edited:
  1. Boric Acid Method
  2. Step 1
    Mix boric acid with chicken broth until you have a relatively thick paste.
  3. Step 2
    Roll the paste into small balls.
  4. Step 3
    Place the balls in areas where you've either seen rats or rat droppings.
  5. Step 4
    Watch the area carefully for signs of a dead rat.
    Plaster of Paris Method
  6. Step 1
    Combine 1 part plaster of Paris with 1 part flour.
  7. Step 2
    Season the mixture with either sugar or cocoa powder.
  8. Step 3
    Sprinkle the mixture in areas where you have seen rats or have seen evidence of rats in the form of droppings.
  9. Step 4
    Watch the area carefully for signs of expired rats.

Back