What's new
What's new

Barber Coleman 6-10 gear hobb...questions, problems

1968FJ40

Aluminum
I recently acquired a Barber Coleman 6-10 gear hobb. This machine is pretty rough....among other things it was knocked over...which didn't do the castings any favors. Well, yesterday I ran power to it, everything seems to go roundy round just like it should. So now I'm trying to undo all the cobby ass repairs, and fix all the busted bits so I can use it. One problem is the mechanism for raising and lowering the spindle doesn't work properly....so some cobb bolted a plate to the end (top) of the ways that the spindle section travels on. Then they ran a jack screw through the plate that they could use to force the spindle down. I removed all that crap and undid the two allens that hold the bushing at the lower end of the lead screw. What had happened is the nut on the lower end of the lead screw had come off (probably somewhere in the coolant tank now). Judging by the wear in the threads I'm gonna guess it came off more than once. So what happens when you try to lower the head is the lead screw just threads out of the machine.
So here is my question, anybody out there familiar enough with this to know what goes on the end of the lead screw? It looks to me like if I just put a nut on it (without some sort of bearing) it would just continue to do what it's obviously been doing.
Of course my eventual problem is gonna be figuring out how this thing works! Been around most every kind of lathe and mill, but never seen a gear hobb in action....oh this is gonna be fun.

Kirk

Back