OT Rat poison
Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: OT Rat poison

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Covington, GA
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default OT Rat poison

    I read maybe a year ago, someone had a formula for home made rat poison.
    I think it had concrete and flour or grits in it.
    I connot find it in the search but, I need some cheap poison for the back yard
    (No dogs or cats) I hate rats!!

    thanks

    Randy with to many fussy varmints

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Angleton, Texas
    Posts
    1,423
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    443
    Likes (Received)
    227

    Default

    Lead does a pretty good job of it.

    A dose of .177 or .22 from a good pellet rifle will do the trick near every time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Brunswick Oh USA
    Posts
    3,569
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2594
    Likes (Received)
    1731

    Default

    My old neighbor used a mix of 50/50 plaster of paris and oatmeal. Worked for him.

    Ray

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    4,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    255
    Likes (Received)
    818

    Default

    Somebody already said it... But mix some plaster of paris and something deliceous.
    Maybe sugar and plaster of paris. Cement might work too, haven't tried it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tacoma Washington
    Posts
    1,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    27
    Likes (Received)
    89

    Default

    The problem with some of the home made poisons is that the rat has to eat a certain amount for it to be fatal. If not enough to kill, it can make them sick, and once that happens, they won't go near it again. Modern poisons are actually an anti-coagulant. The rat never feels the effects of a non fatal dose, but once enough builds up in their system, they hemorrage internally to death. Just food for thought.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    22,460
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2909

    Default

    "Modern poisons are actually an anti-coagulant."

    Warfarin.

    If it is prescribed for humans, it is called Coumadin. Same
    chemical, actually.

    Jim

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Taylorsville Ky
    Posts
    3,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default

    Why not use antifreeze since there are no other animals around?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,816
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    92

    Default

    Get a few cats.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Modesto, CA USA
    Posts
    3,908
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    394

    Default

    A good bait to attract rodents like mice and rats is bacon grease, or salamni. The green rat blocks, D-con i think, are wax, bacon grease, and warfarin. Put it inside some lengths of pipe to keep birds and rain off the bait. Say 2" or bigger pipe diameter. Works best if both ends are open so they can see the exit.
    Bill D.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Puget Sound, Washington
    Posts
    3,204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    31
    Likes (Received)
    200

    Default

    Peanut butter, Portland cement, and a Hi-Standard .22 pistol. Or if you're in a hurry, 3' of 2-4" PVC and a quart of Prestone. They crawl down the tube for a drink and don't come back. It needs to be boxed such that the neighbor's expensive Afghan or shar pei doesn't slurp it up.

    The .22 is in case the critters change their minds and crawl out.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA. USA
    Posts
    2,040
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    27
    Likes (Received)
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loggerhogger View Post
    The problem with some of the home made poisons is that the rat has to eat a certain amount for it to be fatal. If not enough to kill, it can make them sick, and once that happens, they won't go near it again. Modern poisons are actually an anti-coagulant. The rat never feels the effects of a non fatal dose, but once enough builds up in their system, they hemorrage internally to death. Just food for thought.
    My next door neighbor put out rat poison in his backyard. His dog ate some and
    started to bleed from the mouth. He said that she never ate any of the stuff
    before. Almost killed his dog. He did kill his parent in a car wreck though. Was
    fiddling around in his pocket for some change and rolled the car.
    Stupid clumsy bastard.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Puget Sound, Washington
    Posts
    3,204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    31
    Likes (Received)
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    My next door neighbor put out rat poison in his backyard. His dog ate some and
    started to bleed from the mouth. He said that she never ate any of the stuff
    before. Almost killed his dog. He did kill his parent in a car wreck though. Was
    fiddling around in his pocket for some change and rolled the car.
    Stupid clumsy bastard.
    That was uplifting.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Angleton, Texas
    Posts
    1,423
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    443
    Likes (Received)
    227

    Default

    A bowl of dog/cat food and a pellet gun are a lot more fun than the poison.

    For a long-term solution do as Hdpg suggests and get a cat.
    Last edited by KilrB; 07-22-2009 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Not wordy enough.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Syracuse, NY USA
    Posts
    9,364
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    424

    Default

    one thing about commercial rat poisons is that they make the rat die in the open looking for water, belive me you do not want a dead rat in your walls!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,816
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by surplusjohn View Post
    one thing about commercial rat poisons is that they make the rat die in the open looking for water, belive me you do not want a dead rat in your walls!
    I will second this one. I had a rat die in a wall and it took almost two years for it to stop creating a very distinctive odor.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Alpharetta, Ga USA
    Posts
    1,723
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    97
    Likes (Received)
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by surplusjohn View Post
    one thing about commercial rat poisons is that they make the rat die in the open looking for water, belive me you do not want a dead rat in your walls!
    Our sales manager had one in the wall of his office. We had to tear the sheetrock off to find it. Turned into a minor construction project.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Syracuse, NY USA
    Posts
    9,364
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    424

    Default

    we had one die in a brick wall of an old mill building, this was an outside 20 inch thick wall so we were not about to tear a hole in it. PU and it lasts for ever.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    245
    Likes (Received)
    1864

    Default

    Rats are much harder to poison than mice. They are suspicious of new food sources, and some sources state the rats will force younger/weaker members to sample new sources first. If you have control over the surrounding area, make the area unattractive to the rats before starting a baiting program.

    As for pellet guns, I've seen rats run off stringing guts, crawl off after being hit with a 12 gauge, and generally disappearing after what would be lethal shots on about any other animal. Biggest rat I ever saw was about 4", and he took 2 shots from a 12 gauge.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Angleton, Texas
    Posts
    1,423
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    443
    Likes (Received)
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    Rats are much harder to poison than mice. They are suspicious of new food sources, and some sources state the rats will force younger/weaker members to sample new sources first. If you have control over the surrounding area, make the area unattractive to the rats before starting a baiting program.

    As for pellet guns, I've seen rats run off stringing guts, crawl off after being hit with a 12 gauge, and generally disappearing after what would be lethal shots on about any other animal. Biggest rat I ever saw was about 4", and he took 2 shots from a 12 gauge.
    Eh ... he just dodged the pellets.

    Them rats is fast.

    A .22 pellet ... or LR ... in the right place will put a stop to 'em.

    The small target just makes it more challenging.

    I'd like to get my hands on the guy who had the bright idea of importing these:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutria

    As if "normal" rats weren't bad enough ...
    Last edited by KilrB; 07-22-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Not wordy enough.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Posts
    2,610
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    70
    Likes (Received)
    216

    Default

    1. Boric Acid Method
    2. Step 1
      Mix boric acid with chicken broth until you have a relatively thick paste.
    3. Step 2
      Roll the paste into small balls.
    4. Step 3
      Place the balls in areas where you've either seen rats or rat droppings.
    5. Step 4
      Watch the area carefully for signs of a dead rat.
      Plaster of Paris Method
    6. Step 1
      Combine 1 part plaster of Paris with 1 part flour.
    7. Step 2
      Season the mixture with either sugar or cocoa powder.
    8. Step 3
      Sprinkle the mixture in areas where you have seen rats or have seen evidence of rats in the form of droppings.
    9. Step 4
      Watch the area carefully for signs of expired rats.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •