What's new
What's new

Ot. Recomendation for small chainsaw

secetal

Hot Rolled
Hi All, I got hit by the storm last night, had a tree limb come down across driveway. I tried to start my Jonsered 510 chainsaw but couldn't get it to go. I grabbed my sawzall and did the job but the chainsaw would have been easier. Years ago my dad had a small electric chainsaw that seemed to do a super job, also a small gas one. At my age I just hire someone to do the work. But I still want to have a couple of saws for emergency work( I have a 500' driveway). I am looking for some good ideas for 2 saws , gas and electric, light weight. Not!! Made in China! Thanks. Martin

If you already use Makita Li cordless tools, their 2 battery chainsaw is pretty decent for light work. Not too heavy, good for limbs up to 6" or so before getting too bogged down -- and you can use it in an instant and not worry if the gas is going to go bad before you need it again.

If you're on a ladder or up in a tree, the Stihl top handle saws are good, but pricey. Echo makes a cheaper one that's pretty decent.

For larger gas saws, I use Stihl but Husqvarna is just as good. Echo also makes a decent mid-size saw; or at least used to. Depending on where you shop and the dealers near you, you might get the best price on Echo.

Sounds to me like a cordless electric might now be good enough for your small stuff (and safer limbing) and a mid-size gas saw if a tree actually comes across your drive. Poulan still makes an OK gas saw, but price-for-price I'd rate the Echo, Husqvarna, and Stihl above it.

I have three electric chainsaws (plug-in Milwaukee for beam work, an old 14v Makita on a tree lopping stick, and the 18v dual 5Ahr Makita cordless). The 18v Makita is the only one I'd buy again.

Stihl-something. Choose whatever weight makes sense. I have a 290 and a 461. The 290 is a good limbing and general cutting-up saw. The 461 is for the big stuff, but with 36" bar, pretty unwieldy for general use. It only comes out when a big Doug Fir comes down, or I'm carving out big bowl blanks.

Regards.

Mike

Thats what my wife said Shawn. I had it serviced about a year ago. I wasn't to impressed with the job, even less when I couldn't start it this morning. Also the saw seems to get heavier the longer I own it😀

I have a little refurbished Husky, its a decent little saw but, not the greatest. I think that's because it's been "refurbished", so it's always been a little off.

I'm planning on taking out a bunch of trees over Christmas vacation, I'm thinking about an MS661R C-M.

For non daily use I think I'd go Husky or Echo, or maybe the Stihl non-pro line.

Poulan is just a rebadged Husqvarna. I have one and it's a decent saw, probably identical inside to the Husqvarna. But if I had a Stihl I'd tweek it up and it would almost surely outlast me. The Jonsered has a decent reputation too and I'd think about tuning it up.

An electric chainsaw is gonna suck once out of extension chord reach.

Best option if you don't mind dropping a coin or three...
Go where all the tree and lawn care people go.
A place that services what they sell.
I have a Husqvarna I bought from a locally owned hardware store, it get used maybe once or twice a year or so now that my property is cleared...never an issue with it.
Paid twice what a Poulan would cost at HomeDepot but I do not regret it.

Have had two 18" and one 20" Poulans in the last 15 years...they work OK and will do for here and there but after the last one, the 20", that kept being a pain in the ass from being cheaply made I went to the Husqvarna.
World of difference in performance.
When I have shit to cut up I aint got time to dick around with a POS saw from Home Depot any more...guess one gets like that the older he gets.

Poulan is just a rebadged Husqvarna. I have one and it's a decent saw, probably identical inside to the Husqvarna. But if I had a Stihl I'd tweek it up and it would almost surely outlast me. The Jonsered has a decent reputation too and I'd think about tuning it up.

Didn't know that...the Husqvarna I have has sure beat the hell out of the Home Depot Poulans I have had.
Just got lucky I guess.

Why not a cordless Sawzall ? They make tree cutting blades for them.
I've cut up about 1/3 of a large maple with a corded 12A Sawzall about 10 years ago. More convenient than a chainsaw for small branches, not nearly as productive as a real chainsaw on limbs over 6" diameter, but it will do the job if you know how to cut wedges. Last winter, a 50' chunk of neighbor's 75' pine came down across our mutual fence, and I tried out the M18 FUEL battery Sawzall in the cleanup. My impression is that it's got all the guts of the corded 12A Sawzall, but it goes through 5Ah batteries faster than the 6-slot charger can recharge them. The "rapid" charger (one of two nearly identical M12/M18 chargers) might be able to keep up, or you could use the massive 9Ah battery packs if you have the wallet for them.

The first time I took a trip on the Forest Service roads through the local National Forests, I resolved not to do that again without a small chainsaw and a come-along with 50' of rope. I'd be quite happy to take the M18 Sawzall with three or four battery packs in place of the chainsaw. In fact, I sent off a friend on an eclipse expedition earlier this year just so equipped.

If you are putting ethanol gasoline in your saw, the blame is all yours. Either find ethanol-free (recreational fuel), or use the $16 a gallon can fuel. If you can get your carb clean, it will start and run fine. Regards, Clark

The wife is always buying crap from info commercials and one day UPS drops off a Worx Jaw chain saw. I looked at it and thought what a joke. Well anyway a 3" limb came off a tree during a storm and I had lent my Stihl to my son. I took it out and I was shocked at how good it worked. I now have 2 of the Worx drills too, the batteries charge fast and they fit all their tools. Also have a Poulan too. Starts great. Bought it at Walmart and it was $100.00 I think. Oh if you use gas, buy premium recreational gas. Rich
2V Cordless JawSaw Chainsaw WG32 | WORX

I bought an Echo about a year ago and its a great little saw. It's lightweight, no vibration and reliable. It always starts 2nd pull and gives my brothers Sthil & Jonsered a run for they're money. I had a 95' spruce next to the house and 50' maple taken down 2 weeks ago and my little Echo didn't stop all day.

Ill offer this suggestion....

I have been using 2 cycle saws and stuff most of my adult life. It has worked out I replaced the diaphragm every couple three years.

About 8 or 10 years ago a buddy turned me on to using Stabil fuel additive... Since then I havent replace a single diaphragm in the chain saw, weed whacker, blower or hedge trimmer . Luck or whatever Im a believer.

Poulan, aptly named, you pull on it and pull on it and it never goes. Get a Stihl, mine sits for months, starts 2nd pull every time. Same with the Stihl weed wacker I bought, that thing is awesome, starts easy and runs like a train.

Back